Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Mixed Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 24-Dec-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

what is the best art to learn for grappling?
Old 28-Dec-2011, 04:30 AM
Errant

Great fundamentals drill, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkendo View Post
what is the best art to learn for grappling?
It depends on what kind of grappling you want.

If by "grappling" you mean "grappling on the ground", Brazilian Jiu-jitsu focuses most on that.

If you really like throwing people and also some basic ground work, Judo is better for you.

If you like a bit more ground work than Judo offers and maybe also some leg locks, Sambo might be more up your alley.

And of course, you can never go wrong with wrestling, which teaches control both standing and on the ground.
Old 18-Jan-2012, 06:17 PM
Valued Member

We practice these at my TKD. We still teach TKD predominantly and do close to 0 groundwork EVER, but we practice these and how to get out of them....just enough to be able to get back on our feet if we are taken down, not to submit the enemy.

I am surprised that you did not include North-South position.
Old 20-Feb-2012, 01:39 PM
Valued Member

bump
Old 01-Feb-2013, 03:32 AM
KaiZen & Liberalis

Interesting introduction. I wish I had an opportunity to practice these more frequently, but we don't regularly practice this in my style of art (TKD). Respect to the grapplers.

Improve your Kick Speed, improve your fight.
Old 02-Feb-2013, 12:07 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaekwonPRO View Post
We practice these at my TKD. We still teach TKD predominantly and do close to 0 groundwork EVER, but we practice these and how to get out of them....just enough to be able to get back on our feet if we are taken down, not to submit the enemy.

I am surprised that you did not include North-South position.
north-south is not really considered one of the big 4, to be honest scarf isnt by most people either- its normally guard, side control, mount and back mount
Old 02-Feb-2013, 03:03 PM
Angriest MAP resident....

Kesa/scarf should be! It is one of my trademarks - BJJ guys are quite dismissive of it, but at the risk of being controversial its because they don't utilize it properly.

Kimura made heavy use of it in his match with Helio

Let's make kesa sexy again!
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 02-Feb-2013, 03:15 PM
Valued Member

Very interesting article!

Kesa Gatame... that's the variation we use at our jujutsu newaza.
Old 02-Feb-2013, 03:48 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Kesa/scarf should be! It is one of my trademarks - BJJ guys are quite dismissive of it, but at the risk of being controversial its because they don't utilize it properly.

I assume you are talking of combining it with a High percentage sub like a Chinese burn?
Old 02-Feb-2013, 04:06 PM

Or a wet Lilly
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 02-Feb-2013, 04:23 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Or a wet Lilly
I hope that is a typo.
Old 02-Feb-2013, 04:34 PM
Valued Member

Now, back to the subject matter. I appreciate the work gone into this but do not think these are great examples of pins. Furthermore, if it is about a flow between the 4 pins then photos showing the transition steps would be much more valuable. EG Side into Mount transition, where you could show some common ways to avoid the trap, like blading and windscreen wipering the passing leg would be much more value than showing side, and hey presto Mount.

Also, I don't know why 'low mount' was shown, 'low mount' is just a good mount not reached yet, 'high mount' is mount and if you are setting up subs you should have your knees up under the armpit for both control and limb isolation.

Kesa, which I don't like anyway, the trail leg is over extended, I understand the base value in it but by putting it so close to the other guy you invite a simple shrimp, hook and pop out defense which will result in having your back taken.

Side, I don't like booty in the air, I understand it puts pressure on the shoulder, but it creates too much gap on the other side which allows escapes. Furthermore, in the X body picture the pressure arrows are incorrect because of this.
Old 03-Feb-2013, 12:54 AM
Valued Member

Quote:

Give me something to hold onto (like a gi) and score heavily for pins and im with you, in sub grappling or MMA scarf isnt too high a priority, you get rolled or your back taken and you only have limited subs available to you

in judo its different but sub grappling and MMA, you can keep it ill have back mount thank you very much
Old 03-Feb-2013, 05:14 AM

I learnt a sequence if about 10 subs from Marc Mcfann tht flow straight from it! It's also one of Erik Paulsons favourites

Like anything it has to be worked, which is one theory I have as to its fall from grace, but it really does offer a hell of a lot!its also easy to "abandon" if you start to lose it
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 03-Feb-2013, 10:00 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
I learnt a sequence if about 10 subs from Marc Mcfann tht flow straight from it! It's also one of Erik Paulsons favourites

Like anything it has to be worked, which is one theory I have as to its fall from grace, but it really does offer a hell of a lot!its also easy to "abandon" if you start to lose it
and how many of those subs get pulled off in competition on a regular basis

the theory falls down slightly because in the UK as you know a lot of judo guys move into MMA and sub grappling, and none of them work scarf that much (except as a pin from a throw and a transition into something better) even though they had plenty of experience in it