Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > General Topics > Introductions
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 30-Dec-2016, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaradia View Post
no business judging other arts en masse?

Do you students know this is the origin of your Gold belt?

alienate all the practitioners of both TCC and WC on here for no reason?
You are very naive. This is a business, I am running a business. I have people working for me that depend on that money to put food on the table for their kids. I have an obligation to my workers to market their livelyhood.

Look at any art that has been founded. Look at taekwondo, they say that it comes from ssirium and taekkyon, I've seen those, taekwondo looks nothing like that, it looks like shotokan karate, because that was what the founder knew. But to make it sounds special they said that it was korea's national sport dating back thousands of years. It is called marketing. Every martial art is guilty of it to some extent, especially the chinese ones that are shrouded in myths.

I think anybody can judge martial arts now, it is soon 2017, people can go on youtube and find lots and lots of videos to make up their own mind. I don't fear it at all, because when people come to me they see boxing with good form, they see kicks, they see takedowns, lots of good stuff and they can judge if they wanna learn that for themselves.

And I have to repeat, for me to put on that belt is no different than putting on a santa claus costume for christmas. They want the martial arts magic, so they believe in belts, I don't believe in belts. It is a marketing trick, belts have always been a marketing trick. You're not paying for the belt, you're paying for the master to give you the belt. If my former karate or taekwondo master fought a MMA guy they would lose, even if they guy had less experience, because he has better experinece. He can do stuff to them that they don't even know how to defend. I could beat them. Do people who only train taekwondo know how to break or pass guard? Do they know how to work the clinch? Do they even know how to box? Do they know how to defend a triangle? Of course not. They do taekwondo. But I admired those people and it helped me train.

I think this entire conversation is just silly. I don't want you to approve of me, I'm an adult man, I am disillusioned from the martial arts magic. I just love teaching, I want to discuss sparring exercises, how other people in my position do things. Share experiences with work etc. I like my job.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 02:43 AM
Valued Member

You don't have the qualifications or the experience to back it up. If I was looking at a TMA I would look at the qualifications of the trainer, their pedigree and how long they have been teaching, If I am looking at a sport biased art i.e. Kickboxing I would be looking at their fight record in addition to their training background.

Assuming your trolling. If not got a link to your training?
Old 30-Dec-2016, 02:54 AM
Angriest MAP resident....

Post videos or jog on
www.calgaryjkd.com

Last edited by Hannibal; 30-Dec-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Show me where I said Bruce was a master
If Bruce Lee wasn't a master, yet founded his own martial art, marketed it and you actually teach and practise it, then you shouldn't have a problem with other people doing the same.

You know nothing of my skill level. I've done martial arts since I was in elementary. You're just assuming. You need to calm yourself down, the way you're typing now is very wierd, you seem like you have some intense emotional reaction. You need to relax and think rationally about this.

How many of the martial arts that people consider traditional were founded in the mid nintees? How many of them are marketed by lies and exageration? They are being marketed, JKD is famous because Bruce Lee is famous. The same goes for Wing Chun, look at the Ip Man movies with Donnie Yen and compare it with the actual events, the movie is a fabrication, the guy did not fight ten black belts from the japanese army simultaniously and win.

By the way, since we are talking about the belt system. It is also a very new invention. But you can find people who say that it is from the samurai wearing white riding out to battle, to symbolize they were ready to die, then the blood on their clothes coagulated and turned black. And then we have all the techniques taught that doesn't work, like the punches and blocks from various kata that are being emphasised heavily for people to earn their belts. They have to learn pure garbage to earn these belts people here defend the legitimacy of.

It is what it is. I am among the better people, because I give them the magic of traditional martial arts, without teaching them pointless stuff that doesn't work. While other places have people do long complicated interprative dance moves that supposedly will teach them how to defend against attacks from all four directions.

I actually took what Bruce Lee, The Gracies and MMA taught us to heart.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 03:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Post videos or jog on troll
In all honesty, Hannibal is not so stupid that he doesn't understand that nobody would want to post a video after getting such hostility right of the bat. Hannibal started it, I finished it. The guy basicly fell apart when attacking me for being to young, when the founder of his martial art was even younger.

And in all honesty, nobody is so stupid that they wouldn't know that people never post a video after getting this kind of treatment, This guy was accusing me of all sorts of things, this guy is a nasty, what a nasty nasty guy!
Old 30-Dec-2016, 03:24 AM

I think this shows that you don't understand JKD half as much as you think you do

You aren't putting up videos because you know that sunlight is a tremendous disinfectant...You are just another fraud posting online and teaching when you have no business in doing so
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 30-Dec-2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDan View Post
In all honesty, Hannibal is not so stupid that he doesn't understand that nobody would want to post a video after getting such hostility right of the bat. Hannibal started it, I finished it. The guy basicly fell apart when attacking me for being to young, when the founder of his martial art was even younger.

And in all honesty, nobody is so stupid that they wouldn't know that people never post a video after getting this kind of treatment, This guy was accusing me of all sorts of things, this guy is a nasty, what a nasty nasty guy!
I have said you are a fraud - you are by your own admission
I have said you shouldn't be teaching - you shouldn't
I have said you lack understanding about other arts - you do

So no, I am not being nasty I am being truthful....Blunt yes, nasty.no
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 30-Dec-2016, 03:55 AM
Valued Member

Quote:

Some might call you delusional, but rationalization is a common defense mechanism. Seems you are caught in a lie and are looking for a way out. Rationalizing your behavior, in other words, making excuses.

Look it doesn't matter your perceived rank. What matters is are you a good, decent, honorable person. Despite the excuses you have, your rationalization, it comes down to whether or not you are honorable in what you do.

People do question how good or qualified Bruce Lee was based on claims, but he wasn't known for making excuses and most would say he was very honorable. That makes him credible and on the path to mastering himself.

If you are not on the path to mastering yourself with honor, you will not be a good master to others. In the end, your legacy will be lost in corruption and fraud.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 10:39 AM
Valued Member

I feel like Simon or Mitch made this post because of lack of site traffic. This can't be real.

Quote:
I wish there were a Brazilian Aikido to add to my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- hrig
Old 30-Dec-2016, 11:02 AM
Lord Mitch of MAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
I feel like Simon or Mitch made this post because of lack of site traffic. This can't be real.
My kids are on holiday, I'm too busy flying drones, playing boardgames, assembling toys and refereeing arguments

Mitch
Old 30-Dec-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
This is a business, I am running a business. I have people working for me that depend on that money to put food on the table for their kids. I have an obligation to my workers to market their livelyhood.
Given the scope/bredth of the School/Club/Organisation which you claim to head, surely you have a listing and/or link to a website, Facebook page or Twitter account, as most businesses these days do, that you'd be able to share with us all here?

Travess
Old 30-Dec-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Wado View Post
People do question how good or qualified Bruce Lee was based on claims, but he wasn't known for making excuses and most would say he was very honorable. That makes him credible and on the path to mastering himself.
If I remember correctly the circumstances around his death, he was on the couch of some woman who often played seductive mistresses in chinese movies.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travess View Post
Given the scope/bredth of the School/Club/Organisation which you claim to head, surely you have a listing?

Travess
I pay my taxes, yes.

As I've mentioned, I used to study law. I was very thorough, in the begining I was going to call it center for Choi-Kwan taekwondo, then just teach mma and everybody would think it was the best taekwondo they'd ever seen. But some guy in australia actually did that allready, he is pretty legit too, though I would say I have a better ground game.

What I do is nothing unusual, I consolidated with other people who did the same thing before I opened up my place. You're making a storm in a glass of water. My school is pretty good, they punch correctly, kick correctly, takedown correctly and submit correctly. Its not like the black belts you see on martial art fail videos over at youtube.
Old 30-Dec-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I pay my taxes, yes.
Didn't ask, don't care.

Quote:
I've mentioned, I used to study law. I was very thorough, in the begining I was going to call it center for Choi-Kwan taekwondo, then just teach mma and everybody would think it was the best taekwondo they'd ever seen. But some guy in australia actually did that allready, he is pretty legit too, though I would say I have a better ground game.

What I do is nothing unusual, I consolidated with other people who did the same thing before I opened up my place...
All very interesting, but none of which is related to my post, which you yourself quoted as this being a response to?

Quote:
You're making a storm in a glass of water.
Am I? I made no references to you as a Martial artist,
to the nature of your business, or to you as an individual. What I did do, was politely ask you if you'd be kind enough to direct me (us) to any on-line presence that your business has? (a question that you spent 2 paragraphs avoiding.)

You yourself said that you had an obligation to your employees to 'Market' your business, and I was just curious as to which markets they included.

Travess
Old 30-Dec-2016, 12:33 PM
Valued Member

So belts are only for kids because they're worthless, but to proof your TKD worth you say: "Look, I would have had a BB if I weren't a kid."
After three years.

No art done longer than four years.
Great, you scratched some fundamentals.

I hope you're honest towards your students, that you might show them some little things, but nothing big.

Side note: Gold belts look ridiculous. and I would never take someone your age serious with it.
Gee, I couldn't take an old bloke serious with it.