Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Articles and Reviews » Mixed Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 11-Apr-2012, 10:59 PM
Hold strong not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELSGYMSINGH View Post
After viewing these vids he just might be using magic and virgin sacrifice... cause there aint no way that his very professional and well trained, physically equal opponents were this outclassed simply by Spider only training as the noirmal MMA practitioner does and just being a better athlete.... no friggin way.... just look at these "Ownings" to present just a sample and we don't even wanna start on Lyotas stoppages. They are able to do this because the people they fought do not respect traditional training regimens... and some have still not learned::::::

Anderson Silva 2011 highlights - YouTube

If the UFC ever needed a enema by a Traditionally trained MMA Striker before the coming of the Spider it will never need another.... natural talent noted this Master's power comes from skill, codified form and integrated Eastern and Western Martial systems.... Muay Thai is a competitive style of silat born from the Muay Boran Close Quarters Combat System whose foundation is Mahayana Buddism or the Spiritual Warrior ethos that spawned Chan Budiihsm for the Shaolin Order ... This guy not only owns people he has beaten... he schooled them ... sela
i was talking about renzo. not silva.
i know nothing of silva's striking background. however i've met some technical muay thai practitioners that teach stuff in forms that come close to TMA but i dont think the forms is what got silva to be so good. hard work, genetics, good skill development and talent.
check out Randy Couture - never learnt forms but was any excellent fighter. because he analysed every fight and planned his game plan.

A cleaved skull no longer plots.
Old 11-Apr-2012, 11:04 PM
Valued Member

lol... ok Zaad .... I understand where you are coming from.... thanks
Author of The Art of Western Tai Chi Ch'uan
Old 11-Apr-2012, 11:59 PM
Valued Member

Within yin there is yang.
Within yang there is yin.
Within this thread, something is missing.

....... for what its worth is to keep it real, martial arts are not always about fighting at all, even when your sparring. Sometimes its just about fitness and learning some technique. .
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:09 AM
Valued Member

Thats why the links bro.... so you can fill in the gaps ... perhaps you can answer the question I gave in the first post: Are only Asians able to call changes to a Lineage Systems "Authentic" - and by this I am sure they mean effective, when they make changes to them? or Are Westerners capable of creating or evolving Authentic Kung Fu Systems equal to or greater then the Asian transmissions that they have mastered?

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH; 12-Apr-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:17 AM
Valued Member

After you understand chin,,,,,,

You can strike it then perform Koshi Guruma

....... for what its worth is to keep it real, martial arts are not always about fighting at all, even when your sparring. Sometimes its just about fitness and learning some technique. .
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:20 AM
Valued Member

The Spritual Warrior seeks to become a concealed vessal for the Ten Thousand things of Heaven and Earth.

Because he is a "Spritual warrior", and not a "Spiritual Warrior", being a sprite, the warrior cannot remember Ten Things, let alone Ten Thousand

Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:23 AM
Valued Member

Go on MMan.... I am listening.... Wax as they say the frig on.... lol... seriously bro .. talk to us
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:29 AM
Valued Member

Homogenous and ethnocentric statements like “Authentic Kung Fu” are derived from xenophobic perceptions of reality and are only appropriate to publically present when one is unbalanced by the power of change.

And other statements of "Internal Kung Fu" are also derived from xenophobic perceptions of reality.

For the reality of it, long ago, the term Kung Fu (Gong/Gung Fu) was never intended to represent a Asian Martial Art.

Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:35 AM
Valued Member

kool..... please elaborate.... how did you come by or develop this position.....
Old 12-Apr-2012, 04:38 PM
Valued Member

I know some of you will think I am belaboring a point but I have to say this.... I was wrong about Renzo Gracie being the one to integrate form or internal skill into MMA or Close Quarters Combat. It is Rickson who does this and does it well. He specializes in integrating Pranayama into his regimen. I do not know if his is a Systemic view in the classic sense of Martial Arts (Weapons, Mortal Combat Applications) but it should be:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1r5LYHg4U&feature=related"]Rickson Gracie Gracie Jiujitsu Yoga Breathing Method - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNslQA_Z4uk&feature=related"]Rickson Gracie Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Here is another example of what Zaad and I were discussing about Hardwork, Fight-planning and Traditional Form and Internal skill development all integrated to make a great MMA Fighter: Lyota Machida

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxqrtd2aSM"]Lyoto Machida Highlights - A tribute to the Dragon - YouTube[/ame]

I think that GSP is the best example of what Zaad was emphasizing....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJe0nsJut-8"]GSP talks training - YouTube[/ame]

This leads me to what GSP emphasizes in this documentary: Can we evolve ourselves in the West? The exploration of this question leads to me asking you guys about the Healing the Combat Athlete question that has plaqued GSP. It is possible and valid to ask what type of Preventive medical regimen he is on. Could the regimens suggested in my article and what is presented in the Rickson Gracie vid on internal skill development have helped him balance his hugely external training regimen?

Your thoughts....
Old 12-Apr-2012, 05:00 PM
Hold strong not

internal skills in sport science are mental skills and mental toughness and developing these attributes. yoga is great form developing internal mental skills and putting an athlete into there IZOF - Internal/Individual Zone of Optimal Functioning.
But it depends on the person, some people react better to higher or lower stress levels.
I highly recommend you read some sport psychology, you may find some great stuff in the subject material Mr. Singh.
Traditional Forms and Kata go a long way into skill learning - make fighter makes there own kata as a fight plan (some without knowing what kata is) e.g. BJJ flow plans. I know if i gain mount i should move to ezekiel, if that fails i have the option of snake choke or arm triangle, if the arm triangle fails i have the option of armbar or snake choke. That is very similar to the game plans set about in forms. Forms are pre-developed game plans.

A cleaved skull no longer plots.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 05:28 PM
Valued Member

Just call me G ... brother .... I have plenty of people who know my titles... lol.... anyway I may need to read more on what you specialize in: Sports Medicine... Please recommend some books and I will do some work on it... also please give any links so that the other readers can follow along and give their input....

Please tell me your experiences with the Heaing the Combat Athlete stuff mentioned in the thread and since you are a sports medicine guy... what are your thoughts on Master Bisio's work....
Old 12-Apr-2012, 05:42 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELSGYMSINGH View Post
kool..... please elaborate.... how did you come by or develop this position.....
The term Kung Fu (Gong Fu/Gung Fu) is a misnomer. And in previous centuries, it was nevered used to mean a martial art.

Old 12-Apr-2012, 06:22 PM
Valued Member

Help us become Warrior Scholars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47MartialMan View Post
The term Kung Fu (Gong Fu/Gung Fu) is a misnomer. And in previous centuries, it was nevered used to mean a martial art.
I believe you bro.... please hook me up with where ya found this out so I can read up on it.... a credible link to a book on amazon or something else.... Zaad's motto on his profile is "Prove it!!" Im not that critical but I do like to research informed opinions and yours has a tone of being an informed opinion.... if the thread means anything its about helping each other get smarter on the passion we all love.... That is why I presented so much information... so that others could look it up, reflect and fill in any gaps in the conclusions that I presented.... So please.. hook us up.... so we Pugilistic, Spiritual Warriors and can do some work and become Warrior Scholars.... Thanks

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH; 12-Apr-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wording, gramma
Old 12-Apr-2012, 06:40 PM
Valued Member

Healing the Combat Athlete Question for Zaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaad View Post
internal skills in sport science are mental skills and mental toughness and developing these attributes. yoga is great form developing internal mental skills and putting an athlete into there IZOF - Internal/Individual Zone of Optimal Functioning.
But it depends on the person, some people react better to higher or lower stress levels.
I highly recommend you read some sport psychology, you may find some great stuff in the subject material Mr. Singh.
Traditional Forms and Kata go a long way into skill learning - make fighter makes there own kata as a fight plan (some without knowing what kata is) e.g. BJJ flow plans. I know if i gain mount i should move to ezekiel, if that fails i have the option of snake choke or arm triangle, if the arm triangle fails i have the option of armbar or snake choke. That is very similar to the game plans set about in forms. Forms are pre-developed game plans.
Thanks for that and you already got my request for your recommendations on reference material that you follow so I can put in some work on that subject... You already have my references from Bisio and Jerry Alan Johnson's book from the post.... Have you read Khandi Madama's work with using Yoga with MMA Grapplers to prevent injury and heal? what are your thoughts on her work.... If you have not read these works I have reviews on them and find them very well done for the pugilistic adept...

With that response I am very interested in your opinion on preventive health aspects that I mentioned in the healing the combat athlete section. I read your profile and you are or were and have graduated from a sports medicine program and I am impressed with that and would ask that you share alittle on the subject.... What are your experiences with the East/West approach the Master Bisio has published on and I cited in part. Do you think it helps and could have helped GSP? Do you use them yourself? If not what do you use to stay preventively healthy and if you do not use the traditional methods I have mentioned what why?

Also thanks for the involvement in the thread...

Additional note: What Zaad is talking about, and has put in a colloquial tone that makes what I have written seem so eridite, is insightfully impacting and quite profound. He couples East and West methods, in conclusion, rendering both understandable and accessable. His thoughts are what I wish to bring more responses to as they lead us to the big question of the thread.... Are we as Westerners who have learned transmissions from the East able to evolve what we have learned and still call it "Authentic" or as the term connotes: Truely Effective?

Some thoughts...

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH; 12-Apr-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: wording, additional info