Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Japanese Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 22-Dec-2011, 02:46 AM
Valued Member

Rereading "A Change of Pace" makes me so impatient for my black belt. Hard as I try, my training pace is anything but focused on the small stuff. It's all about looking good and avoiding to look like a fool in front of everybody. I know I'm doing it and it's not very helpful, but I get into the same mindset every time in class. There are only a few times I'm calm and not hyper enough to notice something and have an "aha!" moment. I guess when I get to that milestone the "drive" to be 'awesome' quickly will disappear? I'm learning so much from this site but I want to whack myself nevertheless looking back.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 05:29 AM
Registered Mapper

Very true...I just got my shodan in kenpo and I definately felt a new level of pressure standing infront of the class as a leader as opposed to just being a senior student...excellent post I'll definately take your suggestions on gauging your progress to heart... Arigato gozin mas
Old 29-Apr-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered Mapper

Well written thread!

A very well written article. I myself got my 'black belt' (shodan) in the bujinkan nearly 2 years ago and have just been given my Nidan, I have learnt more in the last year and a half than I did in my first few years of training, a whole world opened up to me.
Old 24-May-2012, 02:13 AM
Registered Mapper

might I say, I think you're very lucky that you have more freedom after getting your Dan grade. I can't say the same thing for myself.. I knew that Shodan is the point where I truly begin my training.. and I expected to be able to train harder than I've ever been.

but in reality, I got much smaller portion of training and almost no freedom at all. Instead of being told to train harder to set an example, I was told to lower the intensity of my training so that the new guys don't freak out. the intensity of training I get now is much less than when I was a white or brown belt. needless to say, I'm very disappointed.. in fact, I'm considering switching to another martial arts that allow me to train as hard as I want.
Old 15-Apr-2014, 07:55 PM
Valued Member

Great article. It really is just the beginning. I like the analogy, that the white belt represents knowing nothing, and black belt represents being full of techniques. But you are so full of techniques, they are muddled all together and after that you try to lose the techniques as you learn to move past them, and as you train your black belt begins to grey, and shred, and turn white again.