Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Styles » Tae Kwon Do
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 07-Sep-2014, 05:00 PM
Valued Member

Gen. Choi was not exiled, but he fled from SK to live a life in exile. He did so for many reasons, paramount among them was his outspoken criticism of the military dictator.
Now he did not flee in 1974, nor did he plan to move there in 1974. He fled in early 1972. The sources are sooooooo many, including Gen. Choi's Memoirs, the "About The Author" section of the Encyclopedia of TKD, Vol. 1 & all the Condensed versions of that. The full 15 Vols & the Spanish edition are available for free download on Blue Cottage TKD. GM C.K. Choi's book confirms this, as he was instrumental in the move, as does GM Park Jong-Soo's interview from Rising Sun Productions. There were several interviews of Gen. Choi where he talks about the 1972 move. You can check the interview Dr. Kimm did in TKD Times, as well as his 900 page 2013 book TKD History.

As far as the schism goes The Modern History of TKD by Kang & Lee, as well as the Yook April 2002 interview of Kukki TKD Titan GM Lee Ching-Woo, along with Gen. Choi's Memoirs, Dr. Kimm & CK Choi's aforementioned books all talk about the schism being when Gen. Choi was elected the 3rd president of the Tae SOO Do Assoc. & forcing the name change to his TKD label. These sources all talk about the several attempts to compromise that never worked.
By always I was meaning that the KMA community never was able to work together since attempts in the 1940s & 50s under the Kong Soo Do banner.

Dr. Kim Un-Yong has stated repeatedly that his vision had 3 parts to it:
1- make TKD the Korean national sport
2- internationalize it
3- seek Olympic sport status
Just 2 months after he took office as the 6th president of the KTA he had Gen. Park write Kukki TKD. The following year he completed the KKW that was started by the 5th President Kim Yong-Chae. As the article correctly states the wtf was formed in May 73 during the 1st TKD WCs. Dr. Kim envisioned a new world body to regulate TKD as a world sport, as the KTA was to local to do that. By looking to create the wtf he knew it would combat the ITF. Gen. Choi liked to say he fled Korea to save TKD & the SK govt responded by creating the wtf. Actually Dr. Kim wanted his own global group as part of his overall plan. Read his book & check Alex Gillis as he consulted Dr. Kim's book for his work.

As for when Gen. Choi went to NK, see his Memoirs. He also lists it in the back of all his books post 1980 & Dr. Kimm, alex gillis & C.K. Choi all confirm this as 1980, not 1981.

Sir you are interested in TKD's history, so I recommend all the above sources, especially Mr. Gillis & Dr. Kim's 900 page master compilation.
Gen. Choi's 15 vols, 1965 book, Dr. Kim's TKD Times article on his interview of Gen. Choi, Kang & Lee' Modern History & Yook's interview of GM Lee are all available for free on the web.
Good Hunting!
Old 07-Sep-2014, 10:32 PM
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Very nice sources.. thanks
Old 08-Sep-2014, 03:39 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Very nice sources.. thanks
You are most welcome!
Also don't misunderstand his work is excellent & in many ways groundbreaking, especially for people like me. So I only pointed out what are minor mistakes he made with reference to dates, etc. His substance is strong, I just didn't want people attacking his good substance by pointing out minor errors in things like dates, especially when some dates come from Korea, who at times use different calendars & count years differently.
Old 08-Sep-2014, 10:15 AM
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDstudent View Post
You are most welcome!
Also don't misunderstand his work is excellent & in many ways groundbreaking, especially for people like me. So I only pointed out what are minor mistakes he made with reference to dates, etc. His substance is strong, I just didn't want people attacking his good substance by pointing out minor errors in things like dates, especially when some dates come from Korea, who at times use different calendars & count years differently.
No worries. His article, as published in Journal of Asian Martial Arts, was well researched, well written, well documented, and peer reviewed. Anything that corrects any errors in his work should show source documentation as well, just to be on a more even keel. Thanks for showing sources!