Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Styles » Tae Kwon Do
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 09-Jun-2006, 09:55 PM
Valued Member

That was more a "you could start a thread about it, or just look it up yourself" comment. And as you said, no need to search now thanks to you an Thomas.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 11:55 PM
Fundimentaly Manipulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickChick
Did anyone bother to read through the link I gave?

(no need to go through 10 mins of Google Search )
I did, very informative, thanks KC, and thank you also to Thomas, for his informative post.

Badger.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 06:55 AM
o_o

Quote:
Did anyone bother to read through the link I gave?

(no need to go through 10 mins of Google Search )
Yes. That was where I found out about General Choi's violent inkstone assault.

And having heard it in his own words, Choi comes across as if racism was the sole reason for the creation of Taekwon-Do. To get one up on the Japanese.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 10:51 AM
Fundimentaly Manipulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok2005
Yes. That was where I found out about General Choi's violent inkstone assault.

And having heard it in his own words, Choi comes across as if racism was the sole reason for the creation of Taekwon-Do. To get one up on the Japanese.
Do you blame him??? If I was him, or any Korean, I would have done the same.
Kamsahamnida Master Choi.

Badger.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 12:21 PM
o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkd-badger
Well erm... Yes actually.

I'm all for creating a new Martial Art and exploring for better ways. But Choi pushed himself to create this system and fought long and hard to change the name from Tang Soo Do... Just to show the Japanese.

Oh and the inkstone attack. Way for Integrity and Self-Control, General!
Old 10-Jun-2006, 12:47 PM
Valued Member

Wow, we're bashing the General again, I didn't see that coming, did anyone else see that coming? *sigh*
Old 10-Jun-2006, 01:40 PM
Carpe Jugulum

Rag dissing the General wow a MAP first surely!!
Old 10-Jun-2006, 03:35 PM
Possibly insane.

Location: England - either in the far north or the far south depending on the time of year.
Oppression is no excuse for racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok2005
Oh and the inkstone attack. Way for Integrity and Self-Control, General!
Proper martial arts though.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 03:51 PM
Valued Member

http://www.taekwondotimes.com/thegeneralpasses.html

When asked if he ever regreted dedicating his life to Taekwon-Do, he stated: I taught Taekwon-Do without regard to race, religion, nationality, or ideology. In this respect, I am the happiest man in the world, and I am proud to have left my footprint in this world. His place in history is secure as he will live in the hearts and minds of all those who love Taekwon-Do.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 04:11 PM
o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadhoose
Rag dissing the General wow a MAP first surely!!
I don't see you defending him.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 04:12 PM
Carpe Jugulum

Quote:
When asked if he ever regreted dedicating his life to Taekwon-Do, he stated: I taught Taekwon-Do without regard to race, religion, nationality, or ideology. In this respect, I am the happiest man in the world, and I am proud to have left my footprint in this world. His place in history is secure as he will live in the hearts and minds of all those who love Taekwon-Do.
Well im no expert but isnt that the opposite of racism?
Old 10-Jun-2006, 06:28 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkd-badger
Well the funny thing is he tried to make something distant from Japanese martial arts as did the Korean government, but ended up with forms and basics that still do not look that much different...

I did like the part in the article where he states that he created TKD in the 1950s and that it didn't exist during Jesus's time (or something like that), a tip of the hat to the "2000 yr old lineage" BS.

I was confused where he said his second name is Taekwondo, given to him by God. Did people actually call him "Taekwondo"?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Korean government was responsible for some of the atrocities that they put on him. They really screwed the Moo Duk Kwan and Hwang Kee, plus they had so much corruption that it's probably true. The Korean government and their puppet the WTF more or less destroyed most of the Korean MA that came out after post occupation. They're like the Empire, complete with Death Star and star destroyers.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 07:40 PM
JKD/Kali Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalRage
I was confused where he said his second name is Taekwondo, given to him by God. Did people actually call him "Taekwondo"?
I think he might have been speaking metaphorically. Kind of like, "This was my destiny..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalRage
They're like the Empire, complete with Death Star and star destroyers.
Welcome to the Rebellion, my friend.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 08:48 PM
Valued Member

The Ink Stone...

Dear Ran,

Regarding the integrity of General Choi...

If you where to further investigate the context of his life and the period of his like in which this instance occured you will understand that the Choi Hong Hi was not more than a lad when this occurred.

I believe that service in the Japanese Military, years of imprisonment, near execution, and the numerous years he spent assisting in the resurrection of the Han Nation of Korea (Dae Han) as well as his further life changing experience during the war against communism all assisted in creating the General Choi that is reveared by many!

After all...who can say they never made an error in their life that for which they do not have remourse. I believe any man woman or child with a conscience will agree that they have remourse for something!

AND AGAIN I ASK WHY YOU PROMOTE THE NAME OH DO KWAN WHILE CONTINUING TO BASH ITS CREATOR?

Regarding those who question why no one will stand in defense of the now deceased General Choi...I would assume that it takes no great amount of warrior spirit to do so. I mean even a scared child has more Indomitable Warrior Spirit than those so weak as to cowardly attack the integrity of a great military leader who was one of the founders of a nation only after he has passed.

Prior to his death I didnt see these posts popping up from the blue...furthermore I dont see anyone running their mouths in front of Choi Jung Hwa, Rhee Ki Ha, or any of the others who have devoted their lives to carrying on the Legacy, Legend, and Dream of General Choi!

To General Choi:

Thank you for what you gave my family. In your death you stated that we no longer needed you. You stated that you had two names one granted by your family (Choi Hong Hi) and one blessed by Heaven (Taekwon-Do)...You continued to say that we no longer needed you because we are all Taekwon-Do!

For the Legacy you created and gave to my family I stand today as your prodigy. I will honor and fight to defend that which you gave to my family almost four decades ago.
(JUNG AHN BON KWAN, SEOUL KOREA DAE HAN TAEKWON-DO OH DO KWAN SABUM #520)

I AM TAEKWON-DO...TAEKWON!

Last edited by Spookey; 10-Jun-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-Jun-2006, 09:47 PM
Carpe Jugulum

A very well spoken post spookey.Knda what i wanted to say but im not as eloquent as yourself.
Taekwon