Old 08-Jun-2006, 10:06 PM
o_o

Why was General Choi exiled from Korea?

As above.
Old 08-Jun-2006, 11:19 PM
Valued Member

Dear Sir...

Dear Sir,

As oppossed to getting into a lengthy conversation regarding the government, society, creation of an independent nation, and the other highly indepth situations which all contributed to his self exhile...

I seriously recommend reading his autobiography. By doing so you will hear his story in his own words!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

~~~One martial artist to the masses I humbly request that we all act as a whole to prevent this thread from becoming what we all know it can. Let his lifes work be noted while his spirit be allowed to rest!
Old 09-Jun-2006, 12:39 AM
Valued Member

to get to the other side!

no, no, wait.... I thought you said chicken......
Old 09-Jun-2006, 02:36 AM
Valued Member

As a student of Korean MA I am surprised that you haven't read any of the history concerning Gen. Choi

Aside from his autobiography ... I have read the Moral Guidebook a Vol 3 in a trio.... then Volume One: Motherland, the Land in Turmoil and Volume Two: The Vision of Exile: Any Place under Heaven is Do-Jang ...

If you're lazy read this article of Gen Choi's extensive interview in TKD Times
http://www.geocities.com/tkd_unknown/45.html

Page 54 explains in detail the reason why he exiled to Canada
Old 09-Jun-2006, 07:56 AM
o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickChick
As a student of Korean MA I am surprised that you haven't read any of the history concerning Gen. Choi
My current instructor doesn't care all that much for history or tradition, and my ITF instructors curiously never told me this fact despite lengthy car trips and group discussions on the founder. - Came as news to me.

As did Choi smashing somebodys head with an inkstone because he lost money in a card game. Hmm....
Old 09-Jun-2006, 08:50 AM
Valued Member

Actually he was just trying to write a letter with the ink stone, its just he did really understand the proper application of using the inkstone....
Old 09-Jun-2006, 09:04 AM
o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Cullen
Actually he was just trying to write a letter with the ink stone, its just he did really understand the proper application of using the inkstone....
Ink Kwon-Do, eh?
Old 09-Jun-2006, 09:58 AM
Valued Member

I actually meant to put *didn't understand*, kind of ruined that joke.

Persoanlly I've been that bothered about Gen Choi as a person so haven't read any of the books KickChick has pointed out, but doing about 10 minutes of google work should bring up enough pages (with sources, and quotes from the Gen himself) to give you a rough idea of what happened.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok2005
My current instructor doesn't care all that much for history or tradition, and my ITF instructors curiously never told me this fact despite lengthy car trips and group discussions on the founder. - Came as news to me.

As did Choi smashing somebodys head with an inkstone because he lost money in a card game. Hmm....
don't feel too bad about it, as long as your fighting skills are top notch people will forgive you.

and where's my family guy comment dammit?!
Old 09-Jun-2006, 01:42 PM
o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZ
don't feel too bad about it, as long as your fighting skills are top notch people will forgive you.

and where's my family guy comment dammit?!
Hehe. What are you on about? Your Family Guy Comment?
Old 09-Jun-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hehe. What are you on about? Your Family Guy Comment?

Last edited by MaverickZ; 09-Jun-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 02:08 PM
o_o

LOL!

"I haven't felt this bad since that time I went to the Museum"
*Flashback*
"Why did the dinosaurs die?"
"Because you touch yourself at night!"

-

You seen Season 4 yet?
Old 09-Jun-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
LOL!

"I haven't felt this bad since that time I went to the Museum"
*Flashback*
"Why did the dinosaurs die?"
"Because you touch yourself at night!"

-

You seen Season 4 yet?
probably, it's one of the very few things i actually turn the tv on for
Old 09-Jun-2006, 05:21 PM
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

From D. Burd ick's People and Events of T'aekwondo's Formative Years (1996)
Quote:
Internationalization efforts became even more fervent after the Tokyo Olympics of 1964. On Aug. 5, 1965, the K.T.A. was renamed the Korean Taekwondo Association and in that same year, Hong-Hi Choi led a "Good-Will Mission of Taekwon-Do" on a tour of fourteen countries. The Tokyo games also inspired Gwan-Sik Min, President of K.A.S.A., in 1966 to propose that a training center be built to prepare Korean athletes for international competition. President Park assented. In response, the International Taekwon-Do Federation (I.T.F.) was founded on Mar. 22, 1966, with Hong-Hi Choi appointed as president of the new organization. Under the I.T.F., t'aekwondo was spread to the Netherlands (1966), Taiwan (1967), the United Kingdom (1967), and elsewhere. 1967 marks the apex of Gen. Choi's career in Korea, since it was in that year that he invited Masutatsu Oyama, by then one of the most famous karateka in Japan, to come to Seoul to discuss eventually changing Oyama's Kyokushinkai karate-do to t'aekwondo.

T'aekwondo continued to gain in importance in Korea in the 1970s. Construction of the Kukkiwon, the Seoul headquarters of the t'aekwondo, began on Nov. 19, 1971, and the building was inaugurated on Nov. 30, 1972. On Feb. 14, 1972, t'aekwondo became a part of the official curriculum of Korea's primary schools. It entered the middle school curricula on Aug. 31 and on Dec. 5, the National High School and Middle School T'aekwondo Federation was established, followed by the National Collegiate T'aekwondo Federation on Dec. 28, 1972.

A schism between Hong-Hi Choi and the K.T.A. appeared in 1973. Choi planned to move to Toronto in 1974, and take the I.T.F. headquarters with him. Young-Wun Kim (President of the K.T.A.) was dismayed by this move, because he believed that the international headquarters of t'aekwondo should remain in Korea. As a result, Kim severed the K.T.A.'s ties to the I.T.F. and supported the formation of a new organization, the World Taekwondo Federation (W.T.F.), which was founded during the first World Taekwondo Championships held at the Kukkiwon from May 25 to May 28, 1973. The first meeting of the W.T.F was on May 26, and the organization was officially established on the last day of the championships. Choi responded by having J.C. Kim host the I.T.F.'s World Taekwon-Do Championships in Montreal in 1974, marking his determination to compete with the W.T.F. in Seoul.

The distance between the I.T.F. and W.T.F. widened with the years. Hong-Hi Choi publicly denounced R.O.K. President Chung-Hee Park in September, 1977, claiming that that Park was "using Taekwon-Do for his political ends." Choi also made several peace overtures towards the D.P.R.K., and in 1981 he took a demonstration team of sixteen black belts to that country for ten days. While there, he met with not only his brother (whom he had not seen for more than twenty years) and one of his aunts, but also President Il-Sung Kim, who gave such audiences only on very rare occasions. Choi today is responsible for the spread of t'aekwondo to the D.P.R.K., and works for the re-unification of Korea. As a result of his work with North Korea, some South Koreans regard him as a traitor.
Old 09-Jun-2006, 09:34 PM
Valued Member

Did anyone bother to read through the link I gave?

(no need to go through 10 mins of Google Search )