Lifting and Martial Arts: a fine balance.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lad_Gorg, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

So, been a while since I've been here.

For a while I've been doing a basic lifting program based off of a friends body-building routine. So we're talking different days for different muscle groups, with a heavy focus on isolations and working to failure.

Although I've been happy with the results (both functionally and aesthetically), for the past year I've started co-training in Martial Arts, and have been having a lot of difficulty striking a nice MA/lifting/life balance.

I mostly practice Goju-ryu Karate and I'm enjoying the hell out of class. The only issue is that a big part of practice if Hojo-undo/conditioning. And so the issue arises that I can't lift a few days before class, otherwise I just can't keep up with class; and of course I can't train properly a day or two after karate class (he works us properly!!).
    Anyway I find that I just can't get into a proper weekly routine where I work everything properly.

Now I've changed things up a bit, and I have Jiu Jitsu (German), then the next days is Kickboxing (MT). Both train lighter than the Goju club. For lifiting I've moved way from bodybuilding type of lifting more towards the core compound exercises. And I've been happy with the results. The only issue is that soon I want to move back to Goju-ryu.

So tips tops?
    And please share your experiences, and routines. I'm really curious how other people balance lifting, MA training, and life. :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i would suggest you do more moderate lifting. 70-80% ish tops on the main lifts, one or two per session at most, and wouldn't worry much about accessories as hojo-undo should keep you well-rounded already. you don't need THAT much work to make progress, although more is generally better, and the general work from the hojo-undo should contribute to overall progress (and will become easier as you get stronger, letting you lift with more volume or intensity if you want). also, eating, sleeping, and general relaxation are the holy remedy for accumulated training stress. adding a post training snack with protein and carbs both for the karate and the lifting, going to sleep a bit earlier or taking power naps, and spending more time with friends and loved ones, lounging around, watching movies and other such non-stressful or even stress-reducing activities are all things that should allow you to recover better from training. also note that you CAN train when sore, and you can train multiple days in a row, if your recovery is good enough to handle it and the total workload is not excessive relative to it.

as for myself, it's been a fair while since i did regular MA training that was significantly physically demanding, but when i did, the stronger i got, the less of an issue it became. it gradually stops being a strength stimulus and moves to being an endurance stimulus (possibly with mobility and stability elements depending on what type of exercise is done) and that just requires grit and carbohydrates.

3. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Thanks for the nice response.

I've been passively adjusting my lifting to around the range you are talking about, but I would like to add more lifting to my weekly routine. Because I would like to see more gains in strength. So I'll try lifting a little on my 'sore days', and see what results I get.

One big issue I was having while I was doing to Karate training, was that I was losing what I called 'functional/dynamic' movements, where my movements were getting stiff and limited. But that's changed nicely with the switch to Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing, as well as the addition of stretches.

I guess this means I'm old now :(

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Lifting while sore isn’t a problem, but if you want to get stronger you need to rest, training weights and then doing a hard martial arts session the day after isn’t the best way to go, if possible lift and do your martial arts stuff on the same day, that way you have extra recovery time

5. thinkingbody

thinkingbody Valued Member

In my experience and from what i've been told, if you want to be the best martial artist you can be, then lifting cannot be your priority. How you manage your lifting in association with MA is tricky though.

I work shifts. So before my shifts, if I've had enough sleep I get up at about 3am go to the gym, do some rounds on the bag, and then do a few exercises, usually only 3 or 4 exercises with between 3 and 5 sets. In between sets I sometimes do rounds on the bag depending how I feel.

Sometimes like today, if I've got some time to kill I'll train BJJ in the morning and go to the gym at lunch time. Before a night shift I don't lift weights, I just do some skipping, more rounds on the bag, shadow boxing etc. I train pretty much everyday so I don't try to over do it.

I usually begin with a back exercise like chin ups, then a maybe some legs, chest etc. I never do a full leg day, back day etc. I think that is too debilitating for a martial artist.

I log my reps and weight and sets on the notes function on my iPhone so that I can see my improvements, and so I keep track of what I've been doing. I just create a note for each body part with exercises as subsections. I might see that I haven't done military press for a while, so I'll do that. I mostly do compound exercises, but some isolation.

Sometimes at the end of the work out I might do a few rounds of cardio exercises like sled push, or kettle bell swings, or just hit the bag for a few more rounds. Hitting the bag between exercises tends to fire me up for the next exercise and its a great warm up.

So if you don't waste your legs or chest or whatever all on the same day you will feel better for martial arts training.

6. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

You could try more cardio based lifting if you still want to do it. So do lighter weights if you feel you have not recovered that well. My exercise routine is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, granted i am a beginner to this. I thought even if you do cardio based weight exercise you still gain/keep muscle to show for it. Try to do the Karate on a Monday or Wednesday if they do it, that way you can get two days rest on the weekend. :p

(just to make it clear, i am new to exercising things, so some of the terminology and such is lost to me)