Gracie online training/grading

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Jan 22, 2013.

1. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

The biggest criticism by far has been around Gracie University. Their instructional material is awesome, easily among the best I've seen (and I've seen a lot), but giving out belts based mainly on performing what is essentially a BJJ kata learned from videos is very much not awesome.

I would say that the majority of the BJJ community views Gracie University belts as lacking legitimacy, as they are seen as a belt gained through videos, rather than through demonstrating ability during regular sparring with a range of skilled training partners over several years (which in my view is the only way belts should be earned in BJJ). Topping off video training with a one-off trip does not change that perception.

2. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

I pretty much agree with slideyfoot. IIRC it took me around two years of consistent training three to four days a week which included rolling against resisting opponents every time I trained before I got a blue belt. Some schools progress faster, maybe some slower, but I would say constant refinement of your BJJ game through resistance is key to really becoming proficient with the basics of the art (which- in my opinion- is what a blue belt is).

So I'm not sure I'd consider the grading legit.

However I have heard a lot of good things about the online material, and if you think it might help your ground game, and don't have a school nearby, then there's no reason not to learn it.

Might help tremendously to do Judo if there is a judo dojo nearby. A lot of crossover in the ne waza.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm not sure I'd consider a blue belt from their course as legit compared to one from a club, but at the same time I give very few tosses about lineage and whatnot in bjj. If we were having a general chit chat and you were telling about your belt I'd be skeptical. If you were to join my club and tell us about the belt then I'd reserve my judgement until I'd seen you roll. If you're blue belt level then you're blue belt level. I don't think it matters where you got it. That's one of the things I loved about bjj was the proof was in the results.

4. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I thought they recently changed it so that for all the belts above blue you had to at least test in a live Gracie Acedemy..

My opinion is, live is better. However if you get a partner with experience, this could be great. The instruction on the videos is good and easy to follow.

I think that it could gain some measure of legitimacy I they compete and don't get fried. I don't know how I feel about competition being a belt requirement. That would exclude all those people that don't want to compete. Not everyone wants to go to competitions.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting vid by a Gracie University person. Worth a listen.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5283yANkUE&feature=youtu.be"]Is Gracie University Ruining Jiu-Jitsu? - YouTube[/ame]

LFD

6. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Valued Member

I'd say if you're dedicated enough about the quality of your training to travel halfway around the world to see if it ACTUALLY holds up you're pretty safe learning from just about any medium. Guy seems like an exception rather than a rule but it was an interesting video.