Is shaolin kungfu a good martial art?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by HeHo23, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Like this, just without the staff

[​IMG]

They both had to be about 8 or 9 running around throwing kicks at each other when one saw the big foreigner and ran behind him to hide. When his friend turned to continue the match he saw me and slowly looked up to my eyes then bowed and...ran around me and they started kicking and punching each other again.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

That is not a Shaolin bow. That is a salutation

3. Xue Sheng

I could be wrong but the original Shaolin Bow was one handed, in the above position and then bow, keeping the one hand as pictured above.

4. 47MartialMan

There is some history (perhaps speculated) why it was one-handed......I wonder if you know this ???? ;):thinking:

5. Xue Sheng

It depends whether or not you want to believe that Bodhidharma existed or not. The story goes his first disciple cut off his own arm to prove his dedication. Thus the Shaolin one handed bow was born. I cannot remember the first disciples name however

6. 47MartialMan

That is why I had stated "Perhaps Speculated"

The disciple, allegedly, Dazu Huike

However, Chinese documented history tends to have Bodhidharma existing, but not of training Shaolin Monks a fighting art

7. Xue Sheng

I have not seen any Chinese documented history that said he existed other than in association with Shaolin and that one is highly questionable. The others are some what confusing and equally as unreliable since they seem to have no supporting documentation. Not as confusing and questionable as the dates associated with the alleged existence of Zhang Sanfeng but still confusing and questionable. But then I have not see it all and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  8. 47MartialMan

Some of the (Buddhist, Chan, Martial Art) books I have; mention Wudeng Huiyan, * Hsu Kao-seng Chuan, and *Denkoroku, to name a few*

*(I think these are writings or articles and ARE NOT in my possession)

Like much of Chinese ancient history, per a simple individual, gets shrouded to the point of fable or mythology

That said, there is another bow, one hand covering the other, is supposed to be a salute (of many different explanations/descriptions) and some historians claim it to be hidden hand signal, rather a bow

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  9. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

But it's not about the pictures, but the videos. If you watch the videos there you will see a group people really training Sanda in the same place as in the picture. If you listen to the women who is filming she is also speaking korean. So i don't think this is a lie. I mean all i have to do is arrive korea and then go walk through the adress and place and see if they really train Sanda.

10. Xue Sheng

Not saying it is a lie, just saying be careful