What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

You may end up watching a different movie lol ;)

Baza

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I watched The lego movie. And of course everything is awesome. 8.5/10.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I do that when I watch films with my girlfriend - Read all the subtitles, get it half right and put my own slant on things! ;)

I find it funny....She doesn't so much. :D

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I watched the low budget, independant zombie film The Battery a few nights ago.

Very different sort of zombie film. There's very few zombies, not much action and the focus is really on the two survivors; all zombie films are about the survivors but this took it to another level. It was more of a road movie than anything else but set in a zombie apocalypse.

I doubt many people would enjoy the film but I thought it wasn't bad at all. It was sadly let down by the final act which was way too long and could have been done better. One of the guys behind the film posts on The Battery forum on IMDB, and IIRR it was "done better", but due to the small cast and budget it didn't quite work out they wanted it to.

The film has been highly praised though and I think there could be plans for a sequel. With the experience from The Battery and a slightly larger budget I imagine that it could be pretty decent.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Thirteen Days...and Kevin Costner New England accent is horrendous.....part Northshore....part Australian

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

[mod hat] Xue, you gotta say more than just the movie title. That's the rules for this thread, okay? [/mod hat]

=====

I tried to watch "Muppets Take Manhattan" because somehow, when I was a kid growing up with Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and these movies, I missed seeing Kermit and Miss Piggie get married. I never saw it. I still haven't seen it. I wanted to see it, but it was so boring, I mean soooo boring, that I turned it off. Basically the plot was the same as the original: a group of muppets want to be performing stars. This time instead of going to Hollywood they go to Manhattan with the script of a musical they want to perform on Broadway. It just totally lacked the charm of the first movie, though. :(

I also got me some "I, Frankenstein." It's good. It stars the guy who played Harvey Dent / Two-Face in the recent "Batman" movie. I thought he did an excellent job as in that role. He did it again here in an action role. The plot is much like "Underworld" -- demons are waging an eternal but unseen war against gargoyles, with the fate of humans hanging in the balance. Frankenstein's monster gets caught the middle. He's an enemy of both sides yet he is desired by both sides. The f/x for the gargoyles is perfect, and of course Bill Nighy is awesome as always, but I liked this movie just as much for its escrima. We seldom see escrima in movies. It added a little something that sets this one apart from "Underworld" and such.

7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Thought I did in the last one, sorry for breaking the rules

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Do you mean that it's in English with the subtitles in Ape? :confused:

I like the idea of siiting watching it and turning round to see a family of apes sitting in row behind you, eating popcorn.

9. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Happy Feet, and I ironically found it quite depressing...

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

watched 'dead man down' with colin farrell and noomi rapace. wasn't too bad, had it's moments as an action/crime thriller. wasn't a bad one, not great either.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Welcome to my world.:turtle:

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rambo

Thd 2008 sequel. Simple, violent, never get bored watching it. The action sequences are fantastic, and the special effects - especially with regard to body parts going flying 40 feet - are realistic. Music is perfectly scored to bring real emotion to what might be another C-rate actioner. Plus seeing a nearly 60-year old Sly in that good shape makes me feel not so bad about getting older (makes me want to take up archery too). 9/10.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Me, too -- on both points. :)

The kids and I rented the recent "Lego Movie" from Redbox. It's totally stupid, but in a totally fun way. Uni-kitty is great. :love: ("Marry a marshmallow?" :D ) Batman was funny, and the way real-world things like Krazy Glue and X-acto knives were referenced was funny. We enjoyed the goofiness of everything until ... until the humans. A couple of humans appear at the end of the movie, and we all thought they ruined it. :( The ending needs to be rewritten without any humans.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Somebody said (and it may well have been in this thread) that each Marvel film is better than the last. Guardians is no exception, and it may even be their best production yet. I went into this without a clue as to who any of the characters were, but I left the cinema blown away. As expected, the plot is certainly "out there", but the humour, pacing, and acting far exceed the expectations of a comic book adaptation. CGI, set pieces, action choreography and costumes/make-up were flawless. I can see this being extended beyond a sole outing and into a multi-movie franchise. Guardians beats Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor hands down. Yes, all of them. 9/10.

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Had a bit of MA binge this past few days...

Kuro Obi - bunch of karatekas duke it out over who's the biggest badass in pre-WWII Manchuria. Okay, I'm being glib for the sake of being glib. I enjoyed this one tremendously, the fight scenes were excellent, and the guy who played Taikan - the main sort-of bad guy - didn't so much steal the show as took it by force and dared everyone else to take it back. 9/10

American Samurai - the one where Mark Dacascos plays the bad guy. Sadly, he's the only one who seems to give a damn; David Bradley MIGHT have given a damn but given that he seemed incapable of changing his facial expression it's hard to say. The editing is choppy as heck, you can't hear the dialogues half the time, the less said about the "romantic" subplot the better. 2/10 because I just cannot bring myself to hate Mark Dacascos; everybody needs to eat, right?

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Frozen..

Wasn't as good as everyone says it was. Don't think it was over hyped to me either to be disappointed, it was just fun to watch but not "jumping out of my flat to burst into sudden "Let it Go" singing" kind of reaction.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Expendables 3:

If you liked the first two you'll probably find some enjoyment in this but I don't think it is as good. Mel Gibson plays a good villain, and his acting ability certainly cannot be questioned here, but his character ends up feeling flat due to lack of character building. The editing of the movie feels a bit disjointed too. Of course this film is more about the action and it certainly isn't bad though not nearly as memorable as some of the action sequences from the first two films. The lack of the blood and gore of the first two doesn't do much to raise the bar here either.

Worth a watch if you enjoyed the first two just don't have high expectations.

6/10

Under the Skin:

So bad it's not even worth writing a mini review about it. Avoid.

1/10 (the 1 being for seeing Scarlett Johansson nude, the only highlight of an otherwise abysmal, and completely boring, movie)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Brilliant, loved it. Animated films are fast becoming my favourite genre. I like the cast and meeting new dragons and new places. Brilliant adventure (admittedly with a few small plot holes). 7.5/10 Could watch it twice in a row easy.

Seen the Lego Movie, again, loved it. Bit of dull ending and much more on the "child" end of the viewer demograph. 6/10 EVERYTHING IS AWESOOOME!

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I had the same reaction actually. It just didn't stand up to the hype for me. Some of the songs were cool and there were one or two funny bits, but...eh. Felt pretty underwhelmed by this.

Lego movie was ace but that ending was so weak it was painful. Didn't ruin the movie but I'll be damned if it didn't bring down my happy buzz from the movie.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree. Found it boring TBH. The favourite Disney film in our family is "Tangled". Which didn't seem to go down as well as Frozen or garner the same sort of praise.
    But for our money it's far better. Better songs, better jokes (Rapunzel putting Rider in the cupboard is genuinely funny), better characters (maximus and pascal are winners) looks beautiful, nice story.