BJA or BJC?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Smitfire, Jul 28, 2014.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just looking at some of the new rules and some make sense.
    Most seem to discourage too much grip fighting and are about getting people to grips and throwing with too much delay.
    The one about a bridge landing still counting as ippon makes sense to me too.
    And I think more time for newaza and allowing a sub to continue even if the victim stands is a good addition.

Not being able to attack the legs seems horrible though.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Watch the farce that was the 2008 Olympics to understand why they did away with that rule. Judo is a lot more fun to watch (and to practice) now the leg attacks have been done away with. Sure a few fun techniques (one armed sode and kata guruma) have been done away with, but I think we've gained more than we've lost as a sport.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ah...one of the guys at the club I visited mentioned how much better the Commonwealth judo was compared to the Olympics.

5. holyheadjch

Well...compared to 2008 maybe. The Commonwealth Judo is a bit like non-league football, it's entertaining, but winning it is completely meaningless because you're competing against plumbers and electricians.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahaha. Plumbers can be badasses.

[​IMG]

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

However that syllabus only names 15 of the 67 throws.

8. holyheadjch

Does that mean they only grade on 15 of the throws? It's a grading syllabus - it should include the details of all the throws you need to grade.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Define meaningless? I'm sure the struggle to get selected for their countries team as hard enough.

10. holyheadjch

For some teams the selection process is probably a lot tougher than the tournament.

It's an international Judo competition with pretty much none of the big Judo nations. The UK teams are the only 'big' fish in the tournament and the UK isn't that big in world Judo.

11. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Did someone ask for a plumber?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

check out both, bjc are affiliated to bja so gradings and competition access should be the same / similar. Im at a BJA club, and theres a bjc blackbelt there who is amazing, its all just judo, bjc has a more traditional outlook, whereas bja is more about kids and the olympics, if your neither of those, just train in the one you enjoy the most.