wrists strengthing exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by the artist, Nov 17, 2013.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

hey guys.
    I have quite weak wrists which is not so strong when I punch.
    can you suggest any exercises to strengthen my wrists for punching.

if can direct me to videos so I can watch the exercise It would be awesome

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. luciobrazil007

luciobrazil007 Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZvZGkko1vw"]Convict Conditioning Pushups Tiger Band Pushaps - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  4. the artist

the artist Valued Member

there is no pain, I just thought to be a stronger puncher I need strong wrists

5. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

well a strong wrist would give support to a punch. its all connected. there are plenty of wrist excercises on .... heheh :google:

but Im sure you could develop your own wrist strengthening as well. I find doing twisting punches is good but some weight or body weight exercise would be good.

6. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Do pushups on your knuckles.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pullups on a towel

Get some grippers and clench them whilst doing figure of 8 wrist circles.

plus most kettlebell exercises.

8. ambersports

ambersports Banned Banned

Squeeze Tennis Ball

9. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I don't know if I'd used rotations with tension on the grip personally.

The artist: strong hips make strong punchers. The wrist is a passive facet. That said if you are doing things like bench press , overhead press or anything with a kettlebell then you will develop strong resistance to flexsion and extension in the wrist. If you wanted to increase that you could use a fat bar or far gripz and perform KB work 'bottom up'

Grip strength and wrist strength are very different things, so while everyone should be doing towel pull ups because they are manly and a great exercise I doubt it's going to have a great deal of carry over. That said all martial artists would benefit from stronger grip, and all humans for that matter.

Will strengthening the wrist make a stronger puncher? Not likely but one should have strong wrists anyway.

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Steve!

Welcome back!

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Good to be home brother.

12. Reckoner

Reckoner New Member

It's such an old fashioned technique but pushups on the knuckles is a good one. Really good for stabilising the fist. If you don't want to do them, or need an additional strengthener, try hanging from a bar with two hands, or with one hand if you can manage it. As a more general workout, kettlebell techniques tend to require good forearm/wrist strength and you can tailor some exercises to put slightly more pressure on the wrists to stimulate them more, but be careful. It's the tendons/ligaments/bones of your hand/wrist that need to densify to keep up with the forearm muscles, and given that they have a relatively poor blood supply, they will take time to adjust.

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Gymnastic rings will give you great upper body strength including your wrists.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

This thread is two years old :p

Also, grab heavy things. A lot. Strong grip = Strong wrist.

15. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Two years old and no one has made the obvious *ahem* wrist strengthening joke. Not sure if we should be proud or ashamed.