Would I be stupid to leave my school?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nintyplayer, Aug 1, 2014.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

I used to study Chinese martial arts and am currently studying Taekwondo. My Taekwondo teacher is extremely skilled in multiple martial arts, but I've always been extremely interested in the combat aspects of Tai Chi and have recently found a school near me which teaches Tai Chi from a combat perspective and encourages active sparring and hard drilling moves, as well as competition. I also train 4 times a week currently, and would only be able to train 2-3 times a week at the Tai Chi school.

I know that I would become a great fighter under my current teacher, but I'm extremely interested in the Tai Chi school. I can only afford one. Would it be smarter to stay where I am where I'm guaranteed to get good training or to follow my interests?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What are your goals? Would you rather be a good fighter, or perhaps enjoy exploring and learning about different martial arts, even if it means a cost in overall efficacy?

3. nintyplayer

I haven't got dreams of being the best fighter in the world, but I'd like to be a proficient fighter. The little bit of Tai Chi I've done I've found very interesting. If it comes down to it, I'd rather be a good fighter and well-versed in a style I'm more interested in than a great fighter in general.

I'm just not sure whether it's a smart idea or not. I've never seen a full-contact fight with an exclusively Tai Chi fighter.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Ask the Tai Chi instructor if you can go along and watch the next time he has a fighter competing, then you will be able to get an idea of what the instructors brand of Tai Chi looks like under pressure and whether it is worth switching schools.

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Do Tai Chi.

I may be biased.

But, do Tai Chi :)

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd say have a good look at the Tai Chi school before you make the decision to switch.

Going purely on the brief description, I'd be approaching it with caution, to be perfectly honest. But the only way to properly assess it is to have a good look and find out as much as you can. Then if it seems like what you want to do, then give it a try.

So long as you don't get hooked into a long contract or anything, then you can always go back to your previous class if you do find out in time that the Tai Chi class isn't what you hoped it would be.

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

If you can get 'good training' at the tai chi place then the answer is in front of you, but you would need to satisfy yourself that that is what you will get.
    Maybe if you spar against one of his tai chi students you will get an idea if the training holds up against what you have been getting thus far.
    You should try the place out before you make a final decision anyway and that should answer your questions.

Later on, it's about you as well, and what you make of it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The key part to me is the part I bolded. Particularly the "or" part. How much interest do you actually have in your current style vs Tai Chi Chuan? MA should be fun.

Try out the TCC place first. You really can't make a decision until you take a couple of classes.

Make sure if you stop going to your original school you do it on good terms so you can go back. While I personally have nothing against long term contracts, in your case I would avoid them. Long term contracts should only happen if you know you want to stay in your school/ style for a long time.

Is there any online information about this TCC school? Do you know the lineage of it? Any websites or youtube links?

Also, you can still practice TCC another day or two somewhere besides the school. You have the time since you practice that extra day or two at your current school.

Finally, if it is a quality TCC school that teaches the martial side, that is a good, and sadly sort of rare thing. I think overall it is easier to find quality TKD, but your chances of a quality TCC place are harder to come by. So taking advantage of that should be a factor. No, I don't have any stats to back that up. It is just an impression I get.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I go for this advice. See how they perform, so you got a better stand on things.
    Also go with what's good for you to be fair.

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

What style of Taijiquan are you talking about and do you know the lineage?

Reason I ask, there are more than a few "combat taijiquan" schools that are little or no taijiquan. Example, one I saw that was Beijing 24 form combined with karate. The form was Beijing 24 form but all the applications were Karate.

But in general I go with follow your interests

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So pointless............The 24 is chock full of martial applications. We even learn applications in the opening move. You must really not understand TCC if you have to import another style to "add" the martial in the way you teach.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think for many years there was a tendancy for a lot of people to teach Taiji with a very 'new age' flavour. All flowery hands and no concept of the martial application whatsoever. Too 'yin', if you like.

Now we seem to be seeing a trend towards people claiming to be teaching 'the real martial Taiji'. (I've seen one or two promotional videos posted on MAP in the last few years.) They take the basic postures out of the form and teach some straightforward applications. Maybe a bit of rudimentary push-hands, and package it as 'fighting Taiji' or somesuch. It's looks more like really poor quality Xing Yi than Taiji, as far as I can see.

If you take out the Yang or take out the Yin then you ain't got Taiji. The balance is fundamental. (And so is relaxation. That can never be stressed enough.)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing stuff that isn't Taiji. It's just a pity when people try to sell either made-up stuff or watered down stuff and try to pass it off as Taiji. I've no doubt that in some cases it's done with good intentions, and down to being misguided rather than trying to con people. But I would urge anyone with an interest in Taiji to try to find a teacher with proper lineage. That way you increase your chances of actually learning something worthwhile.

13. nintyplayer

I watched a few matches between students. They seem very good at staying grounded and displacing the opponent's center of gravity. I was able to see some good joint locking. It looks like the school is good! I think I'll start training there, thanks for all of your posts.

14. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I have no experience in either art, however you should surely follow your heart and train what you are genuinely interested in. Only then will you put 100% in?

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would suggest going to your TKD instructor and letting him (or her) know about the situation and see if s/he would mind putting you on a 'leave of absence' (with occasional drop-in privileges) while you try out the TC. You may be able to work out a way to afford both even. Many instructors can be very flexible on this stuff.