Lg Tv problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kframe, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this is the correct forum but I need a nerds help. I have a 32" Lg 32lf503b. Our kids lost the remote and we were going to get a new one this weekend.(had to pay some bills and am a bit strapped.) So we have been using the buttons on the side of the tv.

Well, tonight there is a interesting problem. The thing wont turn off. When I push the power button the tv channel goes up. Other buttons do odd things, such as the settings button raising sound and on and on.

Any ideas what this is, or why? How do I fix it, and b will getting a new remote help?

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I understand new remotes for your brand are quite expensive but you might could find a working used one, or if it were me, make the bairns search every milimetre ( sofa's love to eat telly controllers ) until they find it, lol.

I've heard nothing but horror stories regarding that brand of television. You're fortunate that you have the problem you do, most problems involve them powering themselves off, have defects in the screens or have bad mother boards that are so ludicrously expensive to replace, one might as well get a new telly altogether.

I wouldn't waste any money on a remote for it because it won't be long before you hear a pop, smell burning and see a blank screen - sorry.

You can try resetting the factory settings by doing the disconnect, waiting 1minute whilst holding down the power and volume (I think) simultaneously during this 1 minute disconnect, then repeating the whole process at least once and possibly for up to a total of 4 times ( no, I'm not kiddin' )

But, I really don't think it will help. The tellys are so badly made that some of the plates that comprise the power switch housing come loose on the switch underside which causes the power and the adjacent switch next to it to act up.

But in your case ...:dunno:

The internal contacts of the switches are also said to be very prone to heavy oxidation and becoming gunked-up causing shorts. I've also heard that the cables that run from the switches to their connector pin housings in the AV board or the motherboard are prone to coming loose.

If it happens to be the above, there is a way of removing the back cover to gain access to the right panel where one can spray contact cleaner, check for loose pin connections at the point where the switches tap into the circuit board - sometimes, simply disconnecting the switch cable from its pin connection tap point - whatever that thing is called - and then reinserting it will resolve the problem. Just be sure you and your needle-nose have been properly discharged - any stray static will be enough to fry something on the motherboard.

Which reminds me...its probably not a good idea for you to go poking around the back of your telly with un-insulated tools ( do modern TV's still use those high-capacity electrolytic caps for anything? )

It'll probably turn out to be the Xboard - logic board, for all that.

Sorry, I don't know anything about tellys. Maybe someone on the board here knows something about televisions.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You can get a cheap programmable remote and synch it to your tv.

Your TV will have a remote code which is easily found on the internet.

Punch the code into the new remote and all should be fine.

Use Amazon and you should only have to pay a few pounds.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I had a LG for about five years, never had an issue with it once. Passed it on to my mother when I upgraded to a 60".

I would try factory resetting the TV. If the problem persists after a full reset then it's time to get a new TV.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Cheap parts is the problem. We have an LG in work and it's decided it wants to be turned up to 11 all the time. I use the remote app on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus s5. Works a treat. :)

6. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Some Samsung phones e.g. S4 have an IR TV blaster. Most people have a friend, neigh our or relative with one if you want a quick fix

7. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

If the remote has specific codes for TV brands but LG is not listed, look out for Goldstar (the company that make parts for LG)

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The Consumer Affairs complaints that I'd seen were dated from 2010 - 2013 or so. Could be they cut costs in manuf and labour ( gotta keep those exec's in their jets, ya know ) and things took a dive.

Anyroads, glad you were at least the exception.