Best/quickest way to fix shoulder mobility issues

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mrniubi, Jul 18, 2014.

1. mrniubi

mrniubi New Member

since starting yoga, I've realised that my shoulder mobility is absolutely terrible. I also assume this is probably impacting on things such as overhead position in overhead press movements and gymnastic elements such as handstands.

When I do the position below, my arms are at a 45 degree angle instead of going straight upwards. I have the same issues in seated and standing positions and find when I try to force the arms back a bit that I start to compensate by arching my lower back.

[​IMG]

Anyway, would appreciate any input on good ways to start dealing with these issues. I'm happy enough to do relaxed stretches at home every day and/or isometrics during or after my workouts on gym days.

Thanks.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Limited thoracic spine ("t-spine") range of motion is a common ailment these days, especially among folk who spend their days hunched over a computer desk. The most basic corrective exercise is to grab a foam roller and work the area that runs from the base of your neck to just south of your shoulder blades. You need to focus on full extension by arching your back - let the roller act as a fulcrum. You can also lift your hips off the floor, inhale deeply, then let out a long and controlled breath as your lower them back to the floor, slowly and smoothly. Enhance the exercise further by taking a light dumbbell (2 - 5 lb.) in each hand, extending your arms overhead, and allowing the additional load to gently pull you further.

A variation of this exercise (which targets the soft tissues closer to the spine itself) is to turn on to one side slightly (shoulders turned 45 degrees away from the centreline), round your back by giving yourself a hug, and then roll back and forth. Repeat on the other side, but give more time the area which feels tightest.

More advanced exercises exist, but try these for now.

3. mrniubi

mrniubi New Member

For the arch do you mean on that one isolated area or do you mean to arch the full length of the back? Thanks for the input, big fan of your posts :)

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM"]DeFrancosGym.com - Joe DeFranco's Upper body warm-up routine - YouTube[/ame]

Can't go wrong with this.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

A perfect arm over head position may not be in your cards but a better one might be. Let me explain

So a very informative article was put out on the net about different hip builds and why some people can't squat perfectly ass to grass.

Well Eric cressey has been saying for years (with academic research behind him) that many folks can't perfect overhead movements because of shoulder build.

I'll tell you that t-spine mobilisation is good and that tight lats limit overhead position but the truth is you might not get a perfect overhead position and that's okay, you might not be built for it but you can improve it.

Personally ive found that stretching by doing dumbbell pullovers loosened up my lats a lot.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I have a shoulder that need surgery. I am holding off on it for the simple fact that they are making a lot of advancements in shoulder work... plus tbh, if I can deal with some limits right now, i'll be ok. I have to almost a complete reconstruction of mine though, with a bone graft from my hip and all that. It's a very painful and long recovery which with my son just turning 1 year old isn't possible since I stay home with him during the day and then have to of course help keep the house straight, keep the grass cut etc.

I know some are not all for supplementation, but I take something called flexacil and it REALLY helps me with all of my old man issues. It's the highest rated on amazon, so I thought I'd give it a try and I'm very glad I went for it. Along with some stretching and just never forcing the issue, I'd most definitely consider a good joint supplement. I also take 4-6 grams of fish oil a day which helps with inflammation.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Also keep in mind that the shoulder is perhaps the most complicated joint in the body, so it's not worth messing up/with if it works. My problem happened to be from birth but weightlifting brought it on a little earlier so my issue isn't one you should worry about.

8. mrniubi

mrniubi New Member

Have been doing the t-spine mob work on foam roller, as well as a couple of other t-spine mobility stretches every day since posting this thread and already feel like my overhead positioning is way better. By no means perfect, but for such a short space of time, have definitely made some gains in terms of range of motion.

Gives me hope that continuing on the rehab work like this will help me to get back to some reasonable level of mobility.