North American Kajukenbo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Corrmaz, May 24, 2014.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Thinking about learning Kajukenbo

I think I put this in the wrong style earlier so I put it in this one. There is a Kajukenbo dojo in my area and just was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I can't find any reviews about it. It is headed by Sal Banuelos. It is called North American Kajukenbo in Gilbert, AZ. Just wondering if anyone knew anything. I read about Sal Banuelos on his website here is what I got.

"Professor Banuelos received his Black Belt from Sigung Steve Kantoniemi of the Crazy Dragons. He also trained with Sifu Bob Hernandez. As well as under Sifu Bill Owens who awarded him a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Wun-Hop-Kuen-Do. Professor Banuelos received his 5th Degree under Ahgung Tony Ramos. He received his professorship from GrandMaster Gary Forbach and Grandmaster Ted Sotello in September 2007."

I couldn't find much about his teachers. Just biographies nothing on the quality of their teaching. Anyone know anything about them. I also read this about Sal Banuelos dojo in San Jose. Here's the link, seems like he's pretty respected.
    http://www.kajukenbo.com/cafe/index.php?topic=2250.0. Thanks.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Any feedback is appreciated

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Ask about the ohana (family, it refers to lineage). If they've got anything to do with Paz they should be legit, otherwise maybe/maybe not.

4. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I don't understand what you mean by Paz

5. Grass hopper

Grandmaster Paz, give him a google search. He's a really big name in kajukenbo

6. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I googled Paz. The only information on him was a Facebook page about his school in Idaho. A few other things but nothing about him being a big name in Kajukenbo.

7. Grass hopper

Sorry, I got the name wrong (been a while, I've been out on a knee injury). It's grandmaster Gaylord.

8. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Hey hey! Professor Banuelos seems to check out just fine, with a strong lineage to follow up on. I am from Gaylord's Method in the Chuan Fa branch myself. It's a good combination of hard and soft techniques as opposed to the Original Method's aka Emperado's Method's hard straight forward style. There is a lot more attack redirection, circular movements, and flow in our method. Works just fine for me :D If you choose to go to NAK, I hope you enjoy your time there, as you'll be studying under a quality instructor.