Is shaolin kungfu a good martial art?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by HeHo23, Feb 17, 2014.

1. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Now, i am talking only about Shaolin, not the other kung fu styles.

I am thinking of studying in hong kong in september 2014 and there is a shaoling place there in hong kong.

How is the fighting system, and why is it bad/good for real selfdefence?

http://www.shaolinhongkong.com/#!about This is the school are the styles, good for self defence?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Can you provide a link? "Shaolin kung fu" covers a large range of styles.

Also, the merits of the art will depend more on the teacher than the art itself.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i assume you mean the modern shaolin stuff that the modern blokes from the temple and its "subsidiaries" do, like so:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqMPWE76KOs"]Shi De Yang - Da Hong Quan - 大洪拳 - YouTube[/ame]

if so, it will certainly make you fit as all hell. if they also train san da/san shou, you will likely get a good grounding in sport based full contact fighting involving throws, both of which will be a good base for you to have as regarding self defense.

on a more SD specific note: first, understand that styles don't fight or defend themselves. you do (although hopefully you won't have to). what styles do is present a pre-set training method that if done right is supposed to improve attributes that are of use for fighting, as well as in some cases for other things (health, strength, breathing, etc).
    this is something entirely separate from what each specific teacher does, which may or may not also be helpful for fighting and/or self-defense (two related but different things). is the STYLE good for fighting? if if makes you fit, teaches you some grappling and teaches you how to hit right, then makes you practice those things really hard, then it might be, in conjunction with whatever applicable training your teacher makes you do, and with your own mindset which will determine what you actually do if you fight. is the teacher's class good for fighting? impossible to say without knowing about it
    for self-defense? that is almost entirely dependent on the teacher, because a lot of it is psychological rather than purely physical, and it doesn't consist only in ways to physically restrain or hurt the other guy (which is what happens when self defense fails, as the saying goes), but also of ways to avoid having to do so in the first place, and in ways to keep your head on straight enough to be able to do what's necessary for either solution.

4. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

5. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

It depends on what you mean by Shaolin.

Do you have a link to the place?

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

doesn't look any better or worse than any other "kung fu" school.

if you want to do this style, then go for it. just be wary of costs (fees, uniform, hidden costs) and contracts you can't get out of. but other than that, just train. if you find you might like something else better, than just do that.

7. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

The thing is i want to learn self defence, and not in the mma way.

My question: Does this have full contact fighting or not? And is this good for self defence?

8. Giovanni

what does full contact, "not in the mma way", look like?

did you call the place in question? did you ask them if they do full-contact "not in the mma way"?

9. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Forget about the not in the mma way, i was confused i wrote something stupid. But does the shaolin kung have full-contact?

10. Wooden Hare

Their website lists Shi Yan Yuan as head coach. There are actually two Shaolin instructors by that name, one with the Shaolin USA center (Shi Yan Yuan), and one in HK (Lau Yan Yuan), who is in the videos on your link.

No idea if he'd be the one actually training you, but he's listed as "Coach".

His gwan dao and iron body skills are particularly impressive imo.

They have a contact form, why don't you ask them your questions?

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

12. Wooden Hare

Lau Yan Yuan is more of a cultural kung fu fitness guy with a strong background in traditional Shaolin art.

So, I doubt there is a serious "full contact" training program. So you might be exposed to a lot of material yet get zero practical experiencing applying anything. IT might be a rewarding experience just not what you are looking for.

If I were in Hong Kong and wanted to train something full contact it'd be a good Sanda trainer or Hung Kuen school with an active san da program.

13. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Yeah i am thinking of training Shaolin kungfu and Sanda.

http://hk-sanda.org/home.php Is the Sanda school i am looking at training at.

14. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Okay, let me ask a new question lol, which Kung fu is best selfdefence?

15. Giovanni

define "self defense". what do you mean by that?

16. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

If someone would attack, in whenever place i am at, with hands, or knife/weapons.

To defend my self if i was in a life threatning situation.

17. Wooden Hare

Easy, you hit them with the exploding heart techniques.

18. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

What, i found a kill bill video of that?

19. Giovanni

you shouldn't look at style, per se, you should look at training methodologies. how does the gym in question bridges the gap between gym and reality? is there pressure testing, sparring, scenario training, drilling, etc.? does the gym in question engage in "soft skill" training? are restraining methods taught? things like that. what about weapons? what are they and how are they trained?

have you called the gym in question yet? or are you still waiting on a bunch of blokes from england and the u.s. to tell you about a gym in hong kong?

but regardless, even if you don't learn how to "self defense", there's something to be said for learning to break fall, doing an exercise, practicing concentration, et. al. don't necessarily discount a gym or organization because it's not going to turn you into the most lethal person on the planet. plenty of people do aikido, because it's fun.

20. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

I sent them mail today.