Journey to be Ready for Competition

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Hive, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Just wanting some advise :)

I only started Sanshou in October 2012, with previous MA experience being Wing Tsun (WT). With WT's lack of cardio work and sparring, I found it a massive shock both mentally and physically. I have no issue admitting I am probably the weakest chap at the club, but to be fair some of the regulars there are European or national competition winners.

Anyway, it has always been a dream of mine to enter a competition and I have the "Novice full contact" competitions my target. Having discussed this with my Sifu we've agreed my cardio is far from good enough and am unlikely to be ready for the event in November. If not, there is always next year ;)

This has lead me onto my question I suppose. For those of you who have entered competitions, for how long had you trained to be suitably prepared?

PS - to give an idea of where I am cardio wise from Monday's class:
    round 1 (2min) - I'm fine
    30sec break
    round 2 (2min) - Not bad but already tiring
    30sec break
    round 3 (2min) - very conservative, hardly any energy
    30sec break
    round 4 (2min) - I'm basically standing there trying to defend myself lol

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

The amount of time you'll need to have trained varies dependant on fitness, experience, and the ability to soak up what you are taught.

You would do well to start running and sprint training, also do a lot of skipping. This will help a lot with cardio and footwork.

How long you can last in the ring is mostly down to fitness and cardio, but also down to ring craft and fight experience. With that said the real deal can be a lot more tiring physically so really you should aim to set the bar as high as you can.

3. Hive

Hive Valued Member

When you suggest running, did you mean running specifically or is jogging sufficient? I jog to my Wing Tsun class and back (2.6 miles). Other than that it is just dog walking that I do but that doesn't exactly get the blood pumping.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I would mix up jogging and running.

What some of us do is a nice 4-5 mile jog and finish it off with sprints between every other lamp post for about half a mile. I would recommend a good steady pace that stretches out those legs though.

You can also do sprint training for different lengths/durations, but that's just to give you an idea of what we do (when running in groups we do fireman carries etc as well).

Sprint training and skipping is important to Kickboxing as it helps open up the lungs for quick bursts (like combos) in the ring, as well as strengthen up the legs for getting on your toes more, and build up fitness in general.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

6. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Using lamp posts as sprint point markers. Nice. Thank you both.

7. ned

ned Valued Member

i take my dogs with me when i run-they love it and won't let me skip a day! I run round
    a local disused airfield (about 3 miles ) and break it up with sets of push-ups and
    crunches at regular intervals,you can also vary the pace to increase your heartrate.
    Its good for building stamina necessary for extended sparring.

8. ps13

ps13 New Member

hey Hive, Im new here, and of a similar age to yourself, not training too long either,
    so I will be interested to follow your tread here.

Good luck with your goal.

9. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Cheers. Well the weather has been so damn nice recently I'm jogging roughly 4-5 miles a week and in this sun I'm sweating buckets. Sure I may be enjoying minor improvements but I don't think I will be ready to be competitive enough for November's competition. Not to say I am giving up, just will continue as I am to ensure I enter next year's one.

10. ps13

ps13 New Member

Yeah we have had great weather here too for the last few weeks.

Is there a novice section at this event?

11. Hive

Hive Valued Member

http://www.bccma.com/events.asp?event=1126
    At bottom of that page is a link to a PDF file with rules.

It is a Novice only event. Anyone who's done 3 or more events previously may not enter. Thing is, it is full contact and just because someone may not have entered such a competition before, doesn't necessarily mean they're of a novice standard.

12. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Well apparently I have gone from 'highly unlikely to be ready' to 50/50. My hope is to enter the Under 70kg category. I am currently under 74.

Am totally buzzing over this, win or lose I hopefully get to fight more than 1 guy. The cutting of weight will probably be a bigger achievement than competing as I was 84kg when I first started Sanshou :D

13. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Browning myself over training tomorrow! Full contact competition training. I need to hold my own to earn the green light to compete in November's tournament.

PS - Weight is down to 71 kg :)

14. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Am buzzing :D
    Have been given the green light to compete in November today. Hoping I don't get drawn to face a club-mate who is entering the same weight category though, as I'd expect him to win it to be honest! Would kind of suck to get eliminated by someone I fight most weeks already.

Weight down to 70kg so just need to work on cardio...

15. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Just got a text message that too many referees are having to go to the world championship in Malaysia so my competition just got cancelled. Can't convey how disappointed I am right now without breaking forum rules.

Let a solid full day of sulking commence :(

16. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Really sorry to hear that mate. I know how you must feel. I am entering my first ever TKD tournament in November as well. Genuinely gutted for you mate.

Baza

17. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Thank you, I've been moping around feeling sorry for myself all day! Best of luck to you at your event :)

18. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Quick bump.

The Novice Sanshou competition is now dated for 13th April. Anyone else here attending? :)

19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Where is it??

20. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Shenley Leisure centre
    Milton Keynes
    MK5 6HF