Fake Weapons for training

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aaradia, Aug 30, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hi all, so this is what we just started using as fake daggers. Kinda funky looking, but they worked great in class. Sorry the image is so big. I can't figure out how to make it smaller. I think this image is as big or bigger than the actual product!

[​IMG]

Here is the description from their website. http://www.centurymartialarts.com/self-defense/century-actionflex-shoto-knife-red

Has anyone used these before? What did you think of them? What other sorts of things do people use for training weapons and how well or poorly did they work for you?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We use the rubber SF Leatherneck from Cold Steel in Krav:

[​IMG]

We use blue rubber guns for fast-paced retention drills:

[​IMG]

...and metal/plastic airsoft guns for shooting drills:

[​IMG]

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Rubber or padded weapons are excellent, as long as the person using them eventually does so with intent.

Slowly does it to start with, then when you have sufficient skill the aggressor has to make it look like they mean it.

I'm a big fan.

I use padded sticks and Nok knives.

http://noktrainingknives.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=6794716

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

5. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I have a pair of wooden knives, would anyone say they are good for light sparring? I have only used them for drills.

6. Simon

Just be careful with eye jabs. wooden knives are generally rather pointy and unforgiving.

You'll see Ned at 0.13 and 3.30 in this video wearing safety goggles, which is a cheap, but decent bit of PPE.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM4C5nnbadY"]Eskrima Seminar Part II - YouTube[/ame]

Edit. Also watch from 0.25 because it's funny.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Wooden, metal, plastic...we wear goggles all the same. And often with drills if the knife is going anywhere remotely near the face.

They're cheap enough and even if you have to shell out some cash for them....Eyes. Just not worth losing one.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Rattan for most work, padded sticks for heavy sparring and aluminium for knife work. I have a few wood and polypropolene trainers, but metal is the preferred because of weight and feel. I am not a huge fan of the padded training knife because it feels "wrong"

Eye protection is mandatory in sparring and drilling to mitigate the extra risk

9. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

My Escrima instructor makes us wear goggles, I am going to buy one so that I can practice at home or have a spare for the class.

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Sharkee knives for a basic in class training knife, this is what we spar with as well.
    [​IMG]
    We use a variety of aluminum trainers as well, but I don't have any fixed supplier for those.

These Emerson/Kershaw trainers came out in the last year and make a great affordable training knife if you carry a waved knife.
    [​IMG]

And then for longer blades I make my own out of HDPE.

[​IMG]training blades sample by Lamont, on Flickr

[​IMG]training ginuntings shr by Lamont, on Flickr

11. aaradia

For those that use rubber knives, do you have sparring matches where you go at each other with full power? I am curious.

We are going all out and that is why I think Sifu wanted the padded item. I think he thought they were safer than other options. Especially for head shots. We are wearing cage face masks, but a rubber item could get through the grid. It may also be that we are just beginning to really train using a "knife" like this.

Yes, hannibal, it did feel wrong at first. But I just visualized it being shaped the right way and picture a blade on it. And then the shape issue just faded away for me. I knew when I was hit and thought" that's it- I got stabbed in the gut."

I liked that they were completely safe to go all out on your opponent with full power at any target and not worry it could still hurt them. it seems like a rubber dagger could still cause some damage. Can it? I haven't used them like this. I may very well be wrong. Do you have to take any extra precautions using rubber knives?

I am not knocking rubber. I really am just curious. I have very little experience with this style of sparring, so I wanted to ask those with more experience. I LOVE that my school is expanding into this sort of thing! So do all the other students in Saturday sparring class!

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It again comes down to "all training is compromise; how much is the only thing that changes"

PFS used those paddes knives to spar with and probably still do. I dont because I want to feel a hit as it really brings the reality home - same with shock knives.

The trade off is increased risk of injury of course

13. aaradia

What is PFS?

14. Simon

Progressive Fighting System, by Paul Vunak, who was Hannibal's previous coach.

http://fighting.net/

15. blindside

blindside Valued Member

We use hard plastic Sharkee knives not rubber for our sparring. We use fencing masks so there is no danger of going through the mask and it has integral protection down the throat. We get bruises but not really so many to worry about.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  17. Ben Gash CLF

Super sweet. Do you bandsaw the shape? What thickness is the plastic?

18. blindside

blindside Valued Member

If you don't mind me linking out to another forum, I did an instructional on how to make these:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117776

But the short answer is yes, I used a bandsaw, the plastic is 1/2 inch HDPE and I used a 1/8 radius routing bit to round the edges.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  19. Ben Gash CLF

How are you cutting out the D guard?

20. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I drilled out two holes using a 1 inch hole bit and then cut out the interior using a jigsaw.