Cormier vs Gustaffson

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There was no thread for this I think.

Who watched it? What did you guys think?

No need for spoiler tags .. so sayeth the 'Shroom!

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think I am very disappointed we won't get Gustaffson-Jones 2. :(

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Cormier beat him easy ..

The knee strike was Gust best shot..

It might be me but I thought Gustaffson hurt his right hand in round 4 ....he didnt throw many rights after that round ...

Good fight though....and the under card was excellent too
    Smurf

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's the thing though..that knee strike (and the couple of hooks/uppercuts after that) was the best shot of the whole fight. The closest either man came to finishing the other guy.
    That said I thought DC won. A hard fight for both men but he edged it I think.
    I think he won more rounds and he even passed my own "who would I rather be at the end?" criteria. :)

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I know its strange to say as he is the current champ with two wins but Im underwhelmed by DC at LHW

Cormier to me should either fight at HW or drop another weight category, if possible, he seems unable to impose his wrestling game plan on the taller more athletic LHWs, and unable to dominate them in the standup like he did at heavy weight.

6. Mushroom

Gust diving into the clinch and just stopping whilst eating uppercuts were strange. As well as his corner telling him to go the takedown (against an Oly) I personally thought that was ill advised. Gus managed to get DC down twice due to leverage but DC got straight back up. So it meant nothing but energy excertion for Gus.

Gust was best at range, the sharp jabs, crosses and the calf kicks worked best for him. He was also the closest to finishing the fight by wobblying DC hard.

That first round dump by DC was a thing of beauty.

Viral Video Hero Sage Northcutt lived up to his hype, against someone who (trying not to be nasty) looked wholly overwhelmed and disadvantage of height/reach/fitness.

At the moment, I like the list of UFC Champs. Apart from Rhonda and Demitrious Johnson, every Champion seems very vunerable to everyone else. Meaning the fights are closer, hence gaining more of an emotional reaction.
    Jones/GSP etc were starting to get stale as it were nearly foregone conclusions that they would win. With GSP leaving just at the right time.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep staying at range using the jab and rear hand uppercut was working, why clinch when you know how good DCs clinch boxing is? with that kind of reach stay on the outside and bust him up

If rumble can get his head striaght and not break under the pressure i think he could beat DC, that guys power is just unreal

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

rashard v bader was a surprise for me!

9. Mushroom

Considering how long a lay off Rashad has had and Bader being active. It was a worry.
    I am NOT a Bader fan, at all. But, he looked good, his striking has finally started to come to form and he's not winging it like he was before. He is trying to weasel himself into a title shot right now.
    That's including the antics at the Rumble/Cormier post fight conference.

Not sure what would be next for Gustafferson though.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think that takedown in the first really got to Gustaffson psychologically. He seemed nervy and non committal. He'd even enter well with punches and then seem to panic and rush back out allowing DC to come back at him. Certainly not a vintage Gustaffson performance.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You think they'll put him straight in against DC?

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Whenever he comes back, I think he will go straight for a title shot- DC or whomever is champ at the time.

13. Mushroom

Traditionally, Jones will get a straight title shot, as he was stripped/suspended of the title and never actually lost it. Which can be unfair in some cases, as there is something called ring rust and then going straight for a 5 round title fight.
    (Valesqueze/Werdum as an example)
    However I'm sure if JJ does end up losing then it'll be an immediate rematch anyway. As the usual "Jones was off too long, DC has been active" argument will come in.