Bad Ninjutsu Videos and Critiques w/o Off Topic Videos

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fu_Bag, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

May the Sauce be with you.

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4JoNNTaXs"]360 Bujinkan Longsword Variations Kenjutsu - YouTube[/ame]

This guy came up in the Good ninjutsu video thread. Unfortunately, he sucks. He demonstrates here that he is as clueless about weapons as he is taijutsu. Teaching things like this is irresponsible. Anything but wooden weapons done at slow speed would've connected. That is not how you absorb a sword strike, nor how you would be able to realistically redirect one. He doesn't know what he's teaching or the danger so best to avoid like the plague. The looking around the room instead of paying proper attention to his opponent is one of the banes of the Bujinkan.

3. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Damn, that's bad and full of ego too

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Bujinkan blue-belts?

That swordwork and movement would suggest he has had no training in the swordwork from the Bujinkan ryu-ha.

Other than videos, possibly.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Most of these issues could be solved with a half decent teki and some solid kata-geiko.

6. garth

garth Valued Member

Its the lacksidasical use of weapons that I can't stand "Oh look at me i'm so good I can wedge it in here and let go of the sword, thats how good I am"

7. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

8. Please reality

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPP7QHq4UA"]Weekly debrief October 19-23 ninjutsu and Arnis - YouTube[/ame]

First off he calls himself Sensei ____. His pronunciation and terminology are as bad as his taijutsu, and his half beats are about a beat too slow. Better not to talk about posture and other things when your footwork makes your posture bad. Other than that, the first "kata" he demonstrated wasn't a kata. It was a locking flow progression that didn't make sense. A lot of his moves took too many steps before they worked, and no amont of Tasmanian deviling will help that.

And what the heck is a Bujin can? Does it keep beer cold?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I don't know if this video has been posted before on this thread. I'm no knife expert or ninjutsu practitoner but this looks like a sure way to end up stabbed or dead. And there isn't much here that would pass as realistic.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SR3aH5xB5Q"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SR3aH5xB5Q[/ame]

10. Please reality

Well, he does have a point! :D

11. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Anyone looking at my post history knows I'm hardly a cheerleader for the takamatsu-den but even so, I feel like it kind of does a disservice to those who train in them seriously to lump in videos of recently made up styles just because they label themselves ninjutsu. The knife video two posts above being the example I'm referring to.

It's a hundred and forty page thread at this point and maybe this has been brought up before so forgive me if I'm rehashing and old and settled issue, but honestly I think that the good and bad video threads help demonstrate, for people who aren't aware, the quality difference between practitioners in an organization that is renown for its lack of quality control.

The made up stuff just muddies the waters.

12. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

There is a judoka crying somewhere after watching that osoto gari.

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That video was an unmitigated omnishambles.

14. Please reality

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-fUjy1vFVQ"]Rob Renner Breaks Down Hatsumi Sensei's Theme of the Year "Skipping Stone" for Bujinkan Ninjutsu - YouTube[/ame]

Is it me or do their videos get worse and worse over time? Let me push the guy off balance with the back of my hand, because fingertip power is all I need to destroy the Kool Aid man. Learn proper taijutsu, not zero points because there is zero point to learning it. I'll skip it, thanks! :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  15. garth

garth Valued Member

I actually don't get the reason why anyone would need to put these videos up. Sure so the theme is skipping stones, but really how many have even mastered the kihon?

If this is what Hatsumi Sensei is teaching this year then fine but surely its something for the higher grades, and certainly higher than 99.9% of the people that watch youtube.

16. pearsquasher

pearsquasher Valued Member

Because maybe he's intellectually interested in these concepts and wants to share his opinion? Hey I'm in the I'll-just-practice-my-kihon-thanks camp but having met the guy a couple of times and gotten pleasant and useful help from him in Seno Sensei's class recently, I don't see any harm in him giving some insight into a theme that hes been exposed to in the last year.

Youtube has plenty of scope to have videos for the .1% who you think would get them. That's the nature of the "niche-ness" of it.

I don't think this is a bad video and alongside the uber basic stuff out there by Westerners such as Duncan and Holger, its no harm to get this perspective too. Without knowing for sure, I will assume the guy could talk basics too.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Please Reality...aren't you in Japan? Why don't you ask this Renner chap yourself?

18. TomD

TomD Valued Member

Watching that last vid without sound was actually quite funny. First I thought it was bad Scandinavian advertising for sporting gear :)

19. Please reality

There'd be zero point in asking.

20. TomD

TomD Valued Member

A lot of people in the BJK could do with less talking and more training, that is what this video appears to show...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.