Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 & Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - Evening shift/ Rest days. Meant to do stance training on one of these days, but work was just too crazy busy and I just rested on my breaks.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Focus on Siu Moi Fa. Then we did that circuit thing again. Added another round this week, so that is 4 rounds. I was happy with my stamina, not so happy with my slow motion kicks.

8:00 - Brown sash 1st degree, Green sash, and Yellow sash techniques. Yellow is the new level I am reviewing/ relearning. Last one too!

8:30- TCC private lesson. My new instructor is now looking at one of my fan forms.

9:00 - school closes

2. aaradia

Friday, October 2, 2015 -

6:30 - Weapons class. Started cane techniques, then reviewed all dagger and stick techniques.

7:00 - No Advanced TCC class. Instructor had to take care of school business. He told us ahead of time some classes would not happen due to this. This isn't an official class perse. It is something extra he is doing for us.

So, Practice. Did all weapon techniques except the two cane techniques we covered in detail in class. Some of this I did solo and some I did with a fellow student, Ms. O. Ms. O and I also practiced the Gung Ji form and wall bag.

Solo, I also did solo golden leopard vs tiger. About 15 minutes of white sash kicking practice and a bit of TCC Fajing form.

Spent a bit of time discussing various training things with Ms. O. Also a bit of time talking to the instructor that made a wooden dummy. One thread on here had gotten me thinking about his accomplishment, so I was asking him about the process. It was very interesting.

9:30 - school still had instructors doing chores and business stuff, but I left. My goal is to get to the school at 9:30 tomorrow and have a long workout, so I wanted to not overdue it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. aaradia

Saturday, October 3, 2015 -

Did not get to school as early as I planned.:(

10:38 - Stretching and warm up

11:00 - sparring class. Still focusing on Clinch work. We did some block defenses too. Tai Sifu matched up one of the new teens joining sparring class for the second time with me. I felt honored that he trusted me with a new student. He has done this a lot in Push hands for TCC, but this is the first time he has done this in CLF sparring class.

12:00 - Moving step practice with Ms. R.

12:30 - TCC weapon forms. Got through all of them except right side of 32 Gim.

Also did CLF Bodhidharma Gim set.

2:00 - Brown Sash 3rd Degree Techniques. Sup Ji Jit Fu and small five animal. Focused on the new bit I learned on small 5 animal a lot.. Just a couple of minutes of bag work. Was not doing rounds (didn't have time to) but focusing on things like proper pivot in punches and not dropping my guard when punching. Oh, also pulling my punches back faster.

3;08 - School closes. Oh I might add that the awful heat spell was finally NOT so bad today. Yay!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Sounds like a session at my old boxing gym :)

5. aaradia

Sunday, October 4, 2015 - Right knee really bugging me, so I took the day off- rest day. Very frustrating as I may not get a chance to do my TCC solo hand forms practice next weekend either. Although that will be for a good reason. I am trying to smart and listen to my body.............

Monday, October 5, 2015 -

6:30 - Stick fighting class. Regular instructor back teaching it. He had other instructors filling in for the last couple of weeks. This just so happens to be my TCC instructor. Anyways, we went back to mixing up stick fighting with not just our sport stick fighting rules, but practicing utilizing it in a more realistic fashion with the ability to do punches kicks etc. Was drills and light sparring, because we had a new student in the class and because this mixing it up is relatively new to even the more experienced stick fighters.

7:00 - Private CLF lesson. Reviewed recently learned ending of Small Five Animal. Which means that round of hand form reviews is done. Now on to weapon form reviews. Started with the Hung Sing Stick Form. I love this form, and all things associated with stick weapons. It is a great form. Unfortunately, there are no youtube's on it that show the whole form that I feel do it justice. But there is this short clip with a couple of moves.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucE5prDe100"]Choy Li Fut Hung Sing Flute. - YouTube[/ame]

That "whoosh" sound is the one that it took me so many years to start getting consistently in most moves. I wrote about how the TCC Flute form actually helped my CLF stick form on earlier posts on this thread. The whoosh sound is one way to tell if you are doing the move properly.

7:30 - Practice. Mostly CLF. Formal Exercise. Yellow, Green, and Blue techniques. Hung Sing Stick form. TCC fajing form and a bit of the Flute form.

Took about 5-10 minutes to chat with a fellow student. Also took a couple of minutes to buy my spot for the seminars this weekend!:happy: I'll discuss that when this weekend comes around and I actually do the seminars. But I am super excited for this weekend! Grandmaster Doc-Fai Wong is down for his annual seminars. Plus, we have our yearly banquet. AND every other year we have an exhibition. This is the year. Plus, it is the 30 year anniversary of my school. It should be a super fun weekend!

9:30 - School closed up.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. aaradia

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 - Evening shift/ Rest day except for stance training. Yes, getting back to it after taking a few weeks off to heal up. I didn't lose too much time on my stances overall - a bit- some not as much as I feared I would. Was happy about that. I think I will bounce back to my previous times on the ones that lost time quickly. Except for the crane, as I am still having some issues with that stance and my back.

Horse - 1 Minute and 30 seconds
    Slanted Horse - 1 minute and 5 seconds
    Bow - 1 Minute and 30 seconds
    Cat - 1 minute
    Crane - 30 seconds
    Kneeling Horse - 20 seconds
    Horse- 2nd round- 45 seconds
    Cat - 2nd round - 30 seconds

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 - Evening shift/ rest day

Thursday, October 8, 2015 - 6:30 - Last half of TCC Class. When doing push hands, I was playing with a much higher stance than I usually do. My instructor wants me to do this so that I have more mobility in shuffling and moving my body. It feels weird, but I didn't lose my root the way I thought I would when getting used to this.

7:00 - No Tai Sifu CLF class. Grandmaster Doc-Fai Wong is in town for our seminars this weekend:happy: and Tai Sifu is with him this evening. So, practice. CLF purple sash Techniques.

7:35ish - TCC private lesson. Finished review of fan form. Sigh* my empty full needs improvement- a correction I often get. Need to work on timing of a couple moves and I use my arm without enough body on some moves- particularly moves where I open or close the fan.

8:05ish. Back to practice. CLF Brown 1st degree and Brown 3rd degree techniques. Solo practice of golden leopard vs tiger. Bit of practicing the things I learned in my TCC private lesson.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. aaradia

Friday, October 9, 2015 - Well, I am a dufus. I was at work today and a substitute comes in. I ask who she is in for- it turns out me!:eek: See, as I mentioned before, this is our seminar/ exhibition/ banquet weekend. The banquet is usually on Friday, but is on Sunday this year.

I asked to leave work early so that I had time to get ready for the banquet, but this was months ago. Then forgot all about that when the banquet date was moved.

So, unexpectedly, I left work early and got in some extra training.:p

3:53 - Stretching and warm up. Yikes! GM Wong and Tai Sigung Fisher are in the school for advanced testing, but only for a little bit as they are finishing up the last test when I get there.

4:30ish - Practice. Solo Golden Leopard vs Tiger. White Sash Techniques. Solo practice of two person staff form.

6:30 - Weapons Class. Cane techniques.

7:00 - was supposed to be advanced TCC class- but no one else showed up! Serious Bummer!:cry: I think the other students thought class was cancelled due to GM Seminar weekend. I dunno. The instructor cancelled the class, but consoled me with a few minutes of push hands practice with him. He is teaching me techniques and approaches to moves that I hadn't thought about. New stuff to develop and work on, which is just what I needed to push past this stagnant phase in my push hands development.

Then back to solo practice. CLF Yellow Sash techniques and then finished all other weapon techniques. Last cane one we hadn't learned in weapons class yet. Dagger, Double Dagger and stick.

Managed to get through all my known techniques this week, which is great! I wasn't expecting to as I don't have tomorrow to practice them. (Because of the seminars. The schools are all closed for the seminars.)

Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, and Small Five Animal.

Practiced more Push hands with a new TCC student. He is not a new CLF student, but new to TCC.

About a half hour of Fajing Form practice.

Somewhere during this, my Left knee really started up with this knee issue. Not my normal knee issues. Sheesh, like I need MORE knee problems? It is a bit concerning. It is affecting my practice some. Not sure what is going on. I rested and went easier and it seemed all better, but is coming back. It just spasms in certain positions. Intense but not sharp, like a severe cramp/ spasm feeling- really weird. Technically. it is just above my knee more than my actual knee. No bruising or swelling. I may have to go see a Dr. and see what is up.

Again, affected my ability to practice kicks- VERY frustrating!

9:27 - went home. I really do need to try to go to bed earlier tonight to be fresh for the fun weekend ahead!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  8. aaradia

Saturday, October 10, 2015 -

:banana::hat::hail:Grandmaster Seminar Today!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are 3 two day seminars being offered this weekend (CLF Small Bot Gwa Fist, CLF Cane Form, and 5 Animal Chi Kung) and two 1 day seminars (Kung Fu for kids and Tai Chi Secrets). I am taking the 5 Animal Chi Kung and the Tai chi Secrets.

I opted for these for several reasons.
    1-I really don't want to learn any new CLF forms right now as I am focused on my next test (Black Sash). I have tons of curriculum material that needs work and so I really wouldn't have time to practice an extra CLF form. I would have been interested in the cane form, but the time is just not right. The Small bot Gwa Fist form is too jumpy for my bad knees.

2- The TCC seminars are often (not always) forms geared towards CLF students getting into TCC IMO - often not the more advanced forms. This TCC secrets, as my Sifu explained, comes from our GM thinking there are enough advanced TCC students to have a seminar going into more detail on things to benefit advanced students. So, I am super excited for this.

Now mind you, I don't mind working on beginning forms or classes. I do so all the time. But if I am going to lay down a hunk of cash on extra stuff on top of my school fee's, I am a bit more picky. I cannot afford or mentally absorb all choices these weekend's, so I choose which seminar(s) I do carefully.

3. Chi Kung is not a big focus at my school. In, 11 years of going, Granmaster has never taught Chi Kung at the seminars before,. so this is a rare opportunity to learn some Chi Kung!

I was still on the fence about taking the Chi Kung, but it was AWESOME! I am so glad I did decide to take this!

Tomorrow is day two of the Chi Kung and the TCC secrets is tomorrow as well. Looking forward to it!

In addition to the seminars, our school offers a month (1 class a week for 4 weeks) of follow up classes AND most importantly to me- a script! I hope the follow up classes are not on a night I work a night shift. But my TCC instructor took the seminar, so he can help me too.

Tonight is our exhibition. Top level instructors, Sifu's, Tai Sigung, and GM all perform. This is only every other year. Going to be super fun and inspiring!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  9. aaradia

Sunday, October 11, 2005 -

9:30 - 11:00. GM Seminar- Tai Chi Secrets. No real secrets- just lots of details. It was great! Couple of changes from what I have been taught. I am sure Tai Sifu and other instructors will start making those changes in classes and lessons.

11:00 - 12:30 (same time as yesterday, which I forgot to write.) 5 Animal Chi Kung - day 2. It was great! I am so glad I decided to take this seminar! And I have the script! Very important to me with my poor memory.

Tonight is the banquet. Which is fun, but also sort of stressful for me. I get anxious in crowds - not my favorite thing.

Attached are a couple of pictures from the seminars. Several of my classmates that I have referenced here frequently are in the front row. (And I am in one of them.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  10. ned

ned Valued Member

The second pic looks like a stance from the deer qi gong I learnt.

That's an impressive turnout ! Sounds like the weekend lived up to your expectations :) .

11. aaradia

Yes, it is one of the Deer movements in the Chi Kung Seminar I took! 5 Animal Chi Kung. Not all the same 5 animals as in CLF. They are Tiger, Deer, Bear, Monkey, and birds.

12. aaradia

Monday, October 12, 2015 -

6:30- Stick Fighting Class

7:00 - CLF private lesson. Working on the Stick Form. I thought my stick form was ok, but my instructor found lots of things to correct. And I am not breathing properly, I hold my breath sometimes. I have to fix this. I won't last through the Black Sash test if I do this.

And my empty hand isn't far back enough during certain moves. Most concerning is that my instructor tells me where it is, and I believe her, but I THINK it is further back than it actually is. That tells me I don't have enough body awareness and the right feel for things.

I need to work on combining the moves and still getting the right energy (the whoosh sound for one thing). If I do each move alone, I do good, but I lose some of the right energy combining the moves.

And keeping my grip and wrist loose until the right time to tighten it . Actually I got that correction in stick fighting class as well.

Oh, and the Sifu from the Mira Mesa location watched part of my lesson. The Sifu's do this rotation sometimes. Where the Sifu's all go to another location and observe things at the other location. They observe lessons and give feedback to the instructor. Classes are observed, and I think they do and check other things I don't know about. Then they teach the instructor class that night- well usually. (For example- not tonight. Instructors had the evening off because so many spend all weekend at all the events.) So the instructors get feedback/lessons from other Sifu's.

It is a quality control thing. To get the Sifu's to observe other locations and give input. I like that they do this, and Sifu gave me and my instructor a good tip on something we were working on. Although it is a bit weird to be observed too.

I think the lesson ran longer. And I forgot to check my timer, so my times may be a bit off.

7:35ish? - Form 1 of formal exercise and beginning of form 2.

7:53 - Got a bit lazy. Ended up chatting with a couple of fellow students about the awesome seminar/ exhibition/ Banquet weekend and then just got into a conversation about all sorts of stuff. Yeah, I talked too long, but it was fun.

8:40 - Yellow and Green sash techniques. All of Formal Exercise. Used the window as a mirror to try and look at my body positions and where they were vs where I thought they were. Working on fixing that disconnect my instructor and I were talking about during my lesson.

School officially closes at 9:00. So I made up for most of my time chatting when I was able to stay until 9:30- when everything was actually closed up.

I need to balance the fact that it is ok to have fun talking with fellow students, with not overdoing it when I need to work on my next test. Keeping this log helps me assess that.

Oh, and ned mentioned the seminar having an impressive turnout. So I thought I would post an image that gives a view of all the participants. I looked at the pictures of the CLF seminars, I think they had a significantly larger turnout. Remember, far more CLF than TCC students at my school. Although some of the CLF students did take the Chi Kung Seminar. I would say far more TCC students took it, but I saw a few CLF sashes in there.. And it is hard to say because some (like me) do both full on. Also, some CLF students do the group classes for TCC, but aren't full fledged TCC students that have private lessons and follow the curriculum and test.

So, just for comparison, below the first picture is a picture of the Cane seminar.

We usually get a few travelers from other Plumblossom Federation Schools. This year, Sifu Niklas from Australia brought 11 others from his school. We have had Sifu's and Chief Instructors from England in years past. The Tai Sifu's from the Italy schools have been here before too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. aaradia

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - Evening Shift/ rest day. Except for Stance Training throughout day.

1. Horse - 1 minute & 30 seconds
    2. Cross Step - 1 minute
    3. Slanted Horse - 1 minute & 15 seconds
    4. Cat - 1 Minute & 15 seconds
    5. Bow - 1 minute & 30 seconds
    6. Horse - 2nd round - 1 minute & 10 seconds
    7. Slanted Horse - 2nd round - 1 minute
    8. Kneeling Horse - 20 seconds
    9. Crane - 35 seconds
    10. Cat - 2nd round - 50 seconds

Also, when I got home, I ran through the 5 Animal Chi Kung set I learned at the seminar. I am very happy with how easily I have memorized it. I am sure some details need work, but I have the basic memorization down.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  14. aaradia

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - Evening shift/ rest day

Thursday, October 15, 2015 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. Went over 24 form, with details of new corrections we learned from GM Wong during the TCC seminar. Also did some pattern.

7:00 - CLF Tai Sifu class. Siu Moi Fa. then 2 rounds of the circuit thing we have been doing. Then we did a couple of rounds of a new circuit. This one was 5 stations. 1. Staff form 2. Stick form 3. Siu Moi Fa 4. Kicking 5. Formal Exercise

8:00- Started Blue sash Techniques, then my TCC instructor asked if we could do our lesson earlier, so.............

8:10 - TCC Private Lesson. Again, going over 24 as the basis for going over the new things learned from GM Wong in the seminar. I think this will be going on in all TCC classes and many lessons for a bit while we integrate the corrections.

8:40 - went back to CLF Blue Sash Techniques.

9:00 - TCC Fajing Form.

9:20 or 9:30ish? - school closed up. Didn't catch when exactly.

My Thursday Two person partner was better, but went on vacation. As he got back from vacation, he is hurt. I am not sure if it is the same injury not being as healed as he had hoped, or a new thing. I am worried about him. he has been out a few months now.

15. aaradia

Friday, October 16, 2015 -

6:30 - Weapons Class- Cane and double dagger techniques.

7:00 - Advanced TCC class! Yay! The theme after GM seminars continue here. Working on the corrections from GM.

8:00ish - Solo practice. Cane, Dagger, Double Dagger, and Stick techniques. about 12 minutes of White Sash Kicks.

16. aaradia

Saturday, October 17, 2015 -

9:30 - Two person practice with Mr. R. :happy: Two person staff and Golden Leopard vs tiger. Great practice session.

But when he had set it up with me, he had said something like "10:00 is TCC class, so 9:30?" So, I didn't eat breakfast thinking he was going to TCC class at 10 and I could go grab something. But he had thought I was going to TCC class. I was happy to have such a long two person practice session, but I had only a quick nutrition bar in the middle of it. Next time, I will eat breakfast before going, not matter what I think will be happening.

11:00 - Sparring class- still lots of clinch work. We did some drills in how to move in close when being barraged with punches. do clinch work, then how to get out again.

12:00 - Unfortunately, I HAD to cancel doing moving step because I was feeling light headed from 2 1/2 hours of working out on only a nutrition bar.
    Tried a Mexican food place very close by that Sifu and Ms. R highly recommended. It was good.

1:00 - a bit of working out, but not much. Some TCC weapons practice. But I just didn't feel good. I fizzled out and ended up chatting by 1:30ish? Hung out and talked at the school, but no more working out. Not sure if the workout on an empty stomach, followed by heavy Mexican food and maybe some dehydration was the issue. Or if I was fighting off a bit of a bug.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 - Still not feeling well, so I took the day off. NOT happy about it.

17. aaradia

Monday, October 19, 2015 - Feeling better. If I was fighting a bug, I seem to have done so successfully.

6:30 - Stick fighting class. I didn't have good timing or control during the going against a person with a stick while unarmed part of the class. The rest of the class I did ok.

7:00 - CLF Private lesson. Stick form. I really thought my stick form was better than it is right now. It is all about extension of the non- stick holding hand during certain moves and that I seem to keep holding my breath! Just dumb mistakes I shouldn't be making at my level.

7:30 - Bit of chatting (15- 20 minutes?). More stick form practice. Forms 1 & 2 of formal exercise. CLF Yellow, Green, and Blue sash techniques. Feel like I did something else I can't remember right now..................maybe not.

I had an instructor approach me. He said the school winter sale this year was having a student exhibition. He asked if I would to a TCC weapon form. I asked my instructor which one I should do and he said the Flute form. So, this is what I will be doing. I have never done a student exhibition before.

9:42 school all closed up.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - Jury duty! And only a half day at that. I had the choice of going into work the other half of my work day or using leave time. I used leave time. So, I got to go get in an extra workout on a normal off/ rest day. Yay!

6:00 - Stretching

6:30 - 5 Animal Chi Kung

6:45ish? Practice. TCC- bit of 40 hand form, focusing on new corrections. Just a bit of it though. 32 Gim. Fajing Form. Flute form.

Talked to my TCC instructor. The flute form is short. Between 3 and 4 minutes, but I will only be doing like a minute and a half for the exhibition, so he said we will work out an exhibition version.

CLF practice. Solo practice of two person Staff. Had an instructor help me with the opening of the second side. Practiced full first side.

15 or so minutes of white sash kicks. Also triple front kick that is a yellow sash kick.

Purple sash Techniques.

A good half hour or so on the Hung Sing Stick Form. Made myself go over small sections where I was holding my breath. Went over it until I was breathing properly, then onto the next section.

Solo Staff form.

Form 3 of formal exercise.

School closed at 9;00. Nice extra workout session today!

18. aaradia

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - Evening Shift/ Rest Day.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Well, Tai Sifu seems to be out today. So, no CLF Tai Sifu class. Mr. R was waiting for this class, only to find out last minute it was canceled. We worked on Golden Leopard vs Tiger instead.

During practice, an instructor came up and asked if we would do this form during the student exhibition at the X-mas sale. So it looks like I am doing both a TCC AND a CLF form at this exhibition.

8:00- TCC private lesson. talked about how to adapt/ shorten the TCC flute form to exhibition time. Worked on Fajing form for the first time in awhile. Yay!

8:30ish Practiced exhibition version of TCC Flute form.

9:00 - School closes.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  19. aaradia

Friday, October 23, 2015 -

6:30- Weapons class- double dagger techniques.

7:00- Advanced TCC class canceled. So, solo practice. Did the rest of all the weapon techniques. Forms 3 & 4 of formal exercise. Also Small Five Animal. 20 minutes of kicking practice. White sash kicks with one kick sequence from Yellow sash kicks.

For TCC, exhibition Flute form practice. Fajing form.

School closed at 9:20

20. aaradia

Saturday, October 24, 2015 -

9:37 - A few minutes late to start Golden Leopard vs Tiger practice with Mr. R. I did call the school to let him know I was running late and apologized when I got there.

Great practice session. I am feeling we will put on a good performance at the exhibition.

11:00 - Sparring class. Tai Sifu is out of town, so we did our more standard rules sparring and drills. Great class.

12:05ish - Moving step practice with Ms. R. I think we tried for a slightly shorter session because she had another commitment, but it felt not that much shorter.

I didn't look at the time though.

Afterwards, rested a few minutes, then TCC weapon forms practice. Got to work on most of them. Just didn't do Wind Chasing Fan and Flute. Feeling a little pain on the edge of my arm around the wrist (pinkie side) from doing so much stick and flute lately, so I decided to rest from those movements a couple of days.

Brown 1st and 3rd degree techniques. All but last two of 3rd degree as I ran out of time.

3:00 - school closed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015