Is this choi lee fut?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Joseph5, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

I've only heard about Choi Lee Fut kung fu recently. Anyways, there is this video clip of Russian Martial arts that has had me curious for some time. I was hoping some of you could clear this up for me. To find the clip go to
    http://www.systemauk.com/video2.htm - Under the heading "General Clips" download the clip named "Traditional Russian Arts" [Very Short Clip]. OKAY!
    in the third frame of the video, after you see a guy swinging what to looks to be a big white pole there is footage of some guy with hands like a "tornado". I use the term tornado because I've read how some of you guys describe Choi Lee Fut's fighting style, like a tornado. Anyways, for those who took the time to do this, is this the kinda stuff I can expect from Choi Lee Fut? Is this Choi Lee Fut? If you guys can help me clarify this it would be great.

Cheers,
    Joe.

2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Ahh. . . . . that's Systema. . . . . .

3. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

Just because the clip is from a systema website, doesn't mean it is systema. The video is a compilation of traditional martial arts from Russia, and the third frame of the video I am refering to certainly is not systema. Thanks for trying, though.

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Choy Lay Fut is a Southern Chinese Longfist Style. I don't know where you got the idea it was from Russia. . . . ;)

Here are some nice CLF videos.

CLF Videos

5. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

The fact that so much Kung Fu has found it's way in many arts foreign to China is why I thought there might be some kind of connection.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Nah. CLF was developed by 2 people, Chan Heung and Hung-Sing Jeung.

It's a mixture of 3 styles. Of course, Chan and Hung-Sing both had their own styles, and thus the Chan Family and Hung-Sing Family (branch).

So yeah. . . . . it's all Chinese.

Systema, Sambo and other Russian martial arts are extremely good though, so don't put those down.

7. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

Lets not forget Buk Sing now :p

8. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

PS that aint CLF, thats "swing wildly and hope to land a hit - fu"

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

That'll be Hung-Sing Fu. I mean, you guys kick more than use right?

And yes, Buk Sing is the third branch, but they are basically honorary Hung-Sing. :D :rolleyes:

Kidding!!!!

Seriously speaking however, Buk Sing did derive from Hung-Sing, so they are like our little brothers. :Angel:

10. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

Wow!!

That's a comment i'm sure alot of Buk Sing ppl would have a problem with.

jeff:)

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Well. . . . . it's true. . . .

Tarm Sarm was a Hung-Sing student. . . . . .

The came from Hung-Sing. . . . .

I have just as much respect for Buk as Hung, but they ARE essentially our brothers.

And BTW, Hung-Sing and Buk-Sing don't really have any politics. It's the Chan Family that the Hung/Buk guys have had issues with (I don't have any personally, I leave politics to ppl who have time to waste).

12. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

I never said whether the comment was right or wrong ,it's just the way you stated it, that i was saying i'm sure some would have a problem with.

"so they are like our little brothers. "

I know the history of CLF all three branches, i was just commenting on the little brothers part.

13. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

I actually met Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung a number of times when i lived in florida. What amazed me was that he actually remembered me everytime he saw me from a tournament performance i did. I couldn't believe someone of his level would even notice me much less remember me from all the ppl that performed at that tourney.

I actually found out about Black Tiger when i went to join the Ft. Lauderdale school after his death. I met with Joe Keit and Li Siu Hung to discuss joining the school, but i didn't at the time care for Li Siu Hung after meeting him. It wasn't until later that i realised that his english wasn't so good ,thus the reason he just looked at me when i asked him questions or mentioned his brother.

But i bought the Kung Fu Qigong Magazine with Li Siu Hung on the cover with the 8 Drunken Immortals issue. Inside was an article on Black Tiger ,that i couldn't stop reading ,so that's how i ended up learning Black Tiger instead.

No problems though i wasn't trying to start anything ,i was just commenting.

14. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

For someone that claims to avoid politics, you're making some pretty controversial statements here. Especially as it's quite apparent that you don't know a great deal about what you're saying.

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

A) I was being sarcastic (about the little brother part).

B) I was trying to write a history that is both long and confusing in about 2 sentences.

And I do know CLF history BTW MoL Lung. :D

It must have sounded like some half-made up myth from the way I put it though. . . . . :rolleyes:

16. RobP

RobP Valued Member

It's on a Systema site, it's a systema web clip and it certainly is Systema :rolleyes: It's a style of boxing based on eliptical figure 8 type movements. Some say it developed from sword fighting.

You can see the Cossack guys doing very similar work in the recent Go Warrior documentary.

17. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

I had a peek at the clips you linked to.

I didn't realise that the CLF forms were so dynamic!

Always thought they would be more like other southern systems.

See...............I learn a new thing every day! cool!!!!

18. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

It is a clip of a russian fist cuffing style. There are many traditional fighting systems in Russia. Some made their way into the millitary, some not. It certainly is not Kung Fu.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest