Left Hook - any experienced boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Mar 11, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hey guys. Rookie Boxer here with 1 year experience. How long did it take you to develop your left hook? This is the only one now I'm struggling with. Any tips? When I throw and sink, my left hip swings out a more than it should (feels like I'm exposing my liver). If I sink only a little bit, there isn't much power. Does this particular punch take a long time to develop?

The right overhand has got to be my most powerful punch. is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmAFFvdGc_o

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Your liver isn't on your left side mate.

3. Pretty In Pink

Do a few boxing rounds and don't throw your right hand. Your left hand will get versatile very quickly.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Have shot a video and will uoad later.

5. EdiSco

I knew that! LOL! :cry: I meant the right hand goes up further than usual to protect head so a shovel hook counter would be easier for the opponent. or is it just me??

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I assume you mean front hook yes?

7. EdiSco

Yes, lead (left) hook.

8. Simon

So before I post my video is it the hook, or the defence you are having issues with?

9. EdiSco

Thanks Simon! It's the technique I have issues with esp. when sparring.

10. Simon

Video will be posted in a couple of hours.
    Ask further questions when you see it and I can do another tomorrow if necessary.

11. Simon

Nojon likes this.
  12. EdiSco

Thanks! Really appreciate this. Will need to watch it a few more times and practice, practice, practice. I think my main issue was I wasn't keeping back straight and lower back was sticking out too much. I've always found left/lead hook (to face/chin) awkward. I've been told it takes a lot of practice to perfect. Thanks again.

13. Pretty In Pink

You've got to remember to turn your wrist too depending on the distance. It's analogue. If you are hooking someone close to you, then you make sure your palm is facing you. Of you are throwing a hook from further away you turn your knuckles in towards you.

14. EdiSco

Just out of interest, what knuckles do you hit with? I hit with the 2nd knuckle from the pinkie (basically how Jack Dempsey instructs in his book - he is spot on about the power line running from shoulder to the fist knuckle of pinkie!). I even hit heavy bag this way without wraps without hurting wrists!

15. Pretty In Pink

Tbh with gloves on it doesn't matter too much. Top two knuckles in a street fight or MMA fight though.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just my 2.0 (I'm not a great boxer by any standard), but I hit with the knuckles of my index and middle fingers. This was inherited from my Tae Kwon Do background, but more importantly, it's what works best for me. You should experiment with different striking surfaces and pick the best fit for you.

17. EdiSco

True. I know many who hit with the middle knuckle and they hit like a freight train! I couldn't hit this way without wraps without hurting wrists. different physicality I suppose. But in a street fight (if I was ever unlucky enough to get into one) with a much bigger guy, I would use palms. It really doesn't take much practice to use the same mechanics as punching when using palm strikes.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yep. Palm strikes/slaps can ruin your day if you get caught by a good one. I think target selection plays a cruical role once you take boxing techniques (or any discipline's techniques for that matter) out of the context of the sport, and into the realm of street fighting; I always sought out "soft" targets with my punches, such as the groin or throat, which would be illegal/unethical in boxing sparring or a match. Never had to worry too much about power or damaging my hand(s) that way.

19. Simon

It's possible you were doing what I call hunting with the eyes.

It's the desire to hit the other person that has you leaning forward and it projects your head in front off your hands and it leaves you horribly exposed.

The answer is to stand upright, get your head behind your hands then sink into your stance.

You'll then have to use your feet to get you in range, rather than leaning forward to reach.

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I love left hooks. :)