Tabi boots/shoes

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ceyeb0rg, Dec 23, 2016.

1. ceyeb0rg

ceyeb0rg Valued Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to get my hands on a pair of tabi that are good for hiking as well as dojo training.
    I've found a bunch of different models on the web so far but I don't know exactly what I should be looking for.
    Some of them have velcro, some of them have laces, etc. so as a beginner I'm kind of lost here.
    I noticed some of them have the bottom going up until the front of the toes, making them look more legit than the average cheap-looking sweatshop stuff and I'm wondering if it's actually better for training toe kicks and such.
    I'm looking for something comfortable that will last me in the woods and still be useful in the dojo.

Please share some experience with different models and pros & cons of every aspect/material.

I know the forum condemns advertising so I'm not necessarily looking for online store links, just some advice and pertinent points.

Thanks in advance.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Generally you wont use the same tabi for use outdoors and in the dojo

Most of the outdoor variety don't last long or have much padding in the soles. Have a look online for taiko drumming equipment- they tend to use good quality ones

4. ceyeb0rg

ceyeb0rg Valued Member

I don't like most 5-finger models and I feel like they must be a pain to clean.
    I prefer sticking with the traditional 2-toes, unless there are actual benefits to having your toes individually split into the shoe.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Outside Tabi are different to inside Tabi, inside tabi are closer to socks then shoes.
    Also even if you train inside with outside style tabi (which will damage the mats) You don't train in ones used outside, Outside is dirty, inside should be clean.

Also Tabi are useless for hiking.

So in short, only buy the tabi for training in, that your Sensei wants in the Dojo.

Don't Buy Tabi for hiking in.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You can stick them in the washing machine with your laundry. The individually articulated toes give you better grip when hiking over rough ground, rock climbing, etc.

7. Dead_pool

8. Dead_pool

9. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

Wear what is allowed inside your dojo that you also feel comfortable in. I have worn the typical cloth sole, suede, leather tabi and Vibrums 5-fingers in dojo, on matts and wood floors. They all have different pros/cons to consider and I like varying the feel. the cotton sole is fun as they can be slippery :)
    During outside practice I have worn the inexpensive jika tabi (rubber sole) and Vibrum 5 fingers. They each have pros/cons.

My opinion on your question on hiking would be to stay away from the typical jika tabi, in favor of a good hiking boot or if you are so inclined an alternative like the 5 fingers. My preference is a good sole to start then your desire for support/cushioning.
    The basic jika tabi are not great for this. But as dunc mentioned you could look at jika tabi with padded soles. I've seen some matsuri ones that do.

Good luck.

10. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

Even though I have tough feet from my karate days, it just feels weird not wearing either tabi, jika-tabi or tennis shoes when training, I guess because I've been wearing tabi for so long. Plus, a black gi without tabi looks weird to me now, but a white or blue gi looks "normal". Strange.