Golovkin vs. Brook

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cloudz, Sep 9, 2016.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey sports fans, I'm excited for this fight. Maybe it's because I grew up on Boxing as "the combat sport" The big fights are more of a draw to me than any those from any other combat sport.

This should be an absolute classic battle. As a Brit I have to root for our guy, and he's a great fighter too. There's so much that is interesting about this match up and it's been fascinating watching some of the build up.

I'm going to go for a points win for Brook.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I'd love Brook to win, but I can't say I'm super optimistic about it. I don't think he can dodge Golovkin all night and I'd be surprised if he has the power to back him off.

I've got a tenner on a Brook decision, though, it's 10-1 on Betfair right now and there's only two guys in there...

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea, that's good value, I would definitely take that. It's an extremely tall order, but it would be incredible if he did it..
    I'll have to see what price I can get off Ladbrokes. :)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just heard a news report that Brook saw "fear" in GGG's eyes at the weigh-in.
    I don't think he did. Fear doesn't seem to be GGG's thing. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I've been a 3G fan for a long time. As much as I would like to support my fellow countryman Brook, I want Golovkin to win. And I think he will KO Brook in spectacular fashion, similar to when Alvarez put down Khan. Still, hats off to Brook for taking it on.

Good preview here: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/37310111

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

It's a tough match to call.
    Brook is a top notch boxer and GGG hasn't fought someone like him since his amateur days.
    Golovkin has fought only cans till now as a professional and some people think his defensive skills have regressed because of that.

Brook on the other hand, is very solid and maybe the best in the welterweight division, but we haven't seen enough of him either. He isn't particularly fast on his feet, a trait he would need in order to beat GGG and who knows how the extra kgs will affect him.

I am itching to make a bet on Brook...

PS: There are rumours that Golovkin didn't look well in the weight in. Like he was sick or something.
    If it's true that can play a big role in the match.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I hate all this crap about people fighting "cans". You can't win any world titles in boxing without fighting very good boxers that would knock all of us out, probably st the same time. I'm simply not wearing it. You can legitimately say that "Kell is a superior boxer to GGG's previous opponents". Calling them cans is IMO out of line. It's disrespectful to people that put their mental health and sometimes lives on the line.

If you think they are cans I DARE you to go out and become a boxing world champion.

8. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Yeah, it isn't a nice thing to say for guys who give their best and fight at the world level.

I am just doing harmless small talk from my couch, but I guess that rubs a fighter like you the wrong way and it's a forum full of martial artists and fighters after all..

My bad!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't worry about it. I apologise for snapping at you. It's not only you, but it does seem almost exclusively to appear in boxingculture and literature. If you're fighting at that level you are world class IMO.

10. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

No problem. You are right.
    Although it's a matter of perspective though. These guys are elite compare to the vast majority of the population but for people like Mayweather and Golovkin they might look like a target practice.

In the boxing culture you mentioned, many people identify themselves with the best so sometimes you see some guys talking the way I did, although
    if they spend a second, thinking of this notion, I think anyone will agree that it's ironic and ridiculous.