Grip strength when lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dan93, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hi all,

Don't get a chance to post much at the moment so thought I would take the opportunity.

I am doing a lot of weight training at the moment (5 days a week) and I am finding that my grip is failing on moving up weight rather than my strength and I am missing reps.

Does anyone have any tips for improvement. might have to dig out the powerball but wondering if anyone has any other methods.

Cheers

Dan

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pull ups with gi sleeves and weights?

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

interesting idea Chadderz. Might get some funny looks in my local gym through :)

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

CoC Grippers, using rope for the handle on any pulley system (or for pull-ups), and using a fat bar.

The first two are the easiest to attain, the third and cost a bit to get yourself if you don't have access to one.

When I was deadlifting a lot around 17-18 years old my grip failed when I was able to do 400 or so pounds for reps. I got the CoC #1 and worked it like crazy for a month and suddenly my deadlifts shot up 100 lbs because I could hold on to the weight.

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Cheers Ero! Will look into this and see if they have these at my gym. Pretty sure they do, if not will look to invest for myself. Will report how it goes!

Cheers

Dan

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have like the weakest fingers ever. (But my meathooks are fine...weird that)

Heavy shrugs with big dumbbells.
    A lot of kettlebell work
    Also the rope tricep pull down. Grab the ...erm.. spherical ends of the rope like youre doing an eagle claw and pull that way.

Gi/towel pull ups is a good method.

My fingers are still weak but slowly building it up.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

have you tried jars ?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwO0PScqcd8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwO0PScqcd8[/ame]

Training the hands and wrists is also improved by using herbal "teas". These are applied to the skin. They can be help soft tissue to recover from training more quickly. This both speeds progress in training and reduces the chances of tendon problems etc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Actually one that my grip really struggles on is on dumbell shrugs nearly dropped one the other day on my foot putting it back in the rack after reps!.. like the idea of the eagle claw when doing tri pulls will try that tonight when training.

I used to do alot of Kettle work but moved to weights, might revisit that.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Actually no. Looked into Hojo Undo gripping jars to supplement my training but never got round to doing it. Looks easy enough to do at home as will look at this thanks.

Good advice so far. Cheers guys!

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Doing dead lifts to max out, I have to use straps. Are you opposed to straps?

On bench press, I had a different issue. I wasn't keeping my wrist straight. Once I corrected to keep my wrist straight, that helped. This doesn't really have to do with grip, but I think it is related.

11. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

First of all stop encouraging your weaknesses you will feel the difference then :) try to lift heavy weights and use grip builders like towels, fat grips , squeeze the bar with hands during the set and lift often as repetitive stress helps to increase grip.

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Not opposed just not aware as never seen straps being used for this. I am actually ok with bench press its more dead lifts and dumbell exercises like Arnold presses and bar exercises like upward rows I am having difficulty.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Simplest way is just to hold heavy things a whole bunch. Hanging from time from a pull-up bar also works. Also what everyone else said.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Stahp with the super exciting grip workouts man . . . .

Holding things and hanging from a bar just sounds riveting xD

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

For maxing out dead lifts, the straps used are like this:

[​IMG]

Also, remember that long term grip and short term grips are different. For short term grips (like making a fist or maybe something like eagle claw), the focus is going to be on the finger tips. Using the finger tips to drive the power of the grip will engage the forearms and make a fist really solid or put the hurt into whatever your grab.

However, for long term grips (like rock climbing, grabs to clothes, grabs to yourself, etc), you do not want that kind of force on your tendons. Instead, for long term grips, keep the finger at 90 degrees to the hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

webcrest's post really got me thinking. A wider grip on the bar would allow more of the 90 degree at the fingers, like in a long term grip. Maybe something like the following:

[​IMG]

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Cheers Rebel Wado!

Will check those out on Amazon..Also thanks for the advice on the different grips, familiar with the 90deg type grip as I use it often in my Judo/Jujitsu but your post has made me think more on the subject, which I plan to delve more into.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- square bag throwing.
    - long bag swinging.
    - brick twisting.
    - cane bundle twisting.
    - wooden stick twisting.
    - single head rotation.
    - stone lock swinging.

IMO, the square bag throwing is the best. You can even throw it all by yourself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4XiRiU0QY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4XiRiU0QY[/ame]

The cane bundle twisting is the next best.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-A5NJpNkKc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-A5NJpNkKc[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Oh a warning about straps. Be aware that you can't just drop weights if you are in trouble. I don't think that matters for dead lift, but it might matter for other lifts.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Well, you can always row the heavy thing in the meanwhile. Or do pullups. Or just grab things heavy enough to not get bored, and hang with only one hand :p

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Farmers Walks and Suitcase carries are good (they also help with core strength and conditioning). If you have trouble with holding on the the bar chalk can help, as can using a mixed grip for deadlifts (once you get to the point that a double overhand grip is too weak).