krav maga love it

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by nico77, May 7, 2016.

1. nico77

nico77 New Member

hi everyone my name is nico and i'm a krav maga beginner.

sorry for my english but i'm italian and dont' know well the language.

forgive me!

i train for three years twice a week. i have a orange belt now but i have a one

question in my head.

do yuo thing most important sparring or tecnical or fitness for a perfect

shape in this artial marts?

thank yuo for your answers.

please correct me if i wrong when i write

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The following are what most people may believe in.

- Strength can defeat 10 best techniques.
    - 4 oz skill force can counter 1000 lb dump force.
    - Well trained > fast > slow > untrained.
    - Courage > strength > MA skill.
    - When 2 persons meet in a dark alley, whoever has more courage will win.

One thing for sure is if you can run faster than your opponent does, his attack cannot land on your body.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Technique > all. Old boxers beat strong young punks on a regular enough basis. Heck, BJ Penn hardly used to do any dedicated conditioning.

But it's not an either or thing. You need to develop all attributes, just like those old boxers did when they were young. Technical skill is just the priority for a skill based sport. We're not cross-fitters or power lifters, we're martial artists and some competitive fighters. If you're really strong but can't coordinate those muscles to punch properly all your strength is useless.

Physical conditioning is a vehicle for better delivery of technical skill and sparring develops that technical skill in a live environment.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Only in limited (ruleset) environments.

It gives an edge, just like strength gives an edge. There's a reason why every contact combative sport has weight classes.

The idea that skill in martial arts miraculously allows you to defeat bigger stronger opponents (especially those intent on harming you) is a dangerous myth that is the exception to the norm. It gives you a chance, no more.

I can remember seeing former MAP mod Gary just picking up more experienced martial artists on a Sim Day and dumping them on the ground. They had to be lucky all the time to prevent him using his strength, he didn't need to be lucky, he just had to get his hands on them.

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

This is interesting....would you say though that the weight advantage stops after a certain weight? MMA/Boxing heavyweight divisions start at 200-210lbs (95kg/15st)? I can't find any divisions beyond that. if someone were too big and muscular, say, over 17/18 stones - then they would be slower and gas out too quickly? They could still stomp you though lol. although nobody could beat andre the giant in wrestling :)

In boxing weight matters cos of the restricted ruleset but in thai for instance, you could knock out an elephant with a flying knee! but then again, I'm picturing a bigger opponent vs a smaller one and even the knee/kick isn't going to do as much damage as the opponent's punch could do...I don't know!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02FfY0zHy4"]Flying Knees in MMA - YouTube[/ame]

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is a slaw in your argument. Weight classes exist in competition, however, BOTH fighters will be very well trained.

"Martial arts gives you the advantage and chance to beat bigger stronger opponents" should come with an asterisk saying "*against hose who don't train."

I like to think of computer games when describing Weight and skill. I think of multipliers and handicaps.

For instance Me:

Martial arts x 5
    Reach advantage x2.5
    Strength x0.5
    Knife x15

Untrained opponent:

Martial arts x1
    300lb X2
    Gun x500000

7. John Titchen

Well lighter does not necessarily mean faster (or more flexible). Generally speaking, depending on the activity, greater size doesn't necessarily correlate with lower aerobic or anaerobic stamina and while stamina is essential for combative sports, it is less of a requirement for non consensual violent confrontations which tend to last a few seconds.

Whether the weight advantage stops after a point depends on the activity. With regard to your boxing/MMA example, the likely weight range over 95kg will be dependant on the ease of maintaining a particular weight and muscle mass while being active in your sport (and predominantly focusing on that)

8. John Titchen

I took that as a given. :)

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

True but I read "fitness" in the OP as general strength and conditioning, not becoming a gigantic muscle bound behemoth. The rest I certainly agree with.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mma heavyweight division goes from 205 -265 and this massive gap has more to do with lack of talent pool that anything to do with the advantages a 265 man has over a 205 man.

And those advantages are huge to be honest especially if guys are fairly equal in skill set.

Or put another way there's a reason John Jones cuts to 205 rather than face someone like Brock lesnar who used to cut to make 265

11. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

Technique is more important than cardio in a declared fight because most fights don't last long. But they might or you might have to run before you fight and if you're too tired to deliver technique you would wish your training included fitness.

And if you're not fit when you train you will not train as well as if you were.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Technical sparring for in class training, which should alwaysbe your primary focus.

Run and lift weights etc outside of class.

13. nico77

nico77 New Member

there are a real video about kraw maga?

unfortunatly since there are no races, i do not find on you tube nothing.

14. Remi Lessore

Videos

Hi Nico
    Here are a couple.
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQuX6R8yrM[/ame]
    And
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=budy5KyJmCc[/ame]

I don't know if that's what you mean.
    Happy training.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

16. Remi Lessore

Full contact fights

Or do you mean krav maga fights?
    If you search YouTube

Krav Maga combat dur ceinture

Many FEKM students have posted their grading fights (for green, blue, brown, black) belts. Many are quite scrappy, a few are good.
    But note - it's a grading test. They are looking for courage, composure and respect. This type of thing is better in a combat sports gym than in krav maga.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

This isn't MMA but does seem a bit more real than the promo vids..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Ntn-EPjTo[/ame]

Neither fighter looks particularly stunning.. :' P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AbafbmFqcs[/ame]

Again not much difference between persons but .. maybe that's the rule set? KM guy isn't adapting to it well.

LFD

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  18. Remi Lessore

I agree.
    I would question the KM guy's wisdom in entering the ring as a kravist.
    If he wants to compete in a ring in front of an audience then that's what he needs to prepare for.
    Forget knife defences, gun defences, club defences, kicks to the groin which will get him disqualified, multiple attack disengages and all the other KM exercises which are a a waist of time if you are preparing to stand your ground against an athlete.
    Join an MMA gym and learn that. Much of it will also be excellent for SD, though more focused.

PS the videos I posted were training tools rather than demos and the YouTube search suggestion is for real fights from gradings. There are plenty of demos as well.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not being funny but if they cant handle a unarmed situation against someone same size and abilities, id have serious doubts about their abilities to handle someone armed or more than one person at a time

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahah....have you seen groin shots in MMA?
    They don't disqualify people for doing them. They give some recovery time and then it's back on.
    Hell Jon Jones gets 4-5 free eye jabs every fight too! :(