Sun Taiji....Too Lazy to Tie Coat application

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Subitai, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Here's a video I did on Sun Style Taiji : "Too Lazy to tie the Coat"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEp8NtQrYto"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEp8NtQrYto[/ame]

2. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-JyXM9eD0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-JyXM9eD0[/ame]

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Interesting.
    It seemed quite convoluted, and as if it would require the opponent to be very patient with you.

Edit:
    What I mean is, it's very "Step 1, step 2" - I think this is because you're looking at applying 'the form' in sequence, rather than smashing it down to individual movements and rebuilding it as you need to.

4. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

I would agree and disagree with you:

Agree in so much that I could just crash into my opponent and keep rolling after initial bridge. But that is poor methodology IMO. My reason for saying that is because everyone trains for that.

On the contrary, the best way that I like to do things is the counter and follow...some people are better at that than others, it comes with experience. I prefer that and IMO it's the smarter choice as you get older. You just have to know what you're doing.

I would disagree that it's convoluted...It's not too complex or step by step as you say.
    For example, I can use brush knee the way I'm using in the video fast vs a punch: I can do it off a Jab - cross (either I'm fast enough vs the Jab) or I check the jab 1st and hit the cross. I can especially use brush knee as a starter if a person is in push range. Without a doubt Taiji is very good at this close range.

From there, it's never about step by step...it's always about follow the reaction of your opponent. It's just the opposite...I'm the one who's being patient. When I control my opponents center(or have a good handle on where it is).... if my opponent moves in any way to hit me or ignore my control, I'll be there 1st.

I'm not sure if you care to watch or look at the series I did about Hung Gar...but this will give you an example of what I'm talking about:
    Hung Gar Application Concepts 2 Parallel & Perpendicular
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DtHiBO8CW0&index=6&list=PLGqlk-R-773gdi1vGSo18Bm3ncmWKtQDI"]Hung Gar Application Concepts 2 Parallel & Perpendicular - YouTube[/ame]

Of course it's a little different with Taiji...but I hope you get the idea.

P.S. I think this might also explain somethings as well:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKAMa2oxKc&index=6&list=PLGqlk-R-773inXtr-3bfqWNulOjcT6sl_"]Tai Chi Chuan Split Lead Follow - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxCkr14nw4"]Sun Tai Chi Application Wu Chi to BeginningTai Chi - YouTube[/ame]

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Subitai, if you are going to post videos on MAP, please take the time to explain what they are and why they are worht people having a look at. Thank you.

7. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Ok, my bad... I thought they were pretty much self explanatory.

My purpose was to share what I do and to show some details via YT.

Do you mean I need to also have for example, the description of what each video is about?

One video was:

- Details about "Wu Chi" and an example about applying:
    "Beginning Tai Chi" leading up to "lazily tying coat"

another was:

-examples for usage "Too Lazy to Tie the Coat" methods

====================

To my knowledge I also engaged in a productive discussion with another member on this thread in some detail. In my opinion it seemed to go well.

If what I'm sharing is not appropriate or wanted here just tell me.

8. Dan Bian

I think what is being got-at here is the reviving of a 5-month old thread by posting a video without any other input from you as to why you think it is relevant to the discussion.

Even without the time issue, it's generally considered rude to just drop videos onto threads without sharing your thoughts and opinions on them.

Aside from that, I've watched a couple of your videos, and heard you say a few times that there are things that are unique to your school, or that you haven't heard of being taught elsewhere.
    I rewatched and rewatched, and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary - perhaps you could share some of your school's unique training, what makes it different from what others are doing, and the benefits it has?

EG: at 42secs in your latest video, the subtitles say that you are not aware of this particular aspect being taught elsewhere.
    Several times you mention the dantien needs to feel 'full' - can you explain what this means? You also state that this feeling is important, but do not explain why?

These are just a couple of examples of things you could mention when posting videos, particularly of your own training/teaching.

9. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Really, I can't revive my OWN thread...the one that "I" started? With the expressed purpose of continuing it as I go along? I wouldn't think that it's rude, but mabe that's just me.

I've seen in other forums where people "keep up" what is been shown by using the same thread. In that way, it keeps everything concise and doesn't clutter the place up.

Really, so you seen people demonstrating Sun style the way I'm using it? Exactly like that?

I meet allot of martial artists, I've pushed and exchanged and fought allot...and from my point of view i'm correct. If you don't think so then I can't help that. Further more, if you don't think what i'm showing is special, that's fine. To each his own...you can choose to ignore me. I'm merely showing what I do.

To my knowledge, there isn't ONE single Sun Style video that is explaining for example how they apply the start = "Wu Chi...to raise hands beginning tai chi" the same way as I showed in that latter video. I do that for all my videos, I show it and I give the details into how exactly it works. IMO, especially free on Youtube; Most people don't make videos like I do. Especially, for most Sun people, that would be different for them.

Further more, as my thread suggests...this is about Sun Taiji. If you know Sun style then you would see the value in what I'm giving. Then you wouldn't be asking about how the dan tien becomes full.

* In true Wu Chi...a person is completely empty: No mind, no root and no particular focus of energy. Upon, wrapping the hands back, gently squeezing the elbows and making the dan tien full... you literally change how the lower abdomen feels. Try it yourself: If you cannot get this by what I said and how I literally demonstrated it on video...then come see me one day and i'd be happy to show you. :)

I talk about Simple, but simple can be very advanced in the hands of the right person. Just because what I'm doing looks simple doesn't mean it's not special. In my experience, the more advanced you are; the more simple you become...but the difference is in how you apply the fundamentals and energies. Those make the difference between expert and novice.

I'm just curious now: Show me one video out there where someone is teaching "lead" the way I'm explaining it in the my video: "split, Lead and follow". If you cannot, then regardless if you're an expert...my post has value for the people who don't know it already.

When I'm teaching, I teach for westerners to understand. I teach the way I wish my own sifu would have given it to me. Instead of him making me work so hard for it.

It sounds like ego and as martial artists we all have to suppress it. I fully admit, there's TONS that I don't know. (everybody has allot to learn) The trick is...I only talk about what I'm really good at and what I can do to people even when they know it's coming.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You are welcome to revive your thread with new and up to date information. We just ask that you provide some information about any videos you are posting - what they contain, why you think they are worth posting and some discussion points.

11. Dan Bian

I don't claim to have witnessed every possible practitioner of Sun style. But, just because you or I haven't witnessed it, I think it's a bit misleading to claim that your school is the only one to practice in such a way - even if you add the disclaimer "to my knowledge".

That's cool. I'm assuming you're referring being "correct" in terms of stating you are the only one(s) to practice like this?

So, because it's not on youtube, it doesn't exist?

I do like the format of your videos.

Most Sun people 'that you know/have seen'.

Taijiquan is Taijiquan. Different shapes, same engine.
    Yang style also talks about the dantien being 'full' - but since you made a point about this being so important in your video, I thought I might ask you to expand on the subject, as you seemed to brush over it quite quickly in your video.
    After all, a discussion forum is pointless if we just assume that we all know what each other is thinking.

In what way? And why is it so important?

I get what you're doing - but you haven't explained what the relevance is.
    A trip to the states is a bit out of my budget at the moment.

A very smooth way of attempting to establish your superiority.

I really don't have the time, nor inclination, to trawl the interwebs looking for such a video. And, again; just because the almighty youtube doesn't have a video, doesn't mean that you are unique in this practice.

Perhaps if you could post with such clarity as you purport to teach with.
    Discussion point: What is your opinion on the benefits vs pitfalls involved in 'giving' students the answers, vs giving them the keys and letting them explore under your guidance?

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I just find the videos interesting because it clarifies where some of the Sun style moves in the 48 combination form are. :)

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Where did you fight? Kung Fu competitions or kickboxing or something else? :)

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Really Dude.. The guy is trying to share stuff, the third degree isn't called for I think. But ok.. I guess.

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Chadz,

I think Subitai may be the guy who fought in the early UFC; as a Hung Gar stylist.
    Maybe other stuff too.

16. Pretty In Pink

WHAAAAT?! Are you serious? :D

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

lol, I think so, maybe he can confirm. would be slightly funny and embarrassing for me if he wasn't. ha:)

18. Pretty In Pink

That's the coolest thing EVER! I need to know more.

19. Pretty In Pink

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_b5lP6Blo"]Filipino Arts & Hung Gar Kung Fu in MMA - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_H4vW-9_w"]Very rare Kung-Fu (Hung-Gar) vs. Taekwondo - YouTube[/ame]

This one? :D

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yep, that's the fella :D

I was just looking to post them for you, beat me to it