Aikido FAQ For Noobs - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok freeform is gunna make us a sticky if we put a list together of all those questions every noob asks about Aikido. I'm assuming we need to answer the questions as well. But that's why we have Dave. :D

I'm now gunna go through every post in every thread and pick out all the tasty bits. But feel free to put together your own list and give your contribution to this question.... Is Aikido Effective?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you guys all contribute on this thread, I'll edit the thread into a new one and thus we'll have a decent FAQ!

That ok?

Here's some questions,

Whats with the double hand grabs from behind (both arms or a single arm)?

Why do attacks in Aikido all seem to be 'chops'?

Why don't you kick in Aikido?

What is 'competitive' Aikido and why is it controvertial?

How do I check my instructors credentials?

Why do they do kneeling techniques (suwari waza) in Aikido?

Thats just a few ;)

Col

3. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Yes, and it is affective as well.

Question 2: What's with the skirts?

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

5. warren

warren Valued Member

thank's for the chance to ask some questions that you will find probably stupid and annoying,

what are the main differences between the various styles of aikido as reguards to the way their techniques are executed?

which styles of aikido is geared more towards practical self defence?

which style of aikido is the closest to yoshinkan aikido as reguards to how the techniques are applied as there is a very limited number of yoshinkan instructors in the uk?

do you practice techniques against uke's who give proper resistance to techniques as uke always appears to be over compliant?

what strikes are practiced in aikido?

are defences to kicks commonly practiced in aikido?

can a small woman really control a 17 stone drunken man with aikido?

if you have a rank in a certain style of aikido can it be carried forward to a different style of aikido?

are combination techniques used in aikido?

what other arts compliment aikido?

how is aikido different from daito ryu aikijujutsu?

what makes a good aikido instructor?

are techniques practised on both sides?

why are there so many wrist grabbing techniques used in aikido when this one the least threatening attacks and two we don't carry swords any more?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

7. warren

warren Valued Member

what is visually different about the various aikido styles as reguards to the way techniques are executed then?

what style of aikido is similar to yoshinkan aikido as there are so few yoshinkan instructors in the uk?

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Adding onto this answer:
    Filipino and Indonesian martial arts typically group attacks according to angles of direction. The theory is that you'll be better prepared for self-defense if you focus not on what the attack was (a fist, a kick, a beer bottle, a stick, a knife, whatever) but rather on how it came to you. You can think of aikido in the same way. Aikido has three traditional strikes, each coming at on a different angle. They are attacks used in Japanese swordfighting. We believe that these three angles of attack are a sufficient foundation from which to learn self-defense against any attack.

Naw, I'd say all of them.
    The question is void for vagueness (and it's always asked exactly this way). Define "practical" ? See, if you're not likely to get in fist-fights, then why are you living your life in fear of a fist-fight? Why are you worrying? But if you get in arguments or lesser verbal disagreements every month, then may I suggest that "practical" means how to get disagreeable people to see your side of the story and meet you in the middle. All styles of aikido are good for this "practical self-defense."

True, but clarifying this a bit: Strikes on the asterix: vertical line cutting the body in half (the "center line" in wing chun kung fu), diagonal line, and straight punch.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

1. Which styles of Aikido is geared more towards practical self defence?
      I don’t think their are any "styles" of Aikido that are specifically "not" geared towards self defence. I think the difference is in the philosophy of the teacher. Some teachers will teach specifically with self defence in mind while others will teach with the sole aim of teaching the art.

Regardless of the approach taken, good quality teaching combined with regular attendance and committed learning by the student should always produce an individual who is well equipped to deal with a violent or non-violent conflict.

2. Do you practice techniques against uke's who give proper resistance to techniques as uke always appears to be over compliant?
      Yes. As students advance through the grades uke will give attacks that are harder to deal with. The problem with over compliance crops up when the uke has failed to properly grasp the concept of following or is simply to lazy to follow properly.

3. What strikes are practised in Aikido?
      Atemi is the most common strike in Aikido. This is commonly used more to provide a distraction to uke, enabling nage to execute another technique. However atemis can also make full contact if that is what is required. An atemi is normaly targeted to the face, neck/side of head or the back of the head.

Other strikes may include empi, which is an elbow to the ribs or gut and the Gokyo punch which requires nage to make a circle with the index finger and thumb. This is then normally targeted at the gut. A snap kick is also sometimes used when entering or hopping back to execute a technique.

4. Can a small woman really control a 17 stone drunken man with Aikido?
      Yes. Given that the small woman is sober her self and has put in the time to practice properly it is entirely possible.

5. If you have a rank in a certain style of Aikido can it be carried forward to a different style of Aikido?
      Sometimes. If the style is well known and well respected then I don’t think anybody would have a problem with it.
    6. Are combination techniques used in Aikido?
      Yes however it is entirely at the desecration of the teacher to teach it.

7. What other arts compliment Aikido?
      I generally think of it the other way around. Aikido compliments other arts. Sort of like the icing on the cake. If students want to cross train in kicking, striking or grappling arts, I think it’s better to train in the other art first then move to Aikido.

8. How is Aikido different from Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu?
      The major difference is probably in the spiritual element that O Sensei introduced. There is also another key difference in philosophy in that Aikido is geared to wards self defence and teaching people how to better deal with the stresses of life. Where as Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu (so far as I know) is geared towards fighting and battle.

9. What makes a good Aikido instructor?
      What makes a good instructor in any martial art or anything else for that matter? A few traits I would look for in an Aikido instructor are unselfish teaching and strict adherence to the basic principles that all the techniques are based around.

10. Are techniques practised on both sides?
      Yes. Techniques are also practised from behind, on the knees, with weapons, against multiple attackers and some teachers will even make students practice in the dark.

10. Freeform

What does O'Sensei mean?

What does Kancho mean?

Why are there different styles of Aikido being that it's quite young?

Who created Aikido?

11. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Warning, I don't know much about Aikido except what I read in Angry White Pyjamas and my limited knowlege of the Japanese language
    How did I score out of 4?

12. Freeform

I'll give you 2.5 / 4 ;)

But lets see what the panel of experts say, I'm going to sticky this thread for the mean time until it's pretty ripe, then I'll edit it out into 'something beautiful' ;)

Col

13. booksie_girl

Stupid me, oo can also mean great (different kanji) which is probably the one that O'Sensei is

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What does O'Sensei mean?
    -- "great teacher"

What does Kancho mean?
    -- (I don't know)

Why are there different styles of Aikido being that it's quite young?
    -- Two reasons. One, O'Sensei did things a little differently at different points in his life. His students at those times continued in the tradition of what they were taught. Second, people are different. O'Sensei authorized his top students to go forth and teach aikido their own way.

Who created Aikido?
    -- Morihei Ueshiba (but different authors spell his name in different ways)

15. Freeform

Kancho was Gozo Shioda, founder of Yoshinkan. His students refered to him as Kancho as a sign of respect, but I don't know what it means.

16. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

These aren't noob questions anymore.

17. Freeform

Ok, my bad.

Whats with all the swords?

Whats with the big skirts?

What is Ki?

Do I need a Karate or Judo suit? Whats the difference?

18. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Noobs don't notice the difference between kits..except these days colour.

Skirts are just coloured belts for people with money.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok I have a hakama so where's all my money?

Hakama
    A hakama is the skirt-like pants that some Aikidoka wear. It is a traditional piece of samurai clothing. The standard gi worn in Aikido as well as in other martial arts such as Judo or Karate was originally underclothes. Wearing it is part of the tradition of (most schools of) Aikido.

The hakama were originally meant to protect a horseman's legs from brush, etc., -- not unlike a cowboy's leather 'chaps'. Leather was hard to come by in Japan, so heavy cloth was used instead. After the samurai as a class dismounted and became more like foot-soldiers, they persisted in wearing horseman's garb because it set them apart and made them easily identifiable.

There were different styles of hakama though. The type worn by today's martial artists - with "legs" - is called a joba hakama, (roughly, horseriding thing into which one steps). A hakama that was kind of like a tube skirt - no legs - another and the third was a very long version of the second. It was worn on visits to the Shogun or Emperor. The thing was about 12-15 feet long and was folded repeatedly and placed between the feet and posterior of the visitor. This necessitated their shikko ("knee walking") for their audience and made it extremely unlikely that they could hide a weapon (retainers suited them up) or rise quickly to make an attack.

The 7 folds in the hakama (5 in the front, 2 in the back) is said to have the following symbolic meaning:

1. Yuki = courage, valor, bravery
    2. Jin = humanity, charity, benevolence
    3. Gi = justice, righteousness, integrity
    4. Rei = etiquette, courtesy, civility (also means bow/obeisance)
    5. Makoto = sincerity, honesty, reality
    6. Chugi = loyalty, fidelity, devotion
    7. Meiyo = honor, credit, glory; also reputation, dignity, prestige

In many schools, only the black belts wear hakama, in others everyone does. In some places women can start wearing it earlier than men (generally modesty of women is the explanation - remember, a gi was originally underwear).
    See for more info... http://www.aikidofaq.com/misc/hakama.html

The Difference Between Judo and Karate Gi
    A Judo gi is basically made from a heavery and harder wearing material than a Karate gi. As such the Judo gi is better suited for grappleing because it will not tear so easily.

Kancho
    This is all I could find on the word Kancho ... except for a load of stuff about some karate guy that I didn't look at. Kancho was also a different person from Gozo according to the web site (link below).

Kyoichi Inoue Kancho
    1935 born in Hokkaido.

1955 enrolled at the Yoshinkan dojo on November 1st

1970 following a request from the Metropolitan Police Office, was assigned to teach aikido to the Womens police and Riot Squad members at the Metropolitan Police School.

1996 Retired from Metropolitan Police.

1996 Returned to head Yoshinkan Honbu dojo. Assigned the title of Dojocho by Aikido Yoshinkai.

2002 Awarded the rank of Hanshi and assigned title of Kancho by Aikido Yoshinkai.
    http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org/contents/yoshinkanaikido/kancho_biographies?language=english

20. booksie_girl

I wish I had a copy of angry white pyjamas, the meaning of Kancho is given in there. However, I think it simply means something like 'head' as in the head of an organisation (Yoshinkan Aikido).