Women's Strength training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Mark Rippetoe has just published an interesting article on women's strength training on T-nation:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/strength-training-for-women

I'm particularly interested in his comments about the difference in sets and reps needed to produce consistent gains in women than men.

I think next time I tweak my programme I'm going to try moving to 5x5 rather than 3x5 and see if that helps my progress. I might also add some volume to my deadlifts.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Great article.

I have to admit the point about women being able to do 1rm with sloppier technique than men is a new one to me. The rest I'd seen/read before, but that was a new one.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'd read most of the other stuff elsewhere too. The big thing I got was his recommendation to modify the Starting Strength sets/reps thing, which I will look at implementing when I start my next cycle (which is when I finish filling in the page on my workout log book).

4. Bjjbrown

Bjjbrown Valued Member

I have not read the article but as a undergraduate strength coach for female athletes I'd be seriously looking be looking at eccentric strength. For example landing mechanics, deceleration under load and avoiding valgus as a foundation

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

this guy knows his stuff.
    You are most welcome at MAP.

On the actual article - we've known for a pretty long time that women need very different rep schemes - one of the major things is that they don't fatigue as easy at a higher percentage of their 1RM which factors in massively in planning training cycles.

I'll see if i can pull up the articles regarding chinese weightlifting and female athletes.

6. Bjjbrown

Bjjbrown Valued Member

Thank you for the compliment. I am keen, read lots but still miles away from being the coach I want to be. I'll get there! For 99% of the athletes I meet reps and sets are least of their worries. Moving properly with fantastic form imo gets results. Also imo sets and reps should be set up for a specific training effect. For example you wouldn't do ten reps in an attempt to build reactive strength

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

we used to have a real big issue with female athletes in squatting, weightlifting movements, jump landings, turning and sprinting

it seems like girls naturally go all limp and valgus. we used eccentrics to correct it but your results may vary. some folks needed serious movement training

Its something that gets overlooked a lot with cookie cutter programs.

8. Bjjbrown

Bjjbrown Valued Member

My thoughts exactly.
    I often use studies on female football as good reference points due to number of acl injuries. Studies show lower reactive strength and hamstring strength as major issues