What is your typical MA Training daily & weekly schedule

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kevin W Collins, May 20, 2015.

1. Kevin W Collins

Kevin W Collins Valued Member

Please tell what martial art style you practice and describe a typical daily and weekly schedule at your place of training. If you train where you live, please describe a typical day and a typical week.

example:

Isshin-Ryu Karate

Dojo
    Mon-Fri 5pm-7pm
    5:00-5:30.....Warm-ups/Stretching/etc. (this also includes dojo etiquette, etc.)
    5:40-5:50...Cardio (running/sprints/etc)
    6:00-6:20...History & Philosophy
    6:30-6:55...Technique & Application
    6:55-7:00...End of Class Briefing

Home training will be scheduled around work and family schedules. The following example is mainly for teens summer training or instructors personal training.

This also goes for those who are training in traditional informal ways.

5:30am-6:00am...Wake-up
    6:00am-6:30am...Morning Hygiene, Stretch & Exercise
    6:30am-7:00am...Cook
    7:00am-8:00am...Breakfast
    8:00am-9:00am...History
    9:00am-10:00am..Philosophy
    10:00am-11:00am..Technique & Application
    11:00am-11:30am...Wash-up/Refresh
    11:30am-12:00pm...Cook
    12:00pm-1:00pm...Lunch
    1:00pm-3:30pm...Technique & Application
    3:30pm-4:00pm...Wash-up/Refresh
    4:00pm-5:00pm...Cooking
    5:00pm-6:00pm...Dinner
    6:00pm-7:00pm...Conversation (Any Topics)
    7:00pm-8:00pm...Knowledge Assessment
    8:00pm-9:00pm...Personal Practice
    9:00pm-10:00pm...Night Training
    10:00pm-11:00pm...Shower

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hi Kevin, the answer for many of us (myself included) can be found in the Training Logs part of MAP.

You seem like a good candidate to start a log there as well! :)

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no fixed schedule here other than actual classes. i do things as the mood strikes, mostly at home, usually completely at random.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

In running my classes I often deviate from my schedule and lesson plans as much as keep to them. If students ask questions they have an interest in the answer and I think it's important to try to help them comprehend. Sometimes it's "why does this work here but not here" or "how do I defend against X" but often I'll go in another direction because of what the students need.

Having trouble with the footwork in a technique? Let's drill some footwork for a bit and then go back and work on it.
    I think it's important to be adaptable in this way.

5. Kevin W Collins

Actually, all the training I've had was informal and unorthodox as I never trained in a dojo.

Remembering what one of my instructors said when I bowed in for class. He smacked me in the head and said, "no...no...no...no...never bow to anyone because the only one you bow to is God himself." I respected him for that because he showed me right away that he taught in his own way. I'm sure if it was in a dojo he woulda been different about it but it was at his home.

Another instructor of mine required that I bow in and out of class and for sparring and kata etc...and we trained at his home.

My uncle who taught me pro wrestling, judo/jujutsu, and moo duk kwan never required me to bow in and out but did require us to bow to him and our sparring partners.

I have actually created my own martial art style but i dont even have a name for it. It has histories going back to world known people like Bruce Lee and Masaaki Hatsumi as well as others. My tournaments were all the fights I been in...yes this included high ranked students of the local dojo's (most of whom were bullies who let their training go to their heads)

so i dont even know what to call my style to be honest :)

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Are the examples in the first post just made up or real?

Maybe I need more coffee, but you do 25 minutes of technique and application in a two hour class?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know you are here Jackson....I can smell the damn popcorn

8. Kevin W Collins

hahaha...your response made me laugh. The dojo example is just that...an example. I have seen some dojo use that example but those dojo are a Monday through Friday dojo so that's not just 25 minutes of technique and application in a 2 hour class. It is 25 minutes of technique and application in a 2 hour class 5 days a week. Less days a week would obviously have more time devoted to technique and application

Considering the quote below...

I say good catch with the eye and drink more coffee :)

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What does an end of class briefing consist of? Just summing up the class? Announcements?

10. Kevin W Collins

Oh hell...I thought it was just my nose playing tricks on me ~goes looking for the popcorn~

11. Kevin W Collins

mostly announcements but your absolutely correct

12. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Tuesday and Thursday 5 to 630 a.m teach class it goes in any direction the students want within required curriculum.
    Monday Wednesday friday and Saturday 630 Cardio and techniques personal and with wife.

7 to 9 p.m Monday judo Tuesday wrestling when my shoulder can handle it Wednesday mma technique Thursday boxing Friday sparring and open mat time. Saturday karate Sunday sleep till my kids get me up.

Kids are in class on Monday Wednesday and Friday 5 to 6 p.m

Full time at the job 8 to 430 and kid time fills the rest of my time.

I am now out of scheduled free time for the day. Back to work.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is craziness. This isn't real right?
    Why is your warm up longer than your cardio?
    Why does it take half an hour to get warm?
    What happens between 5:30 and 5:40 and/or 5:50 and 6:00 and/or 6:20 and 6:30? Tea-breaks? Doesn't a 10 minute break defeat the object of doing a warm-up?
    Don't you think stopping to chat about History & Philosophy for 20 minutes might break the flow of the class?
    25 minute of actual training? Really?

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You didn't even get as far as mentioning his hour in the shower! :D

15. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

One does not simply rush singing Celine Dion :p

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And he missed off...

11:30 - 12:00...Type out utterly unrealistic schedule

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is that meant to be thirty minutes, or twenty four hours and thirty minutes? ;)

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

When I teach, my basic schedule is something like this (not starting from midnight, but our classes start at different times every session, so this is time per session):

0:00 - Mats out, warm up, opening ritual
    0:20 - Breakfalls
    0:40 - Techniques and application. Any pressure testing also fits in here.
    1:57 - Remember we have to be out of the room, closing ritual, mats away, run out to glares of the next club to come in after us
    2:10 - Pub. Any chat about the art happens here, but it's usually a lot less high brow than that.

We believe that a 2-hour class should be 2 hours of learning the art or preparing to learn the art.

19. Kevin W Collins

This is funny...certain ones are criticizing the dojo example I posted even when I said in this very thread that I never trained in a dojo. My training was informal and unorthodox. I have posted that I have seen certain dojo follow that example...trust me it did not seem the type of dojo I wanted to train in. In fact, that dojo is one of those where the instructor was a fraud. Their technique was a bit off to me as well.

I only used that 2 hour dojo class as an EXAMPLE...I don't follow that schedule. To me...it is just as unrealistic to me as it seems to everyone else. I would never follow an example like that

20. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Zanshin karate. One night a week for exactly one hour.

Warm-up, ten min.
    Single technique, ten min.
    Combination technique ten min.
    Foot work and movement, ten minutes.
    Shadow boxing or sparring ten min.
    Cool down, stretching and announcement, ten minutes.

Zanshin combatitives one night a week one hour.
    Warm up, stretching, break falls. Ten minutes.
    Single technique, including sweeps, throws and take downs. Ten min.
    Technique break down, instructor covers a technique or techniques, ten-twenty minutes.
    Technique application, ten to twenty minutes.
    A quick announcement-three minutes.

We spar for the full class every other week.

That's the breakdown where I train.

Last edited: May 21, 2015