BW training before or after MA training??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spenzores, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

Hi everyone im a newbie to this site and I just wanted to get some opinions on something.
    When I train alone I usually split the workout in 2 so I do kicks on and off the bag and then an intense plyometric routine, so what do you guys think I should do 1st the plyo's or the kicks usually I do the kicks 1st but just wanted some opinions thanks guys :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Warm up including dynamic stretching first.

Technique next, strength last.

The reason for this is you don't want to be tired when trying to get your technique right.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  3. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I do a dynamic warm up before hand, and thanks for the feedback mate

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Simon is absolutely spot on.

Also, I would say try to separate skill and conditioning entirely if you can, e.g. morning workout (skill) and evening workout (conditioning). Different days is even better.

5. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

Yeah that would be ideal but I work a good deal of the week so its tricky to fit in all the training I do hence the combining of the 2. Just curious how many times a week do you guys do conditioning exercise and martial arts skill training?

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I go training every night for two hours Monday-Thursday, once on Saturday, then a caveman session on Sunday.

I'm also doing sport and fitness at college. And yet I don't think I'm personally very fit.

7. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

What's a caveman session? :p just curious

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

guessing its like strongman work - kegs, tires and rocks

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much. And dead lifts, tire flips, sledge push, chain pull, box jumps rope climbs...

This week I get to wear a 20kg vest throughout the whole workout! Yaaaaay

/sarcasm

10. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

20kg vest that's hard-core man respect :)

11. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Valued Member

Instead of a written-in-stone order of what comes first, you might want to consider alternating your order of operations. Some days, you might want to go technique-first for the (very legitimate) reason stated by the "don't-test-me-on-this" guy. Other sessions, you may want to go with the strength-training first.

Why?

We are living organisms rather than machines. Subjecting yourself to some adaptation-related stresses would result in some decent flexibility in terms of your ability to deal with matters, whether you're tired or not.

Getting used to kicking right off the bat, while not tired, is good.

Getting used to kicking effectively, even while tired, is also very good.

You never know when--and at what time of your day--you'll need your skills. Best train to be ready, with those skills, at any time.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That weighs more than you do doesn't it? :p

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I think this is actually spot on. It is however most important to have the technique down before attempting to do it under pressure.
    I often end a training session going over technique as correct as possible. I feel it helps me correct the bad use during sparring.