Kyokushin staines

Discussion in 'Karate' started by RAGE93, Oct 20, 2013.

1. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

How's it goin guys i'm wondering if anyone goes to staines tigers kyokushin Karate, just wanted some general info what days the club is on times and what you think really. I have wanted to start Karate again and kyokushin caught my eye i use to do karate when i was like 13-14 im 20 now and 100% sure i want to start any info will be much appreciated thanks. :)

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dan 93 ....is training there....

3. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

Thanks i'll pm him

4. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

damn cant pm yet not enough posts

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll send him a PM asking him to reply in this thread.

6. Alansmurf

I, ll speak to him ....

7. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

much appreciated guys

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Someone call?

I train at Staines Tiger's Kyokushin. We train on Sundays 12.00-14.00 (sometimes to 16.00 but this is optional) and Wednesdays 19:00 - 20:30 at the Spelthorne Leisure Centre in Staines near the train station.

Good club with emphasis on strong basics, happy to recommend it.

You are more than welcome to attend, Dojo fee is seven pounds per lesson. Let me know if you need directions ect.

What Karate did you study before?

Osu!

Dan93

9. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

I done GKR karate and dont care what anyone else says even at that age i felt it was a mcdojo, it was just like if u do so many lessons u can go for ur grading. Stretches and kata where pretty good but apart from that i felt it wasnt very good. so i decided not to do karate untill i do loads of reserch and find the right dojo.

i managed to get in contact with mike tanaka and he said on sunday they do from 10.45-1.45 not saying your wrong because you obvs go there but thats the info he gave me

10. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

thank you for the info :) :D

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Osu! Sensei Mike does a childrens class first Adults start from twelve but some adults help from eleven thirty. Maybe he told you this so you could get some idea of the training before hand?

Keep to the times he has given and hope to see you on the tatami. Very different to GKR but that's not a bad thing, do a search here for more detail as I am writing from a mobile after my Jujitsu session at the
    Same venue.

Osu!

Dan93

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

oh ok you do jujitsu as well how do you find doing the two ever get mixed up and hope to see you to. not gonna come down wednesday due to someones bday but hopefully sunday if not i'll come next wednesday cant wait to come.

13. Alansmurf

Dan blends the two very well ...

Thats my unbiased opinion...

Smurf

14. RAGE93

RAGE93 New Member

Smurf i see that you do it aswell so your opinion has to be accurate seeing as you train together :)

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Smurf is my Ju-jitsu Sensei at a different club at the same venue. A very good instructor and promotes a friendly and hard working Dojo.

Both arts have different emphasis's Karate being pro-dominantly striking based and Ju-jitsu dealing with with locks, throws and ground techniques and atemi striking mainly to distract your opponent before locking/throwing so no issues with confusing stylistic differences and both arts blend well.

If you have not trained for a while it is better to get a base in one system before any thought of cross training in another discipline.

A journey starts with a single step, see you on the mats.

Osu!

Dan93

16. jedders

jedders New Member

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread!

I live not too far from Staines and have been trying to find a Kyokushin Dojo for myself to go to. On the GBKyokushinkai website I came across the Staines Tigers with instructor Mike Tanaka. I tried to email him but it failed. I tried to google the school but can't find any details. Just wondering if they are still going and where I can find some details?

Otherwise any other Kyokushin places you can recommend?

Thanks

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hi I don't train there currently as concentrating on my other martial arts and balancing my work/life balance.

As far as I am aware they are still training Wednesday's and Sundays at Spelthorne Leisure Centre.

They do have a group on Facebook. Sensei Jeff Harrison also trains there who is very good and has a small group in Sunbury (or did last time I trained with him) but it is invite only.

Osu!

Dan

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016