Rambo: First Blood

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Apr 25, 2013.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

A few days ago I watched First Blood, and to my surprise it was actually really good. Not simply as an action movie but everything about it was pretty good. I was especially impressed by Stallones' performance. I couldn't really believe this was him acting in the movie considring he's been pretty much a cardboard cutout in everything else. The movie also poignant in it's message. Also it had a message. One of how badly we treat our war vets.

It also features are young David Caruso as a rookie cop. I was half expecting him to put on his sunglasses and make a pun.

All in all a great movie and if you haven't seen it in awhile I highly recommend giving it a rewatch.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I keep meaning to watch this and the original Rocky too. I don't know whether he got involved in the production of the neverending sequels to these two films or what went wrong but it's a shame. At least Arnie has done a bit more variety even if his style is equally wooden ;)

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, First Blood is a very different film to the sequels. I think Stallone's career was somewhat hampered by his facial paralysis and voice, people were not inclined to use him for less blunt roles. I actually don't think he's that bad an actor, he's just had to work with what he's given. Certainly movies like Copland and First Blood show he's got more to offer.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

First Blood is a fantastic film and good book too (although that's diffeerent from the film of course).
    Stallone at the end gives a great performance and shows that, at one time at least, he could really act.
    Rocky's worth a watch too.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I liked 'Paradise Alley'. Stallone was much better when he had a sense of humour. Making endless sequels of Rocky and Rambo turned him into a parody of himself.

I suspect that everything he's done since 'First Blood' has been pants, but I've never felt like watching them all just to prove myself right!

6. Ben Gash CLF

You've never seen Demolition Man?????

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I most certainly have not. (Sniff, snort, etc.)

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Watch Cop Land!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+1 for Copland. Great film that.

10. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That movie convinced my dad to become a green beret!

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wait, what? You'd never seen "First Blood" before? Dude, you're making me feel old! I remember when it played in theaters. :mad:

But yes, "First Blood" is excellent, in a depressing way. The scene where Rambo cries in front of the Colonel chokes me up. Stallone scored the acting version of home run. Fantastic.

The first "Rocky" is also excellent, but in an uplifting way. That's a must-see movie. Stallone was actually nominated for Best Actor -- proof that he is an actor. His movie wife was nominated for Best Actress, and his trainer and brother-in-law were both nominated for Best Supporting Actor. The movie won Best Picture and Best Director.

But I would rather suck rotten cheese out of a dirty sock than watch "Demolition Man" again.

12. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

First Blood is a pretty good movie, I've seen it many times, couldn't even guess at how many over the years, the book was much better (they usually are).

I think Stalone does better in the action/comedy roles than straight action. I thought he did well in "Tango & Cash" and "Stop or my mom will shoot".

13. Ben Gash CLF

After defending Sly, I then made the mistake of watching Cobra today :( I was shocked at how bad it is.

14. Ben Gash CLF

What's wrong with Demolition Man? As a popcorn action movie I thought it was pretty decent. It's even got a soliloquy by Denis Leary on the right to personal freedom!

15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Heck if you watch First Blood then you should be appreciating the beauty of the south western British Columbia country side (think it was filmed near Mission BC). It was only after moving to the UK that I realised why so many Brits seem to feel comfortable in the rain, mist and fog of that region. ;' )

LFD

16. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

first blood was totally badass.

copland was totally badass.

thanks

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I loved that film when it came out.....I pretty much hate it now

I still like "Lock Up" for my sins

18. lorenzodamarith

hello,

hannibal?

you mean... marion cobretti...

ISN"T

your hero anymore?

cobra finds your lack of faith disturbing...

thanks

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He never was.......I was always a Harry Callahan kinda guy

20. lorenzodamarith

hello,

bikini... 40 quid.

kukri... 40 quid.

callahan... 40 years.

hannibal... priceless.

thanks