Straw Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cuongnhugirl, Oct 3, 2012.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

I saw this the same night i saw Beatdown, and since i reviewed Beatdown i guess i should reivew SD.

I've never seen the original which i understand was quite controversial back in the day, banned in Britain.

A Hollywood screenwriter named David Summer and his wife Amy travel to her hometown in Mississippi while he writes another screenplay. Davied doesn't exactly endear himself to the locals who he sees as ignorant rednecks. That causes a problem. Amys old high school boyfriend is still hot for her. Another problem. The retired football coach, played by screen veteran James Woods, is a major psycho especially after a few beers and he has a major problem with a mentally challenged man named Jeremy Niles having a crush on his 15 year old daughter Janice. Another problem. Janice has a school girl crush on Jeremy, another problem.

Eventually all these problems come to a head in an ultra violent climax in which David and Amys house is under seige from alcohol fueled rednecks who kill the local Sheriff when he shows up to difuse the situation. David turns out to be tougher than he seems, must have written some violent screenplays.

The film is well acted. The talented and experienced cast all turn in top level performances. The story is pretty simple, if you like that, and you won't be bored with the film.

Having not seen the original i can't compare the two versions but i give this one a thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  2. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

If anyone has seen the old UK version please write a review comparing the two versions.