8 week Weight Lifting programme

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, May 20, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

aim is maximal strength, programme for the next 8 weeks two sessions a week, will deload every 4th week, thoughts please.

Month 1

Workout 1

Power Clean 3x3
    Deadlift 3x5
    Squat 3x5
    Turkish Get Up 2x6 each side
    Unweighted Pull ups 3 sets till failure up to a maximum of 12

Workout 2

Power Clean 3x3
    Bench Press 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Antagonist exercise for the overhead press ?
    one arm dumbell Row 2x5 each side

Month 2

W1

Power Clean 5x3
    Deadlift 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Turkish Get up 2x6-8 each side
    Unweighted Pull ups

W2

Power Clean 5x3
    Bench Press 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    somthing here dont know what yet
    one arm dumbell row 2x5 each side

I have tried to make the accessory exercises (the last two of each set) ones which train antagonistic muscles to the main compound lifts (bench press/row etc), it would be especially helpful if people could tell me if there are better exercises I could be using in this role or if the ones I am using are on the right track. Also as you can see I don't have one for the overhead press yet so what would people recommend ?

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

antagonist to the OHP = chin-ups

3. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Upright barbell row, pullups or weighted pullups.

And for your bench assistance I would do heavy 1-arm dumbbell rows.

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah there on there as a match to the bench press, bent over row is what we some times call them over here, I guess that means barbell row to allot of people lol

5. GrappleorWrestle

Ah, sort of a kimura is a chicken wing for us wrestlers? Haha.

Yeah I use heavy dumbbell rows or kroc rows to help with grip strength as well. I hope you keep a log for your workouts, they are priceless and great reference for future programming.

Oh, I haven't looked, but if you have a log here on MAP I will check it out.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

iv never done one, never paid much attention to that side of the site really so dont even understand how they work very clearly.

7. GrappleorWrestle

Spiral notebooks are what I usually use as they are cheap. Paper is great until your house floods and all your books and manuals are ruined.

You can post on MAP for a virtual copy of your log or you can find another site that will give you a place to store what information you want to keep track of.

If I am serious I will post what I ate, how easy or hard the workout was, or how much sleep I had. But usually I just log what my workout was and the difficulty level.

8. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

It looks like a well balanced program at first glance, but there is a lot of information we don't have. What is your weight, and what are your current lifts at? Are you used to training this amount?

I noticed that you start with power cleans every time. I think that starting with an explosive movement is a good idea, but why only power cleans? Squat cleans, hang cleans, power and full snatches, these are all good movements and may break up the monotony.

Also, I noticed that one day you have squat 5x5 and the other 3x5. Is the weight the same?

What is the protocol for loading and deloading? I see that you deload after a month, but what if you are still going strong and don't need to? What if you need to earlier? Is it linear progression, or a periodization scheme? If so, what is the method?

Its certainly not a bad program from exercise selection, if that is what you are asking.

Edit: Are you going to test your lifts at the end? To see if you made progress in 1RM?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I weigh about 10 stone, couldn't give you my current lifts because I haven't done any weights in about a month, I am more than used to training this amount, you wouldn't know it to look at me because I have been terribly inconsistent with weight training but I put it down to a lack of knowledge which in the past lead me to try and do to much at once not lack of work ethic.

One thing I am definitely not used to is olympic lifts, so for this first 8 weeks I want to just concentrate on getting one right, the power clean specifically because its the olympic lift chosen in the starting strength programme which I based this on. Theres also a lot of material on learning it on the web.

for the first month I have all the compound lifts as 3 sets of 5 and the second 5 sets of 5 because presumably if Iv been doing things right by the second month ill be stronger and able to increase my sets as well as weights.

I am going to see what happens as far as deloading is concerned is that really a bad thing ? trial and error. This programme is a periodization if thats what you mean, or is part of a lose periodization scheme, its not easy to perodize properly in a sport with no seasons.

but ? lol

good idea.

10. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Apparently I need characters to make a message, that aren't in a qoute. Ignore this part...

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

like it.
    personally i'd squat before deadlifting though.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Cleans-deads-squats all in one workout may work with light weight. Once you're up to any kind of appreciable weight though it's going to be quite difficult to train all three intensely enough.

13. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Good point, I wouldn't squat after DL either.

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i was gonna say, why not program like almost every strength program does it, with one main lift and accessories.

most i've seen for various aims (apart from body building) split the lifts.

Most are split around:
    Legs (Posterior Chain) e.g. Back squats, Deadlift
    Legs (Anterior Chain) e.g. Front squats, Back Squats, Lunges
    Vertical Push e.g. Overhead press, Handstand Push ups (Closed chain)
    Vertical Pull e.g. High Pull, Chin ups (Closed chain)
    Horizontal Push e.g. Bench Press Variations, Push Ups (Closed chain)
    Horizontal Pull e.g. Dumbbell Row, Inverted Row (Closed chain)
    Loaded Carry e.g. Loaded Backpack walk, Farmers Walk
    Ab Work e.g. sit ups, russian twists, etc.
    Cardio e.g. run fat boy run

If you look at things like Starting Strength, it goes:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat - Posterior and Anterior Chain legs
    3x5 Bench Press - Horizontal Push
    1x5 Deadlift - Posterior Chain legs

Workout B
    3x5 Squat - Posterior and Anterior Chain legs
    3x5 Press - Vertical Push
    5x3 Power cleans - Vertical Pull + posterior and anterior chain legs

Thats Posterior and Anterior Chain legs, Push and Pull every work out. thats how most beginner programs are structured. no two presses or two pulls on the same day or more than 2 leg movements either.

15. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

You could, but the downside of those programs is the lack of weekly volume for each type of movement. If you only squat once per week, then you only squat once, simple as that. Same for any other exercise. It is hard to get good at it. I know that SS is different from that, but if he wants to get good at cleans, doing them once per week won't cut it.

A lot of the one main-multiple accessory programs are meant not or maximal strength, but hypertrophy. Its difficult to build max strength with a lot of accessory work, it ends up taking energy better spent on bigger lifts.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i dont see the problem with a guy weighing 10 stone getting a little hypertrophy :Angel: just dont move too high in weight classes, over 70kg is where things get scary

again OP is only getting to the gym twice a week. broomstick work would also be a good idea if he wants to get some technique down.

17. GrappleorWrestle

So basically split it to:

Monday - Squat and Bench Press
    Thursday - Deadlift and Overhead Press

or something along those lines.

That way you can maximize your time over 8 weeks. But if you want to keep your current setup and extend your program by a few weeks you could drop the weight of one of your major lifts by 30 - 50% and use it as an assistance lift and then the next week flip-flop.

Week 1:
    Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads/deads @ 50% 5 x 10, abs
    Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls

Week 2:
    Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, 50% squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs
    Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls

EDIT: Forgot to throw the flip-flop example in there.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I was aware that many people don't like to deadlift on the day they squat but lower/upper body splits between workouts is also a common piece of advice. They both contradict and I didnt know which was better so I went with one over the other.

19. GrappleorWrestle

Let me know how it works out. I am always interested in seeing peoples gains and the routine they used.

20. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

My mistake there, I read 10 stone and that seemed like a lot. Its only like 60 kg or something as google says, though I'm sure you knew that already, which is pretty light, though we don't know his height.

How tall are you?