Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Styles » Boxing
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 18-Mar-2017, 04:58 PM
the merc with the mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdiSco View Post
Thanks DP. Although, my no. 1 choice for a martial art would have to be Muay Thai .I don't care how effective BJJ is. or if grappling beats striking. boxing comes a close second. No other martial art has the same panache, versatility, practicality and ferocity!
The link I posted doesnt mention bjj.

MT is good. but training from YT isnt good, especially from "experts" who are nothing of the sort
Old 18-Mar-2017, 07:09 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
The link I posted doesnt mention bjj.

MT is good. but training from YT isnt good, especially from "experts" who are nothing of the sort
I know, I was referring to the other video that I posted the link to in which he says BJJ is his preferred Martial Art but I loved the video as it made sense.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu7YRjd86Y

And yes, that's why I posted the first two videos asking for opinions as the two videos didn't really make sense. I have a good boxing instructor. It's all I'm doing atm.
Old 20-Mar-2017, 08:13 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
"I'd rather get in the ring with a boxer than fight a guy throwing wild hayemaker".

Aye sound pal, I'll wave to you as you pass on by in the ambulance.
Hahaha. Exactly. I would rather get in the ring with wild haymaker man than even a guy with 2 months boxing not to mention an actual pro boxer.
Old 20-Mar-2017, 08:19 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Thanks Mitch. Found another gem of a video below (by Chadderz's instructor) and the guy I had the pleasure of taking a couple of trial classes under. This makes much more sense to me. Rick Young is just pure awesome (not to mention he's mates with Erik Paulson!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7BVCHctXg
Watching this guy work the bag at the beginning I could already tell I was going to agree with what he was about to say. Notice how you don't see those other two guys working a bag? Also the one guy had what looked like FMA training sticks in his bag, and in general people who do FMA do not have good hands. In my FMA class we teach some boxing, but if people want to learn how to throw real hands I tell them I can help them out to a point but they would be much better off going to a boxing gym and training (like I did).
Old 20-Mar-2017, 08:24 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
I have a good boxing instructor.
Then you are lucky and should stick with him and get good with your hands.
Old 20-Mar-2017, 08:35 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahadZubu View Post
Watching this guy work the bag at the beginning I could already tell I was going to agree with what he was about to say. Notice how you don't see those other two guys working a bag? Also the one guy had what looked like FMA training sticks in his bag, and in general people who do FMA do not have good hands. In my FMA class we teach some boxing, but if people want to learn how to throw real hands I tell them I can help them out to a point but they would be much better off going to a boxing gym and training (like I did).
The guy in the video is allegedly one of the bestime FMA instructors in the UK.

My Blog about combat sports
Old 20-Mar-2017, 09:13 PM
Angriest MAP resident....

Quote:
Certainly one of the top JKD guys thats for sure
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 20-Mar-2017, 10:17 PM
the merc with the mouth

Quote:
and a great boxer!
Old 21-Mar-2017, 12:59 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Well the man is clearly a very experienced martial artist. But I would guess that his striking is good most likely because he has trained other striking arts (like boxing) and not due to him solely training FMA. He may very well have awesome stick/blade stuff but I would be surprised if that is what made him good with his hands.

Basically what I meant was, and I still stand by this, that JUST training FMA will not give you good boxing/hand to hand combat skills. Of course in the PI a lot of FMA gyms are also boxing clubs. I know for my art, Bahad Zubu, GM Yuli trained boxers and trained FMA out of the boxing gym. But to think you will get good with hands just by training FMA is, from everything I've seen, pretty unrealistic.

Swinging a stick/blade is just too different from fighting with empty hands.
Old 21-Mar-2017, 06:38 PM
Valued Member

Of course, nobody would disagree that boxers have the absolute best hands (not that I'm biased....). not to mention the footwork/duck/slip/bob/weave/sway....
Old 27-Mar-2017, 02:51 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecifxZ03ds

I have only watched the 1st clip. I like his approach. Instead of covering your head with your arms, you extend your arms and interrupt your opponent's punch near his face (not near your own face). I'll call that "zombie arms" strategy. You try to fight in your opponent's territory instead of your own territory.

The moment that your opponent punches you, the moment that you block his arm, wrap it, and obtain a clinch.

In boxing slang that's called 'wildly over committing'.

Your opponent feints,you zombie lurch at him and can't block/slip/cover from his next shot (or 5).
Old 31-Mar-2017, 11:53 PM
Valued Member

This is what haymakers by untrained street fighters look like. Couldn't help but laugh lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YykCiWAPWW8

in this one, the big dude is certaily dangerous but I know boxers less than half his size who wouldn've more than held their own against this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4gncKvlMM

Last edited by EdiSco; 31-Mar-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-Apr-2017, 05:11 PM
Valued Member

An interesting thread with some good youtube clips and excellent comments and observations . As a boxing coach the nearest sort of equivalent is the long range hook although not thrown off the back foot (which is the way drunken yobs tend to do it) as it is hard enough to land a cross( the straight ) because of the distance ; although someone mentioned to me that the rear long rang hook is used in the UFC and Muay thai so I could be wrong.
The majority of street fights(with out weapons) are punches/blows to the head and stop when one connects knocking the person out/down . A good boxing gym will teach one a number of effective skills even against wild haymakers; as from the start one is taught to keep ones guard up; how to cover up, footwork etc in short how to deal with a punch to the head, as only punches to the head achieves a knockout. Therefore one is constantly learning to protect the head; one doesn’t use time to develop kicks and use of a martial methods weapons. Therefore in training repartitions its all about dealing with a punch, whether it be by counter punching; footwork, ducking etc. If one has had 3 months boxing training at a good gym from a good coach I would say one has an excellent chance of defending against a wild haymaker.