Advice on beginner boxer training gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shawnohernandez, Jan 15, 2017.

1. shawnohernandez

shawnohernandez New Member

I am 180lbs, 5'4", short, stout, frame and no experience in boxing besides training with my father at a young age to defend myself. I love the sport growing up and want to start training and see were it may lead. I am having a hard time deciding on which bag gloves to purchase. I want leather and Velcro strap if possible. I was looking at going with a 16oz glove for the verse the 14oz. The problem is I don't have a gym or any professional training facility near me for some sound help that I can trust and try on for fit. I was told to look at Winnings, Rival, or Cleto Reyes brand. I am not too concern about price and more more about protection that will last so under $100? maybe pushing over a little? Any advice anyone can offer on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless,

Shawn
    USMC

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Usually I'd say ask your instructor.
    Here I switch to a little OT question (sorry): How do you want to properly learn it, without one?
    Or do I misunderstand the point, that there is no club close to you?
    In that case: Ask your instructor ;)
    They usually can point the way.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you're a beginner some cheap gloves from Blitz will do until you are sure you want to take it further.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

5. shawnohernandez

shawnohernandez New Member

@Latikos: the only gyms around me are fitness gyms (golds gym, anytime fitness, etc...) without driving close to two hours away and the gloves they have are usually their own. I don't have an instructor either so I'm starting by myself in the basement with the knowledge from growing up for training.
    @unreal combat: I will look into those. Any particular ones you have personally used that you may recommend?
    @Simon: I have used wraps previously so I am pretty comfortable with them. Preference on 108 vs 180? thank you for the additional tutorials for some extra knowledge as well.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

7. Hannibal

I have a pair of their super bag gloves and they have proven nigh on indestructible

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My heaviest gloves are 14oz Venoms. I got them on sale on Made4Fighters. They are one of my favoueite gloves because, its actually 14oz overall and mostly on the glove itself where you need the protection.

I've seen some Everlast ones where it is advertised as 14-16oz gloves, but really they are 10oz gloves with 4 or 6oz on the wrists (totalling 14 or 16oz). Which is not good for you or your sparring partner.

9. Hannibal

Oh dear Thor above do NOT use my glove recommendation for sparring unless you want their face to look like burger meat!!

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Firepower or standard leather priced at £39.99 on their website. Make sure your gloves are leather and not synthetic. They I'll last longer.

You'll get a year or two out of the Blitz gloves with regular use so that will give you time to make your mind up about the sport without spending a small fortune too early.

www.blitzsport.com

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You're talking about hitting a heavy bag, right? "Bag gloves" to me means hitting the heavy bag. In that case, you can't go wrong with Title (title boxing.com). I've been using "Title Classic" for about 15 months now 2-3 times a week. Other people in my gym wear them, too, and they cost much less than $100 ! Heck, looking on that website right now I see a clearance sale for $10 and $20 bag gloves. :D

You should also check for gear at a used sporting goods store. There's got to be such a store near you. Maybe it has gloves and shoes and other things, maybe it doesn't.

As for weight, it doesn't matter if you get 14 or 16 ounce gloves right now.

12. Dave Sing

Dave Sing New Member

I went immediately with 10 oz gloves. 14 and 16 oz are too heavy for me. Anyway my sparring partners are already advanced boxers and they cannot be easily hit and they would say they don't have problems taking punches from 10 oz gloves.

13. Hannibal

Yet....:D

14. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

10-12 oz. gloves might be OK for some bag work. But 10 oz. gloves for sparring? Dave must really dislike his sparring partners :evil:

Most places I've trained won't allow sparring with anything less than 16 oz.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Monkey_Magic likes this.
  15. kingzcq

kingzcq New Member

I am a novice, 10-12 oz gloves I feel very tired, what can be overcome? Go to the gym, weight gain practice?

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

More practice. You'll gain strength with practice. :)

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

As aikiMac said, just keep going.

In the beginning I used 10oz gloves and these never were a problem for me at all, luckily.
    At some point I wanted new gloves, so I got myself 14oz - and had heavy arms for a while after keeping them up and hittig the heavy bog for example.
    I felt so stupid and was like: It's only 4oz more, it's not like you put steel in them! :D

18. Martinroy

Martinroy Valued Member

Hello...
    As you are going to start boxing training...I suggest you to use these RDX Boxing Gloves and Punching bags for training because of high quality and affordable price...
    Thnx

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  19. Kicksider

Kicksider New Member

I would say the most important thing when you buy boxing gloves is the safety and health of your own hands. That's why I would always use at least 16 Oz gloves. For me Top Ten has the best padding. It protects the hands very well with the padding right in front of the knuckles. 10 rounds of pounding the heavy bag is like a pillow fight with them. I got a new pair earlier this year and after months of use it performs like new.
    Here is the link: 16 Oz Top Ten Superfight

graden - 1 (1).JPG

One thing that I appreciate about training with 16 Oz gloves is the positive effect on upper body strength for arms and shoulders. It's a lot harder to keep your hands up when starting out, but once used to it I love how much stronger my shoulders fell.

Monkey_Magic and Mushroom like this.
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

16oz Venums are great. Because the padding is actually on the hands. I tried Everlast and although their 8s and 10s are good. Their 14 and 16s are a bit silly because, really all they were, were 8's gloves and the rest of the weight were on the wrist.
    People smarter than me can probably explain the "mass" and "force" etc... but for me, my knuckles still hurt if I went hard on the bags/pads.

Monkey_Magic likes this.