changing clubs to GTUK

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SheKicks, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

I'm fairly sure the sine wave thing serves exactly the same purpose as the stupidly deep and wide stances in some other styles. Ie. It conditions the leg muscles.

One of our instructors once asked us all what's the importance for proper stances. The usual flurry of answers came forth. Our instructor pretty much dismissed hem all, then asked what stances we all do when sparring.

The point he got to was that we train a few grossly exaggerated things in drills and forms so that we condition the muscles, while teaching our brains just what movement is possible. Then in sparring it all seems to go out the window, but in reality we find ourselves movingwith ever improving speed and agility.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's specifically touted as a method of power generation that is more "scientific" and unique to TKD. I have never heard any TKD Instructor talk about it as leg conditioning.

Mitch

3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Do you see people pull the opposite hand to the hip when they spar? IS it an overly exagerated movement found in patterns?

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Do an internet search for "Kinetic Linking" or "Closed Chain Linking" while the term is unique to General Choi, the idea of flexing the knees to generate power in hand techniques is not at all unique.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Peyton Quinn often states at RMCAT that he doesn't teach "Martial Artts." They then y=taught us exaggerated motions which tthey said will become smaller under adrenal stress but since they are learned larger they will retain power. I'm thinking seems like pattern practice.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Depends what they are allowed to do or not. Taekwondo sparring prohibits any grabbing or grappling whatsoever. As such there's not much point doing anything with your non hitting (dead) hand beyond keeping it up as a passive guard.
    If you're allowed to actually close distance into close range, clinch, grip, limb control, clothing grab, elbow, knee, forearm smash, etc then the non hitting hand will end up doing all sorts of things, including being pulled back in a reaction hand type motion.
    The reaction hand position comes from Japanese Karate (where it is called "hikite" or "pulling hand"...good clue as ti what it's doing in the name there).
    Japanese karate comes from Okinawan Karate.
    Okinawan Karate was much more a close-in, grip, rip and smash type of martial art that either Japanese Karate or TKD.
    The reaction hand is a legacy of this era of taekwondo's development rather than some sort of scientific breakthrough Choi made.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say the opposite is true. Small trained movements become bigger and harder to control.

8. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

That's pretty much my point.

There is a natural tendency to not bend knees much. Thus makes us clumsy slow and weak. In some styles very deep stances are drilled into us so that we get naturally used to using all the muscles in our legs over a wider range of motion. Then when sparring we don't sink into a deep stance, but we do use our legs a lot more freely and naturally than if we hadn't trained to get used to using them.

9. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Anyone can Google what happens to fine motor skills under adrenal stress and see for themselves

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I am sorry I must have missed where he claimed he discovered it was a scientific breakthrough. Please cite your source.

. The metaphor he used is unique to him in order to contrast with saw tooth and flat wave metaphors used for different motions the body exhibits based on if or how the knees flex. Again, the idea was not new or unique to him, only the way he described the motion.

You seem to see the potential value of the withdrawing hand and the exaggerated motion found in patterns vis a vis potential training or self defense use, yet you dismiss a similar stylized motion or exaggeration in patterns which you acknowledge is smaller in combat. Why do you criticise one and not the other?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016