Switching Martial Art

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Aaron87, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, see you at the British :D

Mitch

2. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Mitch,

Do you know what date the British is being held? I've seen two dates.. November 20th & 27th?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you (and me) go I might see you at the clash of the clubs on the 1st of October?
    Gavin said last night that Pat Carter's club is probably fielding 30-40 competitors. :)

4. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Yes it was mentioned! Not sure if I'll be there yet as don't have a TKD licence etc but I'll do what I can to get it sorted in time.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's an interclub for kids so you and I would just be spectators anyway. No need for licence to go and support. My daughter's still early days with TKD (she's 7 and a yellow belt) so I'm taking it very gently with her sparring so she's not competing. She got punched a couple of times last week in her 3rd sparring session and was close to tears but she got control of her emotions and still went back to training so I'm very proud. That's why I want her training to be honest. But I know if she gets hit too hard or too much at this stage she'd probably stop training.

6. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Ahhh that makes more sense!

There was talk of my daughter going to this, she gets her new sparring kit tonight as it goes..

I think she's up for it, her sparring on Monday looked very good.. I was impressed as it's only her 4 or 5th sparring session - Being a similar age to your daughter I'd assume they'd be in the same class if they both competed?

My daughter is 6 and a yellow tag.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Pretty much yeah. It depends for the clash of the clubs though. As I understand it it's tag team (3 kids) made up of kids with similar abilities regardless of grade. No one wears belts. So a yellow or green belt that competes loads, trains all the time, goes to squad train, etc might end up in with some blue or red belts that aren't the best at sparring or don't train that much. The important thing is for all the kids to have a good day, get used to competing in front of people and not be completely blown away by sparring too far above their ability. Last year's event in York was great.

Actual official TAGB competitions are different though. That's all done on grade and size (weight for adults, height for kids IIRC).

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

British champs looks to be the 20th of Nov to me.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

20th, yep. You can always check the calendar at www.tagb.biz for tournament dates etc :)

Mitch

10. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Thanks guys.. Was hoping it was the 27th! - Can't make the 20th. Damn.

Confirmed my daughter last night for the October 1st clash of the clubs event, so I'll be there!

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I might make the clash. Been asked if I can help out and all that. So we'll see. Best of luck to your daughter!

12. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Did you make it to clash of the clubs?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I didn't no. Too much other stuff going on in my life. Heard it was a good event though. :)