Olympic TKD musings

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smitfire, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Then why did several players do it in the Olympics?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Who?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah there's no sine wave in the olympics. Sine wave is an exaggerated movement affectation used in patterns that ITF practitioners have convinced themselves aids in power generation.
    You may have seen olympic TKD people moving up and down but that's not really sine wave.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Having watched the TKD this year, I did enjoy some of the matches. What I saw seemed better than some of the stuff I've watched in the past. As someone who doesn't fancy a lot of head contact but would like to spar, it did appeal to me. However, the scoring baffled me, particularly the way punches didn't seem to score anything whilst grazing the hairs on the chin with the tips of the toes seems to get high points.

My mum can't watch and I quote 'those silly bouncing people'. However, she also doesn't enjoy watching Judo, mainly as she doesn't understand the technical side of the competition.

5. liero

liero Valued Member

There was a disgusting moment.

I think it was the final with Lutalo from team GB.

There is a rule, if the foot touches the face you can protest. If it hits the head the electronics MUST score or you wont get the points. He kicks the head gear clean off the head and doesn't get a point. Even after a video review that shows the sucker getting clapped upside the head.

Robbery.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I watched that fight and agree it was a clear hit.

No idea why it didn't score.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's just how the rules are written. They've basically taken the referee's discretion out of the equation.

8. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Had he already used his video replay card as I can't remember? But going off that video it does look like he blocked the kick.

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes hopefully karate will represent better than TKD has these last few olympics.

10. liero

liero Valued Member

The post I made above about the headshot was in the same fight.

He did get clocked in the head in the last second though.

It's interesting when both players know the score. If the ripped off headshot had Lutalo ahead, and by a substantial amount of points. The fight may have gone differently.

On other notes (all -80kg men)
    1. I was a but upset by Aaron Cook's underperformance. But he is under more psychological pressure than most of the athletes out there.
    2. I was favourable of the wildcard entry for Miguel Ferrera from Honduras. He is a good rep for the sport in that region. Shame he couldn't capitalise on the qualification.
    3. It would have been amazing to see Steven Lopez medal at this event. I wonder if he will retire now?