Kuk Sool won/Lost my way

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyung1988, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

If I may Frodo, elaborate on why someone might ask about Kuk Sa Nim's wife. Sa Mo Nim is a big part of the organization, and is in no way illusive, an active student who attends tournaments or visits HQ will no doubt have interactions with her, as I stated before a trip to the kuksoolwon.com and a look at the media section you can see pictures of her at various fuctions. It is definitely a family run business, and as such she helps manage the business. So too those of us in the know, it's not too weird that Hyung would ask about her.

2. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

Mrs. In hyuk Suh

Obviously there are non Kuk sool won people piping in on this conversation. Now that I know there are (personal attack edited) on here I'll arrange for private talks with Kuk sool Won members only!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Hyung1988 - If you do change your mind and post on MAP again, leave out the personal attacks on other members. If you feel they have broken our terms of service, use the report function instead

Also, this is an open forum, anyone can post on any thread. MAP does not limit Kung Fu people to the Kung Fu Forums, MMA practitioners only on the MMA forums, or only Kuk sool practitioners on this forum. The idea is we share our love of martial arts and learn from each other. I have gleaned great knowledge from talking to people who practice different styles.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There are always different ways of approaching things.

MAP is a discussion forum. It's here to promote understanding and, well, discussion. :) It's designed to do this within particular arts, but also between different styles.

If you want to take an insular approach then that's your choice, but Obewan has demonstrated an approach that actually furthers understanding and promotes discussion, I'd hope that most people would prefer that :)

Mitch

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

funny story, but there is seemingly more ksw in peoria and pekin than the entire chicagoland area. so you never have to leave for your meetup, you're actually in the capital of ksw in fly-over country.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX1aaVyIOb8"]Wilco - Kingpin (HD/1080p) - YouTube[/ame]

6. Cullyksw

Cullyksw New Member

I found that I was not getting enough out of my 60min classes. I acknowledge that patience, repetitions and perfecting what you already know is a big part of martial arts. However I felt that to some degree it was limited due to it being a business. Making sure everybody is at the same standard for the same grading. I would literally learn 1 step in my form every 2 weeks.

People learn at different rates, have different fitness levels and put in different levels of commitment. I found the lack of physical contact even in sparring when you are head to toe in padding makes it very hard to transfer to the real world if ever needed which every martial artist hopes its not.
    It is easy throwing a knife hand in fresh air. Try throwing one when you have just been punched.

Not for me.

7. Nilla

Nilla New Member

Sounds like you have a hunger for fighting. I'd suggest a cage fighting school. You'll get punched, punch back, kicked, kicked back to your heart' content. Traditional Martial Arts can never provide that.

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just because KSW might not it doesn't mean that traditional arts can't and don't provide realistic feedback through contact sparring and resistance.

Just because someone wants more pressure in training it doesn't necessarily mean they have a hunger for fighting; they may just have evaluated that it's a necessity for learning the physical skills they are training. In my opinion that rational assessment of training doesn't always equate to a fighting temperament or a personal penchant for violence anymore so than the simple act of persuing martial arts in general does.

By the way, the discipline is named Mixed Martial Arts not 'cage fighting'.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In amongst many, many others, let's just mention kyokushin. Gis, bowing and as much ossing as a body can handle, along with all the contact you could want.

Beyond that is a long list of others :)

Mitch

10. Nilla

Nilla New Member

So, your school pits students against each and y'all go at it full speed? All techniques taught are allowed? Just curios.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kyokushin does yes - not all the time but certainly enough to satisfy most cravings whilst still maintaining the arbitrary "traditional" trappings

12. Hannibal

Oh and Mitch is - mainly - a TKD guy so wasn't speaking about his gym just for reference

13. Nilla

Nilla New Member

Yeah because the octagon isn't closed in with a lock on the outside? No chain link style fencing? I mean come on. It is cage fighting. Techniques taught in KSW would end up in permanent injuries. Elbow, wrist, knees, ankles, etc are not held on to submission they are attacked to failure in a 'real life' situation. You don't have to like it or disagree with it, I don't care. It is what it is. I have the multiple decades of experience in KSW, you don't. The only way to know if you can truly defend yourself is to find yourself in said situations. Rolling around on a mat at half-speed tapping out and you still don't know. Catching knife thrusts with wooden or rubber knives and you still don't know. Traditional martial art schools ultimately teach theory of application, not practice said application at speed. Just watch the forensic files episode where an all american D2 wrestler was stabbed to death while wrestling around with his opponent as to what I'm referring.

14. Hannibal

This is another rehashed "too deadly to spar" argument and is a fallacious as it has ever been

15. Nilla

Nilla New Member

So, you're saying for the world to read that in Kyokushin said practitioners can and do and are allowed to kick to the front of the knee at speed and force? Groins? Fingers to the eyes? Ear pulling?

16. Hannibal

Stop moving the goalposts and making up strawmen

17. Nilla

Nilla New Member

He wasn't talking about sparring, was he? "It is easy throwing a knife hand in fresh air. Try throwing one when you have just been punched." this is his quote, go read it.

18. Hannibal

Thats what he said, its not what you said - all you are doing is repeating a variation of the same, tired "street vs sport" argument that is a false paradigm clung to by those who eithwr don't know better or choose to not know better

If you cannot hit someone with a 16oz glove on you cannot hit them with deadly ninja fingers or judy-chops either

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

It might be worth reading the time stamp , it was posted nearly 18 months ago , so I doubt that poster will respond.

20. Nilla

Nilla New Member

I asked a question of another poster and you chimed in thinking I was saying something I wasn't. I asked another question based on your comment about my comment and now you are saying I'm changing the narrative, I don't think so. Like I said, traditional martial arts can't provide what he is looking for until he understands what's provided. He wants to be punched and kicked and to return fire at a point that possible injury is a high probability. I did him a favor by pointing him in different direction than traditional style schools. The business/clientele of traditional martial art schools is different than the business of cage fighting schools. At the end of the day, it is a business and returning clientele is paramount. Fee structures are a lot different in traditional compared to cage/mma/whatever term. I've never stepped foot in an MMA school, but all the videos, photos, etc would easily lead one to believe that there isn't the standard classroom structure of a carpeted/matted floor designed to handle 20 or more students at any given moment with all students in practicing the same area of the curriculum. They are more couture/specialized, kind of like boxing gyms. Jiu Jitsu is not mma and there are plenty of those schools that would be classified as traditional in approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.