New routine test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by furinkazan, Nov 24, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok, so I've been training pretty hard the last few weeks since my club has been pushing really hard on the training. Im enjoying it a lot, but I also want to lift weights and develop my muscles more, but currently trying to fit this around my schedule is proving to run me a bit ragged.

Monday: 1 hour MMA + 1 hour kickboxing
    Tuesday: 1 hour Karate + 1 hour MMA + 1 hour BJJ
    Wednesday: 1 hour Judo + 1 hour lifting (legs and lower back, so squat, deadlift)
    Thursday: 1 hour karate
    Friday: 1 hour lifting (upper body: bench, overhead press)
    Saturday: rest/ my own training
    Sunday: 1 hour lifting (usually secondary lifts, so arms etc)

The karate I enjoy the traditional stuff (such as the kata practice, even though we free spar regularly), and the judo has a lot of throws, take downs and is geared very strongly towards the competative nature in both submission and stand up phase. Because of this I wondering if I can dial back on the MMA classes (and particularly the 3 hours on tuesday, which Im finding is exhausting me for days after) and focus more into Judo and Karate with weight lifting as an addition and see if I recovery better

Monday: kickboxing
    Tuesday: Karate
    Wednesday: Judo + lifting (lower body)
    Thursday: Karate
    Friday: Lifting (upper body)
    Saturday: Lifting + kata practice
    Sunday full day rest

between this, uni and freelance work Im feeling a bit spent, and above all my sleep and mood are getting worse.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Instead of doing the same thing every week, vary you weeks ago up little, a four to six week cycle works well for me.

Your proposed week also has a lot less sparring based classes, (I'm assuming the BJJ and MMA classes are sparring based)
    No MMA, and no BJJ, this will be more restfull, but obviously sparring is central for development.

3. Bjjbrown

Bjjbrown Valued Member

Personally I hate seeing arm workouts tbh. I'd rather see you have separate lifting sessions for upper and lower focusing on big lifts . What is the aim of the lifting in your training?

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

There's nothing inherently wrong with an accessory day, few sets of high reps on lesser body parts can be a good thing, problem I see if you only have 1day of recovery in both of your plans, personally id programme in two days of rest first and programme everything else around them.

5. LandonS

LandonS Member

I see 3 days of lifting but your intent isnt stated for saturday. However the second routine seems much more balanced. Like deadpool stated I hope your getting some sparring in.