Routine help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wrath7, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

Hey guys, I've been doing kickboxing and american kenpo for a couple of years now, but recently I had to stop for about 3-4 months, and Im starting to train again, I only train at the gym two times a week now, and I've been wondering about some exercices I could do home (since I dont have any training equipment...) can anyone give me a tip or two about it? Cause I will have a fight in a month or two and I really think its time to start getting serious about it...

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

A month or two? You mean to say you have a fight coming up and you don't even know when it is?

Chadderz or others who fight can correct me if I am wrong, but if your fight is that close, it is a little late to be worrying about gearing up for it. Best advice is take your fight seriously a little further out - especially if the month or two is closer to one month.

All the same, best of luck to you.

3. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

A month or two... well yeah, because they are still scedualling it... I know I will fight just dont know exactly when... and for this, even if I dont want to fight, cause honestly I dont feel ready, Im the only girl there that can actually fight in tournaments so...they pretty much make me go xD
    Im just trying to work it out with the time I have :\

4. aaradia

Oh ok. Not a pro or amateur fight, but fighting in a tournament. That makes more sense then.

Still, weird that they don't have it scheduled when it should be that close.....

Sorry if my post sounded a little harsh then. I misunderstood the situation.

5. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

yeah, it happened to me a couple of times already, it makes it harder to drop weight and all that, but in my country fighting sports are still seen as more of... something without much importance, I think thats why this happens *shrug*

6. aaradia

Can you meet up for some light sparring sessions with members from your gym away from it?

7. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

Its not easy :/ Cause everyone works or studies..

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Firstly, if you don't want to compete you shouldn't have to. There should never be pressure in something you do for fun.

What format of fighting is it? Full contact or semi contact point sparring?

9. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

its full contact.
    Its not that I dont want to... its just that right now I dont feel ready

10. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I take it you're not asking about technique training?
    I'd suggest boosting your cardio, it can make the difference in competitions and I'm not sure how much you're training for it with just two sessions a week.
    Sprinting, skipping, bodyweight exercises circuits (did anyone say burpees? :cry: ) are some things you could do.
    This kind of training is the standard in most competitive gyms though, so you should be able to steal some ideas...what kind of training do you do at the gym?

11. Pretty In Pink

Well then my initial advice would be don't do it, and wait until you're ready.

Basic routine I'm using for full contact stuff is sprints, and lots of squats/dead lifts/ full body weight lifting. Flipping tires etc.

12. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

Im doing sprinting, squats, abs and some puch ups, along with technic and induration training. I've been trying to lift some weights but my upper body strengh isnt very good, I mostly use kicks when fighting...

13. aaradia

You say "but", like that is a reason to give up or not focus on the weights.

If that is a weakness, then it should be something you focus on. Maybe won't help one or two months out from the next competition, but as a long term goal for future competitions.

Replace "but" with "because."

14. Wrath7

Wrath7 New Member

Today I asked my coach if I could show up at the gym, I went there and did a couple of exercises, rope jump, some weight lifting, heavy bag, flexibility work and hitting pads.
    It was pretty good, got tired as hell but my cardio is in better shape that I thought it would be.
    I will try to go to the gym every day at later afternoon and maybe go run in the morning

15. Pretty In Pink

You don't want to be running for more than half an hour really. Mix runnin with sprints.

16. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

+1 to sprints

Prolonged running doesn't really simulate the demands on your body when you fight. Sprints and interval training can be tweaked to do a much better job of this :)

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it all depends on where his fitness is, if he has a resting heart rate in the high 60s and poor recovery he wont be able to do enough volume using sprints to actually get any benefit, in this case 30 mins in the minimum time needed to make the adaptions in his cardiac system
    It also depends on his training regime, if he is hitting that pads ands the gym every day he is getting enough anaerobic training, what he needs is probably aerobic training to increase his fitness whilst not wrecking his body for the evening sessions

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ood way to get the benefits if you plan them properly but there is a place for jogging as well

19. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I'm not saying that he shouldn't jog just saying there are more efficient/transferable methods of building cardio for a timed rounds type fight. Jogging does still have its place both as a base fitness builder and as active recovery but shouldn't nessacarily be the back bone of a competitive fighters training. Rounds on the pads, high volume circuits (in rounds) and sprints/intervals are probably more efficient methods than doing 30min+ runs.

That's based on what I'm told in boxing and my understanding of cardio training, other people may have other ideas and some good evidence to back them up with but I'm just throwing out my opinions. Not trying to say I have all the answers but I do think it's reasonably sound advice :)

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

one of the reasons I have always thought MMA guys tend to gas quicker than boxers (taking into the factor that the energy systems work in MMA is more complex depending on your style of fighting) is because of their over reliance on sprints, timed circuits and sports specific conditioning such as pad rounds without including a good volume of aerobic conditioning in the form or running or any activity where a steady HR of between 130-150bpm is kept
    It always amazed me that you see the guys on TUF for example gas during the first round of their prelims fights after doing all that sports specific training, interval work etc, then a couple of the guys I know got on the show and said they were over worked and did way too much intense training which meant coming into their fights there were drained (that and cutting weight and ther pressure etc which are also all factors)
    I think this is where most boxing gyms have it right, yes you need sports specific training in the form of pad work rounds, etc but you also need to continue to improve your aerobic engine (which is the cornerstone of most combat sports) in a way which doesn’t take away from your sports training sessions but enhances them, and jogging can be a good tool for this