Beginner's morning shadowboxing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, May 13, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Posting here the routine I do on the mornings when I wake up.

Joint rotations
    Dynamic stretching (leg raises front and side, 3setsx10)

2' left jab
    2' right cross
    2' letf hook
    2' right hook or right uppercut (depends on how I feel that day...)
    6' dodges (4 types, 1'30'' each)
    2' block (the block with the shin for low kicks, forgive me but I don't know the right name in English)
    2' parry

Relaxed stretching

It takes 30 minutes. Thoughts, advice?

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Well my only question is hows it working for you? Does it offer you what your looking for in a morning routine, it seems light to me but thats just because it dosent include any strength training.

3. Wildlings

Yep. I'm a beginner with strength training so I only do it 2/3 times a week.
    This morning thing is especially to work on my technique, and I have to say it seems to be working.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Might be more useful to do combinations rather than just 2 minutes of a single punch. People don't fight that way, so I don't see the benefit in training that way.

So instead of 2 min jab, 2 min cross, 2 min block, do 5 minutes of jab -> cross -> (pull/slip/bob&weave). It will work you harder and you'll benefit more.

5. Wildlings

Thank you for the advice :)
    Anyway, would kicking the air be useful?

6. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Shadow boxing, when done in a free flow, balanced and well rooted, can improve a fighters footwork and help teach you how you prefer to throw combinations efficiently.

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Kicking, low/high, knees, elbows should all factor in unless you are training for a sport that does not allow such strikes.

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I agree with the above statements about throwing combinations instead of single technique as well. I also am a morning practicer but since I dont have a lot of time in the morning I found that if I practiced all my technique from the fighting stance instead of the horse stance I could use combinations instead if singles, It has helped out a whole lot. For example one morning I might throw lead hand Jab rear hand cross, the next morning it might be lead hand back fist rear hand hook and so on. Same with blocks, I might do lead hand boxing perry rear hand dowmward block like Im blocking jab, kick combo. Kicks same thing, maybe knee knee, maybe front kick front kick just depends how Im feeling, and in fact throwing combos lets me know how Im feeling that day, where Im stiff where Im fast you know always listen to your body. I was doing strength training in the morning as well, in fact I still do sometimes, just be careful not to work so hard your smoked the rest of the day. My rule of thumb about workng out is
    1.Do I have enough food and water to do it and whatever else I gotta do for the day or night.
    2.When am I going to be at the most risk of being attacked at work or at home(whereever Im staying etc.) If home is a bad neighborhood I do my workout in the morning if I can recover during the day, like Im doing light work or whatever, I do my strength training at home at night If I feel safe there and allow myself to recover as I sleep, that way if work is in a dangerous place or Im going to a more dangerous place im fresh. Again keeping food and water in mind, I always want enough energy to do what I gotta do.