fear of sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Din, Mar 3, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it's normal, but it also depends if that fear causes problems for you at competitions. read the entire thread and you'll find some useful info.

2. chopperfan666

chopperfan666 Valued Member

maybe i have a high pain tolerance but after the first couple of times i took shots to the nuts(he kicked under my kicking leg) i dont even notice them anymore, just shrug em off like theyre anything else. good or bad?

3. tkd_master

tkd_master Human Punchbag

It's the same for me, I just carry on fighting. Can I still make babies do you think?

4. mjn

mjn Valued Member

Every week!!

I usually find willing volunteers at the end of class, there was even a queue the other week!

5. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

One of the things we do at my school is to pare the beginner students with experienced students so the beginner is not afraid to hurt anybody and the experienced student WILL not hurt them.

Another is to have use pads to kick each other.

Last and my favorite is to make them experience a pulled blow, "Like water splashing off their chest." (Stole that from our Master.)

Happy Sparring.

Nick P

6. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

Rather than introducing contact in sparring, make it part of the training. So after the warm ups and routines, do "target practice" with partners, and tell them that they have to make contact 10 times before swapping roles (one person just stands, does not defend, i.e. a punch bag). Obviously it must be very light - the aim is to get the attacker used to making some contact, and then receiving it too - so that they realise that they are not goung to kill their training partner when sparring.

I think that for many people when they start sparring, the problem is not if they can hit hard enough, but the constant worry that they are hitting too hard and will hurt someone. This happens because they do not know how a light kick / tap feels.

7. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

bingo!
    bear in mind the muscle control to make light contact everytime, without thinking takes time...
    when sparring against multi degree BB no problems, they fluid controlled, counter or acknowledge strikes and retreat momentarlily
    but when sparring against low lvl's , often they simply barge forward relentlessly, and accidents happen
    my worst problem, is with those that attend on an irregular basis or those that have skipped for a few years (e.g. since child hood), return and climb back up the ranks at speed, but still lack the neccessary skill to control themselves or there moves.

8. zionarbadon

zionarbadon New Member

I just had my first sparring class (we do sparring on Saturdays). I must say, at first I was a bit hesitant but I quickly got to hang of it when going up against a black belt guy. He didn't really defend much just trying to get me used to it, but when I went against my teacher who is a female I unwittingly shy'd away from attacking. I didn't really mean to though! She seemed a bit insulted and said "In this class I am not a woman!" Then our sparring time was over. xD Ah well, next time I'll try. I just have to reprogram my thinking.

I think that's part of the problem, they way we are raised to think makes it harder. I'm an outgoing person so I think it will be easy to overcome. Those who are less so may have a harder time but should still be encouraged and not get the "why are you even in martial arts" attitude from others.

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Shes right!

And give yourself a bit of time to settle into sparring before you start judging yourself... say about 6 months! :)

Stuart