Video for discussion

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jul 30, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The bartitsu guy was kind of fun:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x6WMIufaYI"]Jihi Bujutsu Kai Taikai 2013 JESSE BARNICK BARTITSU SCIENTIFIC PUGILISM - YouTube[/ame]

But Mr. Falcaro tries too hard to play the "wise mystical master" for my tastes.

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Geez without audio ( in a busy restaurant ) that was borejoysing ! I think that tank top guy could talk underwater !
    When I was taught to teach we has several exercises where for a full lesson you could only use one or two words and sometimes only gestures ( like pantomime). To avoid this very situation, the students 'takeaway' from that would be close to zilch I recon.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I would never leave students sitting around like that.

But, it is more of a talk/demonstration than a lesson.

In fairness, it probably looked good just in comparison to some of the others:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOU9sOFRpZM"]Jihi Bujutsu Kai Taikai 2013 O'Sensei Carlos R Febres Knife Defense 2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

He isn't going to help his case (or credibility) with hanging around "O'Sensei Carlos Febres" and the Nindo Ryu guys. :D

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I love that song.

6. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I am not worried about critique per se I wasn't looking for the slamfest, which is has not turned into .
    As for me. I am not worried about joining his system. 14 hr drive for me. I'm in Canada. My school has cross trained with them for about 10 years. In the last few however we've distanced. Now, I don't teach Japanese arts at all.

He was the best man at my wedding. So I know him quite well.
    Like I said we had different movement. Just looking for insight

I agree Jesse Barnick was great, I enjoyed that. That was the last time I was there. There was some impressive and not impressive things that day. But again it is just a demo thing.
    As for Febres Sensei. I have always had disagreement with methodology of the Nindo. I have known him for almost 20 years. So I have a personal bias. Carlos is a very good man. I have visited him at his home, nice family. His students as well.
    I have no issue having people know I know him. You don't have to agree on movement to associate.

7. bujingodai

But thank you for the insights. Definitely things I can see and agree and or disagree with

8. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

To be harsch, those videos looked like crappy M.A. to me. Definitely not ninjutsu no matter what anyone says.

Regards / Skuggvarg

9. bujingodai

That is correct it is not Ninjutsu. Nor does he say it is. Actually quite the opposite.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I assumed he was claiming to teach ninjutsu.....as you posted it in the ninjutsu forum.

???

11. hatsie

Nah at a stretch he says his system includes all techniques in ninjutsu, along with aikido, Kung fu, karate, bjj, judo, FMA....basically all martial arts everywhere even ones from scifi shows.
    "It's all here [big cheesy smile] I can keep talking"

I'll back that up with the clip when I have time, got a school run on.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  12. bujingodai

He had claimed parts of it years ago. But I placed it here since he was a topic for toasting at one time.

13. hatsie

What were you hoping for Dave ?
    I thought at first you were considering joining, now that's off the table and he's actually an extremely close friend, why would you want him re-roasted? Did he do the used car salesman routine at his speech during the wedding?
    "Without further ado Dave's a great bloke! Bride and groom!...... Now I have your attention, how much would you expect to pay to train with a bonafied soke of the worlds greatest... Most spectacular ...awe inspiring martial art in the world??! $350-$400 a month? Would be cheap! I'm not asking half that, $78.50 a month folks with free uniform....."

14. bujingodai

Actually we are not as close as you'd expect. Like I said, we've lost contact. Even the last Tai Kai, which was the 1st I went to in years was not the same for us. That being said actually I thought for discussion since he was toasted in years past the quality of what he comes across with was still more impressive than what I see here being looked up to. Opinions being what they are. I don't see a Kanner moving anything close to. So in the end I know very little. BUt it is what it is.

No he didn't do the used car thing at my wedding.

I was hoping for more open minded conversation, but I did get what I expected.

15. hatsie

Thanks, I'm sorry you drifted apart. Where I'm from its usually a brother or an extremely close friend for that role.

I thought it was open minded enough, what's to say really? He makes completely unusable techniques look good on willing, zombified or being nice, conditioned uke's. he has an incredibly high opinion of himself and his creation.

Like I said though, nice dojo 'interestng' stuff. If I was in the 'hood' I'd definitely have a bash at it, it does look fun. And as indicated previously, I wouldn't advise anyone NOT to go there, there's a heck of a lot worse around. I do however totally disagree about him being better than 'good' stuff on here, opinions vary :)

I really think it might behoove him to attend a Muay Thai, mma, judo or hard karate school to really give him perspective on his art and his current abilities. FWIW

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just because you don't like the responses doesn't mean it's not open minded.

He sucks Dave, what else do you want? Some tastey frosting on top of the discussion to make it appear more palatable?

Every time this bloke's clips come up they generate similar responses, there's a reason for that and it falls at his feet not of those making the comments.

He has awful structure, minimal zanshin and uses uke who fall over in a stuff breeze.

If you think he's good then great good for you but just accept that the majority of us think he's another fly by night "Soke/Hanshin/Shihan/Sensei" who should go back to being a rank beginner rather than a teacher.

Oh and he needs to stop try to out tradition the traditional arts , it's daft.

17. bujingodai

No I do appreciate your opinions. Please don't take it otherwise.
    We were very close. At a time.
    I have felt a lot of it, and seen obviously more than what is on video. So I would have a different take on it's effectiveness.
    Much like my rationalle to leave the Japanese arts, I'm not a pro at what to make of some of it. So it was nothing but discussion.

Thank you

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The same move has been repeated over and over in the following clip. This move in CMA is called "飄(Piao) - floating hand". It requires to use 2 hands to twist your opponent's arm. I don't know how can anybody be able to use just one hand to make this throw work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAXTYRwhkY&list=TLBYz-SE2WGGjVXVv9A0VUzaEPaPKH3uJ2&index=11"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAXTYRwhkY&list=TLBYz-SE2WGGjVXVv9A0VUzaEPaPKH3uJ2&index=11[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm quite close to where he operates out of. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice person, but I'd only go train at his facility if someone was paying me. If someone asked me I probably would advise them to look elsewhere. Like you said, everyone's got an opinion :]

20. hatsie

I hear ya, but I was thinking more from a hobby point of view than training in a martial art. Plus I'd like confirmation it is poor first hand as a martial art.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014