Kamae question

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by furinkazan, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

As far as I know there is no "kamae no kata" or kamae kata, but it is emphasised a lot in Japan that Kamae are not meant to be static, more snap shots and the transition from kamae to kamae is the foundation of taijutsu, so there is no predetermined order, but once the kamae have been understood they can be linked in a variety of applications - so enabling good defensive and controlling posture.

I have been shown a few sequences and practice a variety of them.

There is also a way to use kamae and not show it.

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Well, since you merely said practicing the transition from kamae to kamae was important, it was not clear what you meant.:dunno:

I would say that just moving from kamae to kamae as you see many foreign megadans do is pretty much nonsense. Now, if you had an application in mind like blocking an attacker's punch from jumonji and transitioning to hoko as you move in and go to attack his head, that would make a lot of sense. So doing this kind of practice, even without an uke, would be good training, merely moving from kamae to kamae without purpose or reason doesn't really. Everyone knows the taihenjutsu pattern to avoid cuts by moving from ichimonji to hicho, etc but there again, there is a reason for the practice.

3. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Do you not think the term "megadan" is a little bit derogatory to people of a higher grade than you, in an organisation you say you are in?

The flow from one kamae to another is what can be studied at a initial level similar to the Shoshin Gokei (初心五型) level of Sanshin no kata - solo training before moving onto Gogyo no Kata ( 五行の型) - practice with an opponent.

It is easier to master movement solo in isolation before adding in the complications of other people or weapons.

4. Please reality

No.

Simply because the people with the traditional grades in the ryu are those who I look up to and model my training after. They have the knowledge and skill to back up their dan grades but after 10dan, there's really no point. Comparing the dan ranking system in the Bujinkan to any other in Japanese arts, and you will soon come to the conclusion that they are meaningless. Even with just looking within the organization, you will see that there are some who are 5dan or below who are better skilled and more knowledgeable than those double their dan grade.

Finally, since some people exploit their high grade and try to get publicity and benefit from it without taking the responsibility that having a high grade implies, it doesn't seem derogatory to me to call them out.

If you have the skill and knowledge to back up your grade, you won't get upset when others question it, especially if you know that there are plenty out there with the same grade and questionable ability.;)

5. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I'm sure PR isn't trying to be derogatory towards all people ranked higher than him. ;) To be fair he does qualify the noun using terms such as 'megadans who suffer from gaijin butt', 'megadans who don't know anything about the ryu their practicing', or 'megadans who don't know the meaning of what is written on their shidoshi-kai card'.

Incidentally, auto-correct changes megadans to megatons. I find this amusing.

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Not really when you see what most of them are like, and a more appropriate description would violate the TOS

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, and the fact that everyone outside the organisation can see it too would make it kind of stupid to defend.

8. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

If you dont think the term "megadan" is derogatory I think that says a lot about you.

Clearly you and some guys have a problem with the way the buj is run, well you know who to complain too, but I think you know what the answer might be?

I still wonder why you pay your subscription to the Buj - maybe you dont?

;-)

Back to Kamae....

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

So you think that it is better for your organisation for members to keep their mouths shut if they have any concerns or reservations about it?

That doesn't sound like a healthy attitude to me, nor does it sound healthy for the future of the organisation and its members.

As PASmith said, this near-deification and "Hatsumi moves in mysterious ways" schtick is not a convincing argument.

He is a man that deserves respect for his dedication and skill, but he's still just a man.

10. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

no dont get me wrong, I am not saying anyone should remain shtum, just I think it more polite to talk to the right person if you have a problem, rather than vent your spleen on a public forum, if you are in that organisation. Its just basic manners.

And nobody said he works in mysterious ways, just he does things for good reason, which surely is better than doing it for a bad reason?

But this is off topic, feel free to start a thread on this subject if you like.

11. hatsie

Just a man! He is a living god! ......kneel before your god, Jaffa Cree !

I suppose when one resides in a glass house it's wise not to throw stones and minimize vibrations. The first rule of Megadan club; 'don't talk about Megadan club!'
    We know hatsumi sensei's opinion on Megadans 'if you inflate a balloon enough it will pop'

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  12. TomD

TomD Valued Member

IMO, the term megadan is indeed somewhat derogatory, and rightfully so. Isn't it used to describe a person of lofty rank (say plus 10th dan) who absolutely does not have the skill set and way of moving to back this up?

Regards, Tom.

13. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

What is the skill set used to "back up" the rank of 10th dan in Bujinkan? What about ranks above it?

14. hatsie

Theoretically the potential Judan will have a lot more than just the basics down, and are judged by their peers and put forth via written recommendation by same.
    The reality seems sadly to be light speed to 9 th Dan, a quick backslapping high five from the boys club, and another Megadan rolls out the factory (minus the basics down, plenty of time for that later)
    11-15 th would seem to be included with your passport stamp per annual visit.

15. benkyoka

I do feel it is derogatory. But in many cases that is warranted. Don't want to be made fun of then don't suck.

16. Please reality

It basically gets down to you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to bask in your high rank, you should have some commensurate skill and knowledge to back it up. If you go around calling yourself a Shihan or claim any rank over a few dan, you should be able to show what its worth.

But there's the catch, because people's high ranks are in BBT, not in ninjutsu or the ryu that comprise the Takamatsuden. So they are highly ranked in a nothing really unless they also have ranking in the traditional arts(like the real Japanese Shihan do). People get ranked yearly(some even sooner) just for showing up in country, or asking for it, so why should I or anyone else look up to such a person? It is easy to put the onus on Hatsumi sensei for giving the rank, but that's it. He gave it, nobody said you had to take it. So if you are ranked higher than you should be(based on your ability, knowledge, and skill), you are the only one responsible for how that looks and reflects on your own character.

So if you don't know what the kata and henka are, can't perform even basics correctly, and couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag, you shouldn't take people to case for not reveling in the amplitude of your belt. People who may not know any better might be impressed, but the isn't Ringling Brothers.

Having said that, mega just means an awful lot. In this case, an awful lot of dan and the millions of excuses that go with accepting it.;)

17. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

This may be your opinion and of course you are entitled to that, but is it not against the spirit of MAP and the ToS?

It is interesting how you have made no comment on the thread topic, but jump in to put me down as fast as possible, it appears to me at least you may be a little pre-occupied with people of higher grade than yourself.

I suggest you stop worrying about where other people are at as this can only hold your own training back.

So what are your thoughts on the Kamae?

18. benkyoka

Does this go back to your private messages to me where you concluded I must be jealous of you, your high rank, and the media attention it got you?

My thoughts kamae are pretty simple. They are of utmost importance. If you don't understand kamae and sabaki you will never truly understand budo taijutsu and never develop the feeling Soke talks about.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Niinpo if it looks like you are getting jumped on then it might well be because you are. To be frank you don't endear yourself to the general MAP population and you seem far too preoccupied with your rank and "status" than anything else, this usually does not go down well on online forums such as this.

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, I really do not have the intent of dragging you across the coals for the hell of it, I'm simply trying to make you see why you get these responses.

Being proud of achievements is great, although I'm not sure that a megadan rank is one, but it helps if that pride is backed up with other things.

You try to have a pop at the likes of Benkyoka, as we can see here, but unfortunately you often come unstuck when it comes to discussion of these arts , which at the end of the day is the very purpose if the forum, whereas he does not.

Seriously Buj rank is a joke in most instances and trying to make out Benkyoka is somehow jealous of yours is laughable.

You will find your stay here much smoother if you drop the grudge and leave the arrogance at the door, it does you no favours.

I'm genuinely sorry if this comes off as being arsey or whatever but every time I log on I see the same thing and I don't think you realise how it's making you look. People aren't stupid, you'd do well to remember that, and they can usually spot the intent behind a post.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You are on a sub forum where Frodocious is mod, you'd do well to spell your Stargate references correctly!

She has a special ban stick shaped like Richard Dean Anderson for the likes of you.